News Article: Panarin: 'Unfair' if Rangers left out of playoffs

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Eh, look at the Isles, a point back with two in hand on Columbus. Or in the West, three teams could easily leap into the WC1 over Winnipeg. Tough to accept that.

We can't make an argument around games in hand but we're right there. Same for Florida. I would expect the players to feel like it's unfair, particularly players on teams like ours that came on strong as the season progressed. You go out there and expect to play 82 games. If the season is cut short by 12-14 games, guys will of course feel like it's unfair. Nothing wrong with that.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah, cutting the season short, it treats all teams equal, and is impartial. But it wouldn't necessarily be fair.

Problem is, whatever the League does, is going to end up unfair for someone. The just have to figure out what is most equitable, I guess.

This is what it comes down to. Short of playing the remainder of the season, any solution they come up with will be considered "unfair" by someone

Reactions: Captain Lindy

TrueBlue9

Apr 23, 2007
Shame for the players but best case scenario for the organization. They get to hang their hat on a productive and meaningful season, young players got a taste of important games and a playoff race and now they will be in the running to a better 1st round pick in a deep draft. We are still in a rebuild and a first round exit wasn't going to expedite the process.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Of course it's unfair in its own way, the team was on a hot streak and climbing the standings game by game. To claw your way back into legit contention for a WC spot only to be told the standings are "as is" would def. feel unfair to the players. You play 82 games for a reason.
Agreed. It’s definitely unfair for many teams in my opinion, and that of course includes the Rangers, who were playing very well and looking more and more like a playoff team. Not to mention this would be a huge boost to our young guys, but that’s another story.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He's just talking up his team and trying to inject some confidence moving forward, whether it's for next season or we eventually finish this season.

He's a good kid.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not convinced there is going to be a playoffs but if there is the NHL shouldn't try to prolong things. I wouldn't go more than 16 teams and IMO if they went with 8 it would be understandable to me. Probably 16 though and if that were the case the NHL should do three game series not 7 at least until the finals. Find one location--sequester the location and players--nobody in and nobody out at least until their team is done. Cut out all the extra travels logistics that you can.

As far as the Rangers--not making the cut and feeling like they've been cheated leaves them with good reason to return with a chip on their shoulders when the next season commences whenever that is. That should be a good thing.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I think the "the Rangers were hot and would have made a great run at it" argument is outdated. They weren't even playing that well towards the end. Lost to an injured Colorado team, had a 3 game losing streak in there.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
If we played 82 games we would’ve been. The team was clicking and it was noticeable, wasn’t just luck
Can't know that for sure though. You were on a hot streak now, but could have ended the season on a cold streak.

It's no different than the Flyers. I could say that they would have finished 1st in their division if their hot streak continued until the end of the season.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I get what he means and any competitive player should have that attitude the way this team has progressed this year.

Having said that, this situation is a fiasco without any precedent and it’s not anyone in or related to the NHL’s fault at all. However it ends up someone is going to feel slighted. I hope it’s not the rangers, but I’m not going to be too upset either way.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I think any playoff is going to be unfair and have an * next to it in the history books. They should just have a 8 team tournament. Top 4 for each conference and call it the Covid-Cup. All players and staff involved must pass a covid19 test. They play onsite at one location. Live stream/broadcast it. Will be a good opportunity for the NHL to level up their internet broadcasting tech.
BOS-PHI
TB-WSH
STL-EDM
COL-VGS

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Why not set up the playoffs like the first round of the World Cup of soccer? The teams have all said that they'd rather get some games in before the grind of playoff hockey.

There are sixteen teams in the East. That's four groups of four. Seed them accordingly (ala Boston, TB, Caps and Philly are all in different groups), and play an opening round. Top two teams per group move on, and there you have your 8 playoff teams. It gives the teams the chance to get their feet back under them w/3 games. It would be highly unlikely that any of the higher seeds would get bumped out, and then the playoffs could move forward in a familiar format.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad