Panther Parkway Radio: Season Review, Coaching, Draft, Free Agency & Who Should Stay?

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
Tune in to tonight’s show where we discuss the biggest Florida Panthers news of the week!

Host: Paige Lewis
Guests: Frank Rekas, Dave Lasseter, Jameson Cooper and Mike Lewis (no relations to Paige)

Topics
Season Review: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
Coaching change?
Draft Lottery/Draft Day
5 guys you would want in Free Agency
Veterans. Who stays, who goes?
Does Dan Ellis have a future with the Cats?
Tanner Glass makes the world go ’round.

http://pantherparkway.com/2014/04/1...w-coaching-draft-free-agency-who-should-stay/

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Listened to this last night. Awesome job. Was surprised nobody mentioned Sam Brittain in the goalie discussion towards the end. Hopefully he gets signed and we have a Houser-Brittain combo in SA next year.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
Listened to this last night. Awesome job. Was surprised nobody mentioned Sam Brittain in the goalie discussion towards the end. Hopefully he gets signed and we have a Houser-Brittain combo in SA next year.

If Houser and Brittain are the goalie combo in SA next year, I'll just go ahead and park in the garage with the car running now.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL

While Houser and Brittain and both playing pretty well where they are right now, neither is still "projected" to be an NHL starter just yet. Team can't rely on either to be the goalie of the future at this point.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
The lack of a legitimate goalie coach assigned to SA is a travesty. Get a crowbar open the wallet and help develop the young goalies.

What happened to Markstrom this year is negligence on the panthers part.

And im not sure wtf Tallas does to earn his keep except watch videos of shootouts.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
My ears perked up a lot when Paige discussed that sick idea. I think for the most part it can realistically happen if every element falls into place with Bob Murray in Anaheim. Hopefully Tallon listens to the podcasts and is thinking of different scenarios about this as we speak.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
I am sure he has gone over that idea already..

I do not make that move unless i can be guaranteed Ehlers.

I just don't see Ehlers getting to the 10th pick

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
He's dipped a bit, but you have to admit he had some very good stretches here and there.

He's had two stretches where was above average, yes. But he's also had two stretches where he was beyond bad. Not exactly AHL starter material, IMO.

1st 5 games: 4-1 2.17 .917
2nd 5 games: 1-3 3.83 .887
next 7: 4-3 2.31 .923
Last 11: 3-6-1 3.59 .891

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
He's had two stretches where was above average, yes. But he's also had two stretches where he was beyond bad. Not exactly AHL starter material, IMO.

How much of the last part of that stretch had to do w/ FLA stealing all their players though? He's clearly in need of seasoning, but I still think he could be the SA #1 next season ... maybe. haha

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
How much of the last part of that stretch had to do w/ FLA stealing all their players though? He's clearly in need of seasoning, but I still think he could be the SA #1 next season ... maybe. haha

Well, in that same time frame, Scott Clemmensen:
7GP 3-4 2.58 .918

If that tells you anything.

I'm almost certain the Panthers will bring someone in this summer for the sole purpose of making Houser earn the #1 spot in SA. If Brittain signs, I see him in Cincinnati with an opportunity to move up in case of injury.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
I like who to select/not to select during the coaching segment. Good insight on who is a fit and who is not for the casual NHL fan.

Not so much on the FA front. Orpik and Glass? No thanks. We already have plugs. Top six wingers and dman who can play only. One of the guys during podcast selected four dman or something that were average at best. I'd rather stick with who we got + Petrovic + Ekblad hopefully and ONE good top 4 dman that can play either the PP or likely the PK (right handed shot if possible).

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
I like who to select/not to select during the coaching segment. Good insight on who is a fit and who is not for the casual NHL fan.

Not so much on the FA front. Orpik and Glass? No thanks. We already have plugs. Top six wingers and dman who can play only. One of the guys during podcast selected four dman or something that were average at best. I'd rather stick with who we got + Petrovic + Ekblad hopefully and ONE good top 4 dman that can play either the PP or likely the PK (right handed shot if possible).

Paige is a huge Penguins fan(or she wants to marry Crosby, not sure which) and sometimes that clouds her judgement, hence the Orpik comment.
Cooper has always been a Glass fan from back when he was in our system, and it's become a running joke with the Parkway crew it seems. He likes the scrappy hard working guys.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Paige is a huge Penguins fan(or she wants to marry Crosby, not sure which) and sometimes that clouds her judgement, hence the Orpik comment.
Cooper has always been a Glass fan from back when he was in our system, and it's become a running joke with the Parkway crew it seems. He likes the scrappy hard working guys.

Ya I get that from listening to a half dozen or so shows, but they were serious.

Orpik is a punk and would turn into Kuba overnight with turnovers galore and slow foot speed (we have enough of those guys already).

Glass is poor substitute for Winchester, Kopecky and those types. Rather a young kid fill that fourth line spot. We have quantity guys, just need the quality now in the top 6.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
He's actually Bylsma.

mind=blown

WinniJet

Jul 6, 2012

As an OHL fan and goalie fanatic. I will partake in this discussion. I enjoyed following John Gibson and Michael Houser for many years. And have continued to do so. OHL fans often compared the two for many reasons. Goalies notoriously take longer to develop. If I am correct, Houser just turned 21 this year. I believe he is the only American to win the Canadian Hockey League goalie of the year, he has plenty of time to develop. The question really is: is houser in the right system to develop? Does Florida have a successful history of developing it’s young goalie prospects?
Playing behind a 40-25 Norfolk team, Gibson had the same exact inconsistent stretches as your rookie Houser. For the sake of this discussion, two of the bad stretches are as follows:

.795 Nov 29-Dec 20 5 starts. 1-3-0-1 and
.885 Mar 4-Mar 28 8 starts 3-5

At this level of hockey, these players put trust in the teamates in front of them that they know their assignments and where to be. When that breaks down, that is when we as fans see quick unnecessary goals/2 on 1's/3 on 1's. Ugly play which polarizes goals allowed by young goalies.

When you use words like "beyond bad" when describing a two stretchs equaling 4-9-1
and 3.71 and then with the same breath use very uninspired words like "above average" to describe two stretches going 8-4 2.24 for a rookie AHL goalie, you sound like a frustrated fan whose team had a very rough couple of years.

The truth is, Florida/SA have a nice gem of a prospect in Houser. Florida actually has many nice prospects but how many are rushed up to the NHL without spending 1,2,3 seasons in the AHL. When you consistently see 4-5 prospects spending mostly the entire year in the NHL when you know in any of the top 5 organizations those same players wouldn't have even sniffed the big league, definitely leaves some very disgruntled AHL season ticket holders.

Keep giving Houser starts and bring in a goalie with at least a handful of NHL starts, 25-28 years old (who is happy to play in the AHL but is hungry to move up without entitlement), and stick him in SA to challenge Houser and pass along some polish.

If they want Brittain, sign him and put him in the ECHL. Technically he's older than Houser (couple months maybe) but has zero pro experience v Houser's 2 years.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad