News Article: Panarin: 'Unfair' if Rangers left out of playoffs

mynamejeff420

Apr 14, 2020
Unfair to him more than the Rangers as a whole. He nearly dragged that awful team all the way to a playoff spot, and he didn't even get a chance to finish the job with the season cut short.

That being said, it was absolutely necessary to cancel the season, people's lives are on the lines. It's just sports.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
My guess is this is a language/vocabulary issue. Maybe meaning "unfortunate" rather than "unfair". If there was actual games being played, this wouldn't even be a blip.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
This is what it comes down to. Short of playing the remainder of the season, any solution they come up with will be considered "unfair" by someone
I see no problem with playing the remainder of the games that were already scheduled. It's not like there was half a season left.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
There are so many unknowns at this point. It wouldn’t surprise me if games started back in 6 weeks or 6 months. I wouldn’t mind if they shortened the season - maybe get everyone up to 75 or so games then do a traditional playoffs. It should make the bubble teams feel like they got a fair shake and also provide a chance for everyone to get their legs back for a playoff run.

If the seasons going to go too long then you could always start next season a bit late and do 70-75 games. If everyone knows the amount prior to the start of a season then no one should complain. They’d just have to figure out cap implications.

Another possibility 7 vs 10 seed then 8 vs 9 seed so bubble teams feel like they got a fair shake but it feels more self serving as a Ranger fan than actually “fair” so I don’t see it. They could do a quick 3 game series - maybe at a neutral/safer site then slot into the 7th/8th spots. This is more a Ranger fan idea then what I’d consider a fair and objective hockey thought.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
How is it unfair? They aren't in a play off spot
I think a lot can get lost in translation. I took it as Panarin thinking its unfair the Rangers wouldn't get a shot to be in the playoffs IF the season ended and the league went straight into the playoffs. Didn't see it as a complaint of any kind. If anything, he's giving the impression that he wants to play and compete.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
It's only unfair because this unjustly robs him of a Hart trophy.

No chance that panarin was going to win the hart. Draisaitl was running away with the art ross, he distanced himself from mcdavid when mcdavid got hurt then picked up more points when he returned. Oilers were in a playoff position

Also the rangers are not a 1 player team as zibanejad had over taken panarin for the goals lead and was threatening to hit 50.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Panarin’s English is pretty terrible. I’m sure something is lost in translation, even if it’s just nuance. It’s probably just frustration at how close they’d gotten and how well they were playing. Like “cosmically unfair” that we won’t get to finish what we were on the cusp of accomplishing. Man, we micro analyze virtually everything when there’s no hockey on.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
No chance that panarin was going to win the hart. Draisaitl was running away with the art ross, he distanced himself from mcdavid when mcdavid got hurt then picked up more points when he returned. Oilers were in a playoff position

Also the rangers are not a 1 player team as zibanejad had over taken panarin for the goals lead and was threatening to hit 50.
Panarin actually plays defense.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I don’t know why you’d mention the Rangers not being a one player team while arguing the runaway for the Hart trophy plays on the same team as the guy sitting #2 in points.

The truth is, yes Draisaitl is the runaway favorite for the Hart, but it isn’t because he did any more or less than Panarin (or MacKinnon, for example) to drag his team towards the playoffs or be the “most valuable to his team”. It’s because, like the Norris, the voters to “look how many points he has!!!” and don’t actually vote according to the description of the trophy.

I’m not arguing Panarin should/shouldn’t have been the favorite, but he’s certainly a strong finalist in my mind.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
There's no way of knowing this.

Exactly the point, theres no way of knowing who should be in there so they should put anyone that could have made it in the playoffs otherwise it's not fair. Some teams have a good start, some finish strong, like we were, it doesn't mean we weren't going to make it. Having us miss it would be saying the first 12 games were worth more than the last 12 in a season. Whether they play the season out, have a play in series or start with all teams who had a valid chance to make it, it has to be done in a way that doesn't penalize teams for being better at the end than the start of a year. To me it needs to include us and the teams around us.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Nothing i am hearing from the NHL makes sense so Panarin’s comments fall right in line.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
If anything they should shorten the PO system, but finish the regular season. Whatever teams make it, make it. Finishing the 82, leaves NO TEAM feeling like they were cheated.

There is still plenty of wiggle room, they just have to make it happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->