"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
To Columbus
Rask
Debrusk
Peter cehlarik
2019 first
Conditional third(second if Boston makes it to the final)

To Boston
Panarin
Bobrovsky

This trade only happens if Boston signs both to extensions
Don't be absurd.

* * *​
I think Columbus is after the best single piece it can get for him rather than the best overall package.

They want to replace a significant amount of his production right away.
This; that's why I was characterizing it as "meh at best for the Jackets". DeBrusk is good and has the potential to be really good if not great, but we'd probably want to aim just a tad higher than that. Throwing in guys like Donato makes it more ugly for the Bruins without doing that much more for the Jackets, and that's not the sort of thing one wants to do when coming up with a good trade.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Let me preface this post with the fact that I realize Columbus may not trade Panarin at all. However if they get into the stage where they do decide to look at options, I want to know how far off the value of this trade is:

Boston receives:
Panarin

Columbus receives:
DeBrusk
Donato
Vaakanainen
2019 or 2020 1st

I think that is too much from Boston. The reality is that anyone trading for Panarin is trading for the rest of this season and playoffs. It really seems that everything that I have read seems to point to Panarin becoming an UFA.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Debrusk most likely not on the table at this point.
1st rounder likely not on the table unless its 2020 1st.

Panarin is a phenomenal player but the best Boston would likely put up would be:
Vaak (former 1st round pick)
1st rounder (2020)
Heinen/Bjork/Donato

weinsink

Feb 8, 2018
Let me preface this post with the fact that I realize Columbus may not trade Panarin at all. However if they get into the stage where they do decide to look at options, I want to know how far off the value of this trade is:

Boston receives:
Panarin

Columbus receives:
DeBrusk
Donato
Vaakanainen
2019 or 2020 1st
You out of your mind??

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Debrusk most likely not on the table at this point.
1st rounder likely not on the table unless its 2020 1st.

Panarin is a phenomenal player but the best Boston would likely put up would be:
Vaak (former 1st round pick)
1st rounder (2020)
Heinen/Bjork/Donato
Still wayyyyy too much for a rental. Even if it is the bread man.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Still wayyyyy too much for a rental. Even if it is the bread man.
I don't think Columbus trades Panarin as a rental unless they are out of the playoffs at the trade deadline. Return just isn't worth moving him.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Bruins would need assurances that Panarin would sign with them for this to be worth it.

And they likely aren't getting that. This isn't a case of Panarin wanting out of Columbus. It is a case of him only wanting to sign in 3 places and Boston isn't one of them.

LA, Chicago and NYR?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
LA, NY, Florida. I think it is likely that Panarin advised Chicago of his intent to go to one of those 3 places and that was a major reason why he was moved.

Prior to the fortuitous Hossa LTIR, it was a certainty that the Hawks couldn't afford to pay Panarin in 2019. This was well understood at the time of the trade.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I think Columbus is after the best single piece it can get for him rather than the best overall package.

They want to replace a significant amount of his production right away.

That's not a deal that will happen. I get the idea, and sure, the Jackets can just keep him if they don't get what they want... but I can't see a situation where a team is going to give 1 equal asset for a guy who is going to be a UFA.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
That's not a deal that will happen. I get the idea, and sure, the Jackets can just keep him if they don't get what they want... but I can't see a situation where a team is going to give 1 equal asset for a guy who is going to be a UFA.
I don't expect it to be an equal asset. I think the Jackets are looking for a player worth 75 cents while Panarin is worth a dollar.

And I don't think any deal will be done with a team that views him as a rental.

Unless the Jackets are out of the playoffs, he doesn't get moved in a rental deal.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
The only way this is going to work is if he gets top line minutes. No way a guy of his stature is going to play second fiddle to anyone. So are you moving Marchand or Pasta?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Prior to the fortuitous Hossa LTIR, it was a certainty that the Hawks couldn't afford to pay Panarin in 2019. This was well understood at the time of the trade.
That is part of it but it isn't the entire story.

You simply don't move a player of Panarin's caliber due to cap constraints or because your players want you to bring back someone else. You never know what is going to happen before you have to sign him and if worse comes to worse you pay to dump salary in a trade or buyout certain players.

Panarin is the kind of player GM's have to make room for and as long as he is willing to stay.

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I don't expect it to be an equal asset. I think the Jackets are looking for a player worth 75 cents while Panarin is worth a dollar.

And I don't think any deal will be done with a team that views him as a rental.

Unless the Jackets are out of the playoffs, he doesn't get moved in a rental deal.

But that's the thing:

If he is only going to go to NYR, CHI and FLA, and none of those teams are playoff teams (very likely) why do any of them make a deal for him? They sign him for nothing during the summer.

If he is going to a playoff team, the point is for the playoff team to be adding him to their roster, not just switching him out with someone.

What maybe makes sense for the Blue Jackets is nice, but doesn't make sense for any of the likely buyers.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
But that's the thing:

If he is only going to go to NYR, CHI and FLA, and none of those teams are playoff teams (very likely) why do any of them make a deal for him? They sign him for nothing during the summer.

If he is going to a playoff team, the point is for the playoff team to be adding him to their roster, not just switching him out with someone.

What maybe makes sense for the Blue Jackets is nice, but doesn't make sense for any of the likely buyers.
I agree which is why I don't think he gets traded at all and ends up walking. To get a deal done, the trade has to make sense for both teams considering where they are. The Jackets as a playoff team are more interested in what Panarin can contribute this season and in the playoffs than future assets. If Panarin were on another team, the Jackets would likely be very interested in acquiring him as a rental. And one of the three teams he is rumored to be interested in would obviously just wait until free agency.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
That is part of it but it isn't the entire story.

You simply don't move a player of Panarin's caliber due to cap constraints or because your players want you to bring back someone else. You never know what is going to happen before you have to sign him and if worse comes to worse you pay to dump salary in a trade or buyout certain players.

Panarin is the kind of player GM's have to make room for and as long as he is willing to stay.

I agree, that's what I would do... but there's little to indicate that that is what Stan Bowman was thinking. It looks like he just woefully underestimated the player.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The only way this is going to work is if he gets top line minutes. No way a guy of his stature is going to play second fiddle to anyone. So are you moving Marchand or Pasta?

The Bruins could give Panarin 20 mins a night just by cutting minutes to bottom six players that have done nothing so far this year. And Panarin has proven he can produce with anyone.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
But that's the thing:

Now you've learned what Jackets fans have been teaching all these months, grasshopper. A trade doesn't make sense.

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->