Panik headshot/Smith suspendable play?

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Dirty little slash by a frustrated Smith. He got pummelled after that one and rightfully so.

Panik has been a great pick up so far.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
His goal was also the result of a hooking on Tatar. And Toronto announcers said it was questionable if there were too many men when he took the pass.

Either way, reffing was terrible tonight.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
QfyDAQZ.png

I guess Smith's helmet is being magically pushed up on his head.

Because the force of being hit in the opposite direction of movement won't have any affect on a loose object sitting atop ones head?

This is something that I've noticed and bothers me around here. People claim head hit on any hit just because a players helmet moves.

stish

His goal was also the result of a hooking on Tatar. And Toronto announcers said it was questionable if there were too many men when he took the pass.

Either way, reffing was terrible tonight.

#Wings coach Mike Babcock on the #Leafs : "They were way better than us, way quicker, and executed."

I'll take his word over your 3 excuses in 28 words or less.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Because the force of being hit in the opposite direction of movement won't have any affect on a loose object sitting atop ones head?

This is something that I've noticed and bothers me around here. People claim head hit on any hit just because a players helmet moves.
Even better: people claim headshots because of a single frame that gives no evidence outside of "the head was eventually hit".

All that matters is what was hit first.

Lurked4Yearz

Nov 23, 2011
Quebec

I understand physics and also how to slow down video playback. If you watch frame by frame you can see Panik's shoulder make contact with Smith's head.

Again, I am not arguing for a suspension, only pointing out Panik did hit his head.

Lurked4Yearz

Nov 23, 2011
Quebec
Even better: people claim headshots because of a single frame that gives no evidence outside of "the head was eventually hit".

All that matters is what was hit first.

Watch the video at 0.25x speed and see for yourself. Shoulder makes contact with head, you can't deny it.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
New rule. If any piece of your body touches another players head, insta-ban! Same thing goes for the Despres hit. Ridiculous. It's just a big hit.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
I always love coming into these threads to see what plays in a game are supposedly suspendable. Personally all I see that that video is a follow through on a check that was shoulder to shoulder, a little slash that Panik tried to sell and a cross check that just happened to break his stick. I will be shocked if there is even a fine involved.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Need more angles of that hit. Inconclusive but looks like a headshot.

That slash/cross check was vicious. Deserves a couple games.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Guy lays a grey area hit, gets chopped in the ribs followed up by a cross check that broke Smiths stick, and Panik should be suspended? Smith should be suspended for losing a scrap to the Panik button.

Falcons93

Nov 30, 2008
Riiiight.

I suggest you go re-watch the fight. Panik pulled his jersey over his head and literally punched him 9 times if the face/head, most of which looked very solid - Smith had absolutely no response. That was a clear cut ass kicking by every definition of the term.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
No suspension.

Clean hit by Panik,

Smith is a dirty player.

But he got beat up for his actions so all is good.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
#Wings coach Mike Babcock on the #Leafs : "They were way better than us, way quicker, and executed."

I'll take his word over your 3 excuses in 28 words or less.

Sounds exactly like what the future Maple Leafs coach would say

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I loved that whole sequence (obviously), Franson bowling over Datsyuk with a forearm shiv, Kadri securing the win, Panik piling on by lining up Smith, skating around and coming right back with another nice hit on Smith, retaliation which leads to a fight which Panik completely owns.

If it was the other way around Leafs fans would be the ones feeling awful and looking for excuses.

Times are good right now in Leafs land but it probably won't last and Detroit is an amazing team that all NHL fans envy.

I'm so happy to have them in the East where they belong (remember the Leafs used to be in the WC too).

I see a new rivalry on the horizon (I hope) and can't wait! :yo:

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
As someone who hates it when Detroit players fight because they either lose or the fight is embarrassingly lame, I don't see the ass beating here.

He didn't bleed and got in a few shots. It's about as good an outcome as you can have fighting blind and bound.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
I loved that whole sequence (obviously), Franson bowling over Datsyuk with a forearm shiv, Kadri securing the win, Panik piling on by lining up Smith, skating around and coming right back with another nice hit on Smith, retaliation which leads to a fight which Panik completely owns.

If it was the other way around Leafs fans would be the ones feeling awful and looking for excuses.

Times are good right now in Leafs land but it probably won't last and Detroit is an amazing team that all NHL fans envy.

I'm so happy to have them in the East where they belong (remember the Leafs used to be in the WC too).

I see a new rivalry on the horizon (I hope) and can't wait! :yo:

This. The best thing to come out this incident/thread actually fuels a rivalry that never really existed until this year.

Glad to be in the east too. Much rather watch a game against Montreal/Toronto opposed to the divisional matchups Detroit had in the Central.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
This. The best thing to come out this incident/thread actually fuels a rivalry that never really existed until this year.

Glad to be in the east too. Much rather watch a game against Montreal/Toronto opposed to the divisional matchups Detroit had in the Central.

Seconded.

I'm starting to really hate the Leafs and... I love it.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Seconded.

I'm starting to really hate the Leafs and... I love it.

Yeah shame our season series is done though, it'll all be forgotten by the time the playoffs roll around if we even meet in them that is, odds are they don't play again till next season.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Also the absurdity of this being a head shot is laughable, the only person who could be suspended is Smith for his two handed slash and vicious cross check but I imagine he'd get off with time served for the fight and minor he was assessed.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Panik owned us tonight. I dont know how he usually plays but if tonight is telling...hes a very solid player. those hits..goal and fight is how every hockey player should play.

Good game tonight leafs...you looked good.

He was good tonight, but it's easy to see what Tampa was talking about with him. He needs to be physical to be effective, convince him to take the body and be a pest every game like he did tonight and we have a player we thought Clarkson was going to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad