Proposal: Panarin's RFA rights for Victor Rask

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Makes zero sense for any team to give anything for Panarin. He's going to be awarded so much money in arbitration, that Hawks will have to let him just walk.

Considering Rasks contract I wouldn't trade him straight up for Panarin.

Cute. Your GM would break his leg trying to get the paper work turned in extra fast for a deal of Rask for Panerin.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Well, the Canes would have to add more than Rask. Rask would have to be a starter.

I would do Rask and Faulk (50% retained) for Panarin.... Maybe.

Hanifin and Rask I would do... Maybe lol.

Your living in a fantasy land. Faulk at 50% Hanifin . While Panarin is very good he would not land you either of this defenseman let alone with any add or retention.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
All the Hawks have to do is qualify him.

Then they can sit back and match offers up until they fill comfortable.

I mean Panarin could just sign a 3-year bridge deal at 5 per...

Nope.

He's eligible for arbitration.

If he files, he can't sign an offer sheet.

PS: "Then they can sit back and match offers up until they fill comfortable." ?

That's not how offer sheets work...

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
How about we wait till he actually accomplishes this?

Yea the overstatement on rasks potential is just out of control at this point and im a big fan of him.

Just because he has a great start 30 games in, some are assuming thats the player he is and will be moving forward

Panarin just had another 3 pt night and has 32 pts in 33 games right now in a sophomore season after a 78 pt, 30 goal rookie year

I would love to continue to hear why people dont think carolina should even do a panarin for rask straight swap

Its beyond delusion

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Yea the overstatement on rasks potential is just out of control at this point and im a big fan of him.

Just because he has a great start 30 games in, some are assuming thats the player he is and will be moving forward

Who here has overstated Rask's potential? What do you personally believe is Rask's potential, and from where do you arrive at that conclusion?

I would love to continue to hear why people dont think carolina should even do a panarin for rask straight swap

Its beyond delusion

Do you not understand the concept of diminishing returns? A budget team is better off having a 60 point player + $3 million to spend on another really good (homegrown) player, than they are having one 80 point $7 million player. That's just basic mathematics.

This deal would make plenty of sense for a team that spends to the cap. Carolina is currently functioning 15 million below the cap and is competitive most nights due to the fact that they have relative depth and balance through the lineup. I'm not saying that Panarin's contract itself would ruin that dynamic, but philosophically it's a step in the wrong direction taking into account their financial situation (see Semin, Alexander)

Last edited:

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Who here has overstated Rask's potential? What do you personally believe is Rask's potential, and from where do you arrive at that conclusion?

Do you not understand the concept of diminishing returns? A budget team is better off having a 60 point player + $3 million to spend on another really good (homegrown) player, than they are having one 80 point $7 million player. That's just basic mathematics.

Being a budget team doesnt diminish a players true value

And just breaking down cap hits doesnt equate to game impact

Tarasenko at $7.5 mil is much better investment and game breaker than lets say shaw at ~4.5 mil and Kruger at ~3.0 mil

Panarin impacts a game at a FAR greater level of scoring outcomes and chances than rask does and its not even close

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Being a budget team doesnt diminish a players true value

There is no such thing as a players "true value." Any asset's value is subject to the judgement of the entity who owns it or wishes to acquire it. Would you pay $700 for a pair of Manolo Blahnik shoes? No, because you're a dude....but your girl might.

Panarin impacts a game at a FAR greater level of scoring outcomes and chances than rask does and its not even close

Got any numbers to prove this? I could just as easily say that Panarin's effectiveness is a result of Kane drawing attention away from him, but without numbers that show it, it's nothing but a bunch of empty talk and hearsay.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
There is no such thing as a players "true value." Any asset's value is subject to the judgement of the entity who owns it or wishes to acquire it. Would you pay $700 for a pair of Manolo Blahnik shoes? No, because you're a dude....but your girl might.

Got any numbers to prove this? I could just as easily say that Panarin's effectiveness is a result of Kane drawing attention away from him, but without numbers that show it, it's nothing but a bunch of empty talk and hearsay.

This is beyond dumb

Just because someone like eugene melnyk. (for example) doesnt want to pay someone market value doesnt mean thats not the market value because he is a cheap azz

Did you see panarins stats away from kane this year when paired with hossa and anisimov? Because i did and they were still elite so try again

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Just curious. Ignoring the whole trade proposal. What do you think Rask's potential is and what is the rationale for that assessment? I'm not saying I disagree or agree with you, just want to know where you stand and how you came to that opinion.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
This is beyond dumb

No, it's not. It's not even hard to understand, it's just simple economics. I make $45,000 a year. Should I go out and buy a $100,000 car? No, I shouldn't. It's an overreach of my financial situation. A $20,000 car makes way more sense for me.

Just because someone like eugene melnyk. (for example) doesnt want to pay someone market value doesnt mean thats not the market value because he is a cheap azz

You say "cheap", I say "smart" or "efficient" or "cost effective."

Did you see panarins stats away from kane this year when paired with hossa and anisimov? Because i did and they were still elite so try again

That does not preclude the possiblity that Kane is taking attention away from him, i.e. if teams are concentrating their #1 pairing and shutdown line on Kane then Panarin will face an obviously inferior set of players when his line comes on. But that was just a hypothetical, intended to prove a point which obviously has flown far over your head.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
No, it's not. It's not even hard to understand, it's just simple economics. I make $45,000 a year. Should I go out and buy a $100,000 car? No, I shouldn't. It's an overreach of my financial situation. A $20,000 car makes way more sense for me.

You say "cheap", I say "smart" or "efficient" or "cost effective."

That does not preclude the possiblity that Kane is taking attention away from him, i.e. if teams are concentrating their #1 pairing and shutdown line on Kane then Panarin will face an obviously inferior set of players when his line comes on. But that was just a hypothetical, intended to prove a point which obviously has flown far over your head.

Lmao you cornered yourself here. We're done

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Just curious. Ignoring the whole trade proposal. What do you think Rask's potential is and what is the rationale for that assessment? I'm not saying I disagree or agree with you, just want to know where you stand and how you came to that opinion.

Annual 50+ pt center

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Lmao you cornered yourself here. We're done

Cornered myself? How so? Are we no longer allowed to raise reasonable points of debate on a trade thread? Are salary cap/budgetary restrictions no longer to be considered on the trade board? Have I violated the TOS in some way? Please explain your reasoning.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
I... did not just see Rask AND Faulk at 50% retained proposed for Panarin..... did I?

I know the 'Canes are the most irrelevant franchise in the league and many have no clue about anything regarding the team, but for the love of ****ing god that's insulting.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Panarin will probably demand twice what Rask will earn the next 4.5 years.

Chicago has screwed themselves by giving Kane and Toews those contracts, umagine if they have to pay Panarin 8 mill and and have almost 30 mill tied up in three players.

Ouchie.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Nope.

He's eligible for arbitration.

If he files, he can't sign an offer sheet.

PS: "Then they can sit back and match offers up until they fill comfortable." ?

That's not how offer sheets work...
Finally someone else said it and Hawks fans are still ignoring it.

This is what several people here don't seem to get. Filing for arbitration means no offer sheets and it also means 1% chance of Hawks being able to pay the awarded contract. All team would need to do is wait for Panarin to hit UFA and just give him a 7 year contract for his prime years. Although I'm pretty sure someone will give them a 1st for the rights, but it's pretty much guaranteed he's not going to return as much as an offer sheet would.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad