Panther Parkway Radio: Ekblad, Prospects, Free Agency, Gallant & Playoffs

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
Tune in to tonight’s show where we discuss the biggest NHL & Florida Panthers news of the week! By the way, this podcast is terrible.

Host: Paige Lewis

Guests: Jameson Cooper, Mike Lewis, and Mike Obrand

Topics
Aaron Ekblad and Development Camp
Who impressed the most in Development camp?
How did the Panthers do in Free Agency?
Panthers made 6 Free Agent signings.
Playoffs? PLAYOFFS?
Jimmy Hayes going to arbitration
This show is terrible.

http://pantherparkway.com/2014/07/2...kblad-prospects-free-agency-gallant-playoffs/

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
Good stuff guys and gal.

Re: Kevin Hayes

I know the speculation is that he doesn't want to sign in Chicago because he wants an NHL gig, but has anyone ever confirmed that he'll only sign somewhere where he has a guaranteed job THIS season?

I can see him not signing due to Chicago's long term depth, but Florida has what 4 wingers scheduled to become free agents next season? All prime candidates to be shipped out at the deadline. He could have a full time NHL job by March (if he's earned one).

If playing with his brother is important, I'd think the Panthers have just as much of a chance to sign him as anyone, assuming he's willing to start the year in San Antonio as a top 6 forward.

No state taxes in either FLA or SA would sure help my decision as well.

As far as room in San Antonio, there's plenty of room. This team desperately needs a top 6 wing. Paige lamented about guys like Brickley and Hodges, but lets be honest...if Hayes isn't already miles better than those two (which I feel he is), the Panthers shouldn't even be trying to sign the kid.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Re Hayes:

I was looking around and hadn't seen anything saying he needed to play in the NHL next year. The rumor is over the treatment of his brother by Hawks that caused a rift. So maybe he is willing to (which he should) go to SA for a year.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
I am depressed by the lack of hockey knowledge in general...

Otherwise it's always cool to hear a podcast talking about the Panthers in the middle of the summer, and get different opinions !

It's a good job, and don't overreact like last time, I always use harsh words that's the way I am. :)

But yeah, just to give you an example, when Paige talks about her not wanting Rocco to be the one to move to wing, that she'd rather have him at center because he is great at faceoffs... That's true for sure, but she should know that Rocco played the whole year last year at RW for the North-Dakota Sioux and parts of the season before. She should also understand that we already have Barkov, Bjugstad who are great at faceoffs and who are big, along with Trocheck and Shore who are pretty good too... Rocco is too small to play center at the NHL level and she should recognize that. And the Panthers have groomed Rocco to be a right-wing in the future...

And just to make sure, I'm not directing my comments to Paige only, it is just the first example that came to my mind, you guys also had some comments that made me wonder if you really follow hockey.

But it is odd, because I like listening to that Podcast, but there is always those moments that make me go crazy behind my computer ! :laugh:

Keep up the good work...

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Re Hayes:

I was looking around and hadn't seen anything saying he needed to play in the NHL next year. The rumor is over the treatment of his brother by Hawks that caused a rift. So maybe he is willing to (which he should) go to SA for a year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicagoblac...234/agent-hayes-hawks-to-negotiate-again-soon

I remember reading this a while ago and it talks about how he feels with Jimmy being traded. It's from his agent so take it with a grain of salt.

Murray also previously said Hayes' decision would not be impacted by the Blackhawks trading his older brother Jimmy Hayes to the Florida Panthers in November. The Blackhawks had acquired Jimmy in a trade in 2010. He played 43 games for the Blackhawks over three seasons. He played 53 games for the Panthers this season.

"There's no issue, no problem," Murray said in April of the Blackhawks. "It absolutely has nothing to do with Jimmy. Chicago treated Jimmy fine. The trade probably helped Jimmy."

I always felt that it had to do with the fact that Coach Q doesn't like young players. He let Versteeg and Handzus kill that team in the LA series and didn't give Jeremy Morin a shot, though he certainly seemed like he deserved it. He's been really impatient with Leddy, as well, which is why he's been mentioned by some Hawks fans as a potential trade piece, though management likes Leddy and believes he's a big part of the future.

Hayes would likely spend at least two years with Rockford, missing out on NHL money over that time period, so he's probably turning his back on $1.5-$2 million for his first deal if he signs with Chicago. That's a lot of money for a young kid, and the NHL lifestyle is pretty awesome compared to the AHL. I would think that immediate NHL playing time is a major factor in his decision, but I don't think he would say no to a team like the Panthers that would give him a legitimate chance to make the NHL roster at the deadline (if they're out of contention) or especially in 2015/2016.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL

Otherwise it's always cool to hear a podcast talking about the Panthers in the middle of the summer, and get different opinions !

It's a good job, and don't overreact like last time, I always use harsh words that's the way I am. :)

But yeah, just to give you an example, when Paige talks about her not wanting Rocco to be the one to move to wing, that she'd rather have him at center because he is great at faceoffs... That's true for sure, but she should know that Rocco played the whole year last year at RW for the North-Dakota Sioux and parts of the season before. She should also understand that we already have Barkov, Bjugstad who are great at faceoffs and who are big, along with Trocheck and Shore who are pretty good too... Rocco is too small to play center at the NHL level and she should recognize that. And the Panthers have groomed Rocco to be a right-wing in the future...

And just to make sure, I'm not directing my comments to Paige only, it is just the first example that came to my mind, you guys also had some comments that made me wonder if you really follow hockey.

But it is odd, because I like listening to that Podcast, but there is always those moments that make me go crazy behind my computer ! :laugh:

Keep up the good work...

In Paige's defense, I thought she was talking about Trocheck when discussing moving to wing, and I do remember watching Rocco play center quite a bit this season with North Dakota (I was doing other things while listening, though, so I may be wrong about Trocheck). But I do agree Rocco will play on the wing for the Panthers. He played there during development camp and I thought he looked good, probably the best player through the week.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
In Paige's defense, I thought she was talking about Trocheck when discussing moving to wing, and I do remember watching Rocco play center quite a bit this season with North Dakota (I was doing other things while listening, though, so I may be wrong about Trocheck). But I do agree Rocco will play on the wing for the Panthers. He played there during development camp and I thought he looked good, probably the best player through the week.

Correct. She was talking about Trocheck in that segment. Rocco is all but guaranteed to be moving to wing this year.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Re Hayes:

Not needing to play in the NHL, just a legitimate shot. He's buried in Rockford the next 3+ years if he stayed in Chicago imo. Not going to be the case here or elsewhere.

I don't think he's made over the treatment of his bro, getting traded to Florida helped him alot, not sure why he'd be mad at that.

BureCT22

May 8, 2014
Trocheck had the highest average ice time for any forward who played for the Panthers last season.

So saying he's def not making the roster isn't too smart. I think the guy is NHL ready and proved it last year. Give the kid a shot, he has more potential than Howden/Shore, but that's just my opinion.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Trocheck had the highest average ice time for any forward who played for the Panthers last season.

So saying he's def not making the roster isn't too smart.
I think the guy is NHL ready and proved it last year. Give the kid a shot, he has more potential than Howden/Shore, but that's just my opinion.
People are trying to be realistic, the roster is crowded as it is already before counting in Trocheck.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
RE: faceoffs

Wingers can take them too, ya know. Just more situational, and requires they be played with a center who can also play wing if they lose the faceoff.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

So saying he's def not making the roster isn't too smart. I think the guy is NHL ready and proved it last year. Give the kid a shot, he has more potential than Howden/Shore, but that's just my opinion.

Where exactly is he going to play?

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach

Keep up the good work...

I'm pretty sure she was talking about Trocheck there. And for whatever is worth, I find her hockey knowledge to be far superior than some of the posters on these boards (including myself). When she discusses the unrealistic expectations of the fanbase and fans ripping Tallon about the Bolland contract while comparing the contract to what "better" players got elsewhere, I could not have agreed with her more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad