Speculation: Panarin to the Bruins

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I still haven't seen a convincing argument for why Columbus would be selling at all. They're a Cup contender.

Agreed, but are they willing to take the risk of losing both Panarin and Bobrovsky to UFA and not get anything in return?
I believe Panarin said he wanted to test the market

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
I don't see Columbus selling off soon, and probably not likely since they should be good, it will be interesting to watch simply because of how all in they will have to feel. As bad as Tavares leaving the Islanders was, they were a weak team with him, that can now focus on a full rebuild and had a good number of draft picks and budding superstar.

Columbus would fall directly from contender to mess if Panarin and Bobrovsky just walk. It's not that they will be worse then the islanders, but I would argue with the way the draft system works, it hurts more to drop from contention to mediocrity than it does to fall from mediocrity to the basement.

So a bad stretch of games in the middle of the season could put a lot of pressure on Columbus if teams like Carolina and New Jersey keep playing very well.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
In the abstract I wouldn't mind bringing Kuraly back home, but Panarin sure as heck won't be part of that discussion. ;)
Lol wish Chiarelli was their gm.

Could sell him on their intangibles. He loves a good intangible.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Bruins won’t want to subtract McAvoy or Debrusk from their team.

Trade wouldn’t be as spectacular as people think.

Donato + Carlo + 1st + 3rd

That's even more than Karlsson got. People will eventually learn that staples in the current roster (DeBrusk, Carlo, McAvoy, etc) won't be traded for rentals.

Reactions: John Bruins

John Bruins

Jul 3, 2018
Bangor, Maine
A Defensemen like McAvoy only comes around once in a generation. He up there with Eddie Shore, Ray Bourque. Of course there will never be another Bobby Orr. That is why I would never agree to trade McAvoy

Reactions: powerstuck

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
A Defensemen like McAvoy only comes around once in a generation. He up there with Eddie Shore, Ray Bourque. Of course there will never be another Bobby Orr. That is why I would never agree to trade McAvoy
Between this and the "DeBrusk will be as good as or better than Panarin" comment earlier, I think it's safe to say you've gone full homer and beyond.

It's not yet a settled question if McAvoy is the best defenseman in his draft year, let alone of his generation. For that last, there's two guys on the Jackets who have competing claims.

Last edited:
Reactions: CPTN71

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017

I am a Bruins fan and a big fan of Charlie McAvoy but this is ridiculous. He's about as good as Mike O'Connell at the moment and that is damn good but he doesn't deserve to mentioned in the same breathe as those guys. Maybe someday he'll be closer but right now, nowhere near those guys. The only guy in the entire league that is close to those guys is Karlsson.

Reactions: CPTN71

member 157595

I cannot tell if you're being serious or not, and that makes me terrified.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Agreed, but are they willing to take the risk of losing both Panarin and Bobrovsky to UFA and not get anything in return?
I believe Panarin said he wanted to test the market
He wants to test. He has said nothing about staying here though when he is looking. Might want to get abidding war for him and use it to stay. He might have a specific city in mind and is waiting to see what they offer. Right now he is not signing here but he is also not ruling out staying. He has said he regretted signing with Chicago to then be flipped. So this time around he wants the leverage.

That being said people need to stop saying he is a UFA or rental. Until the deadline comes he isnt a rental and likely any trade he is involved in would be a sign and trade. We will be in a playoff race and wont just give up the player who helps us have the best chance at winning. So we would have to get a deal that everyone is saying there is no chance for.

End of the day we are fine with Bob walking because that clears 8mil and we have to spend and we have tremendous goalie depth. We are fine with Bread walking. Its his right as a UFA and we would rather have him give us his best in a playoff run then get a couple picks and a young middle 6 guy.

From Boston with a signed bread... worst offer I accept is Donato, Carlo, 1st and 3rd.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
If this deal were to go down and Panarin is not signed there is no way DeBrusk, McAvoy or Carlo are going for a guy that may or may not re-sign. The deal would be something like Krug + Heinen + smaller piece like maybe Cehlarik and then maybe another player to be named like Zboril if he does re-sign.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
If we could land a signed Panarin for Krug + Heinen +2nd rounder, sign me up.
Losing Krug sucks and I respect the hell out of his skill but Panarin/Krejci/Debrusk as a 2nd line is amazing.
I just dont pull the trigger on Panarin if it involves Carlo or McAvoy. I want these two here for the next 8-10 years

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I still haven't seen a convincing argument for why Columbus would be selling at all. They're a Cup contender.

Columbus Blue Jackets ... who've never won a playoff round in the history of mankind and whose #1 center is ... Wennberg? Boone Jenner? Dubois? Dubinsky? ... is a Cup contender?

You can't be serious.

Panarin is an awesome player but you need some real players down the middle to contend for a Cup.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
He wants to test. He has said nothing about staying here though when he is looking. Might want to get abidding war for him and use it to stay. He might have a specific city in mind and is waiting to see what they offer. Right now he is not signing here but he is also not ruling out staying. He has said he regretted signing with Chicago to then be flipped. So this time around he wants the leverage.

That being said people need to stop saying he is a UFA or rental. Until the deadline comes he isnt a rental and likely any trade he is involved in would be a sign and trade. We will be in a playoff race and wont just give up the player who helps us have the best chance at winning. So we would have to get a deal that everyone is saying there is no chance for.

End of the day we are fine with Bob walking because that clears 8mil and we have to spend and we have tremendous goalie depth. We are fine with Bread walking. Its his right as a UFA and we would rather have him give us his best in a playoff run then get a couple picks and a young middle 6 guy.

From Boston with a signed bread... worst offer I accept is Donato, Carlo, 1st and 3rd.

I doubt you would get that type of package from Boston but hell yes, Jackets fans would probably drive Panarin to Boston direct for that kind of return!!

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I doubt you would get that type of package from Boston but hell yes, Jackets fans would probably drive Panarin to Boston direct for that kind of return!!

For a signed Panarin I'd trade pretty much anything in the Carlo/Donato level of value. We are loaded with B+ level prospects/young players and we need to cash those chips in. He immediately slots in right next to Krejci/Debrusk and finally gives us an elite talent not on the 1st line.

However, I don't think Sweeney would do that type of package unfortunately.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
It's not yet a settled question if McAvoy is the best defenseman in his draft year, let alone of his generation. For that last, there's two guys on the Jackets who have competing claims.

What defenseman do the Jackets have from the 2016 draft?

I think McAvoy is clearly the best right now from that draft class. He's been a #1/2 defensman since jumping on to scene in the 2017 playoffs where he averaged 26 minutes/game straight out of college. He's been the Bruins #1 D since that point IMO. He's still only 20 years old.

I don't think he would ever be on the table for a winger like Panarin. Signed or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad