Speculation: Panarin to the Bruins

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I still haven't seen a convincing argument for why Columbus would be selling at all. They're a Cup contender.
Ya that’s where I’m at with him too. Especially in a market like that that has seen a lot of non playoff years.

Unless the wheels fall off because of injury I think they’ll keep him as an own rental.

He’d be nice in Boston, but how do you justify trading away two or three current roster players for him when he can walk in the summer? I don’t think they want to trade a first this year either.

Now if Columbus decides those three roster players are Kuraly, Acciari and Nordstrom for some strange reason. I’ll drive them to the airport free of charge.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Ya that’s where I’m at with him too. Especially in a market like that that has seen a lot of non playoff years.

Unless the wheels fall off because of injury I think they’ll keep him as an own rental.

He’d be nice in Boston, but how do you justify trading away two or three current roster players for him when he can walk in the summer? I don’t think they want to trade a first this year either.

Now if Columbus decides those three roster players are Kuraly, Acciari and Nordstrom for some strange reason. I’ll drive them to the airport free of charge.
In the abstract I wouldn't mind bringing Kuraly back home, but Panarin sure as heck won't be part of that discussion. ;)

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
You managed to both make an ill considered statement about what the Jackets' priorities should be and describe exactly why they shouldn't be doing that in the same post.

Um, no, I'm not sure what part you missed? Early in the season more teams are overconfident about their chances whereas at the deadline things are close to set and teams don't want to give up high end talent. You shop Panarin now you likely get a good player plus picks in return. Shop him at the deadline and you'll get an underwhelming return of picks/prospects. Wait it out..and you'll get nothing, or just assume you're winning the cup courtesy of the Breadman, you know what they say about assume.

I bet Isles fans wish they'd sent Tavares packing last October/November.

Reactions: SabresSharks

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Um, no, I'm not sure what part you missed? Early in the season more teams are overconfident about their chances whereas at the deadline things are close to set and teams don't want to give up high end talent. You shop Panarin now you likely get a good player plus picks in return. Shop him at the deadline and you'll get an underwhelming return of picks/prospects. Wait it out..and you'll get nothing, or just assume you're winning the cup courtesy of the Breadman, you know what they say about assume.

I bet Isles fans wish they'd sent Tavares packing last October/November.
Pro tip: the Blue Jackets are not the Islanders. Not in name and not in situation and not in competitive status.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Pro Tip: One of the best wingers in the game has no interest in re-signing with the Jackets, lol.
And? The Jackets were competitive and making the playoffs before Panarin ever came to Columbus. Losing Panarin massively sucks, but it's not the end of the world, nor does it require that the team start over and rebuild.

That was my point. We are one of those "teams heading into the postseason" that "aren't as likely to dump quality players". Panarin is absolutely a quality player. Very high quality, in fact.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Yeah, Panarin is top shelf...and you can get an almost top shelf or potential top shelf return. Or sit on your hands like other GM's have done..they sit on their hands long enough that eventually they **** on their hands.

Too much politics being played by GM's, I say if a blue chip player's future ain't with the team: maximize return. Or, go from Panarin level talent...to 100% dropping in that level of talent once he's gone. The hope that one guy will make or break the cup chances when you know he'll be gone next year? **** that, again: maximize return. No need to "feel it out," the best return nets the best players OR the best future trade bait.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Yeah, Panarin is top shelf...and you can get an almost top shelf or potential top shelf return. Or sit on your hands like other GM's have done..they sit on their hands long enough that eventually they **** on their hands.

Too much politics being played by GM's, I say if a blue chip player's future ain't with the team: maximize return. Or, go from Panarin level talent...to 100% dropping in that level of talent once he's gone. The hop
e that one guy will make or break the cup chances when you know he'll be gone next year? **** that, again: maximize return. No need to "feel it out," the best return nets the best players OR the best future trade bait.

I haven't seen much inkling of an "almost top shelf" return.

Earlier we were discussing the merits of Debrusk as a return. He might be a good return, but he is not even close to "top shelf" and he is unlikely to ever be.

Given that, it's really nonsensical to describe keeping Panarin as a "make or break" proposition. Where is the "break" part when the Jackets are not forgoing any high end return, it's just the standard rental package with a small plus - a little better than the Rick Nash or Andrew Ladd return (for a player that is 10x as good)? There's nothing make or break about it - unless the packages get a lot better than is being discussed.

Reactions: Viqsi

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'd hope at some point people realize how foolish it is to say "you really don't want to wreck your franchise like the Islanders, here take this middle six forward and two draft picks for Panarin". As if any of that makes a big difference to a well-built but lacking-in-high-end team like the Blue Jackets. If you want to persuade us that something franchise-altering is at stake, then it should be because you think the Jackets would get an elite player for Panarin.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I just don't see Panarin agreeing to an extension with Boston and I don't see the Jackets moving him for a rental return.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

Too much politics being played by GM's, I say if a blue chip player's future ain't with the team: maximize return. Or, go from Panarin level talent...to 100% dropping in that level of talent once he's gone. The hope that one guy will make or break the cup chances when you know he'll be gone next year? **** that, again: maximize return. No need to "feel it out," the best return nets the best players OR the best future trade bait.
This post ignores the very real value of keeping Panarin for this season and the postseason.

If moving Panarin takes the team out of a playoff position, I don't expect management will do it. The playoffs are too important if for no other reason than the financial perspective. It is a financial boost which allows a team like the Jackets who have little else going for them to spend to the cap in subsequent seasons.

As a GM, if I had a choice between trading Panarin for a package of lesser assets and an internal cap of $75 million versus keeping him past the trade deadline, making the playoffs and being able to spend to the cap as I have been the past few seasons, I keep him and make the playoffs. And make no mistake, ownership has been very clear that the team can spend to the cap as long as they are competitive.

Last edited:

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I have a hard time believing that any team is going to give up high quality young NHL players for a pending UFA. Sure, a team will pay a high price, but it most likely would be heavily tilted towards a package filled with picks/prospects just like every deal for a pending UFA. Signed to a reasonable deal he would get a package like some of the ones mentioned here.

Reactions: Pia8988

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
I would love Panarin, but he would be wasted on the 2nd line. The Bruins desperately need a 3rd line C or an upgrade to Krejci (can't keep up with DeBrusk's speed)

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Carlo isn't a top Defensemen because he doesn't put up put numbers? Give your hear a shake, Carlo is a 6'5 physical shut down defender who has played top line minutes for multiple seasons and is only 22.

above average skater, especially for his size

- can be depended on to play over 20 minutes a game

- great defensive reads

- solid first pass and transition skills. Quickly moves the puck up

- great size and reach

- below average shot

- offensive IQ is there, but doesn't take enough chances to maximize his offensive potential

- while getting better at being physical, it's still a work in progress

There really isn't any set worth for a young player like him, since there's still a lot of room to grow and skills to be worked on. He's not a superstar, but he's not a JAG either. I would imagine young D with size and can play a vital role ( shutdown D with transition skills )

Carlo played top line minutes with Chara. Not taking anything away from what he could do in the future but you'd be wrong to suggest hes a top pairing D man right now. Just plain wrong. He also makes plenty of mistakes which is typical of a young player with potential, not a top D man.

Suggesting Debrusk is "going to be as good as Panarin" is ridiculous as well. Panarin has 250 NHL games and is near PPG. Debrusk is a stud and I'm happy to have him but hes proven NOTHING to be in the same breath as Panarin. Maybe some day but right now hes proven nothing.

McAvoy is completely off the table for me (even for a signed Panarin). Not directing this at you just saying in general.

My offer would for a signed Panarin would be this:

Donato, Heinen or Carlo
Zboril or Lauzon
BOS 1st 2020
BOS 3rd 2019

The years of the picks dont really matter to me but since we traded ours last year I'd prefer it this way.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
It's nice in terms of raw assets, but it doesn't constitute anything our team actually needs or can make use of now that would make the team better than what we've got with Panarin.

That's not how these trades work

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I’m not sure for who, and don’t belive the rumour but for some reason I can really see this happening via trade or FA. He would fit well there

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That's not how these trades work
Again, that's why we're more likely to hold on to the guy. Because if we can't get something like that, then trading him damages the team more than it helps. And the odds of getting something like that are, as has been repeatedly acknowledged, pretty low. (But you can't win if you don't try.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->