Value of: Panarin to NYR

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Kreider is absolutely not a non starter for Panarin. There are very few pieces in the organization off the table for Panarin. Maybe none.

But... as ****ing incredible Panarin is and he'd be the most dynamic offensive talent since 05-06 Jagr, we have no business making this type of trade right now.
Makes sense to me. I mean, he's awesome, but I can't see him boosting a rebuild per se.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
Kreider is absolutely not a non starter for Panarin. There are very few pieces in the organization off the table for Panarin. Maybe none.

But... as ****ing incredible Panarin is and he'd be the most dynamic offensive talent since 05-06 Jagr, we have no business making this type of trade right now.

Agreed. It comes down to simple asset management, IMO. I'm sure we have the pieces to get him, but at what point does the cost to acquire him outweigh the benefits? We don't have a deep prospect pool just yet, nor do we have a deep NHL-level roster. If you sacrifice that depth to acquire a player like Panarin, it's almost a step backwards for the rebuild.

Reactions: EssEmmEll

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Agreed. It comes down to simple asset management, IMO. I'm sure we have the pieces to get him, but at what point does the cost to acquire him outweigh the benefits? We don't have a deep prospect pool just yet, nor do we have a deep NHL-level roster. If you sacrifice that depth to acquire a player like Panarin, it's almost a step backwards for the rebuild.

I agree, and the Rangers have an excess amount of picks, spare parts (which will likely become more picks or prospects in the coming week, and capspace, whereas they only have so much room on the 50 man roster. A deal like this clears up some space for more contracts (for picks/prospects) and gives us an elite talent to build around. Panarin is 26 years old, he's gonna be around for a long time so why is acquiring him now a bad idea?

Reactions: BerlinBlueShirt

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
You're not getting Panarin for a bunch of yard sale leftovers. If you get him it's going to hurt. It's not the right time.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Any trade for Panarin for me starts with including the Rangers 9th overall pick.

I’m willing to put Panarin and the 18th in a package but I’d want #9 included in a package back. I also tie conditions to him resigning (which I think he would in a heartbeat).

Rangers are likely to say get lost which if they are indeed full rebuild then I would too.

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
No from this Rangers fan , rather keep Kreider,Hayes or 9th pick . If we get Wahlstrom we will have a younger player who can score at a much reduced salary.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I agree, and the Rangers have an excess amount of picks, spare parts (which will likely become more picks or prospects in the coming week, and capspace, whereas they only have so much room on the 50 man roster. A deal like this clears up some space for more contracts (for picks/prospects) and gives us an elite talent to build around. Panarin is 26 years old, he's gonna be around for a long time so why is acquiring him now a bad idea?
Because he isn't even willing to talk contract with a team he's suited up with. What makes you think he's just going to sign on the line here? And before you run all the reasons why NY is the end destination for every UFA we ever want here, explain to me which if those reasons would not apply when he hits the UFA status he clearly is interested in pursuing. Then explain why we shouldn't keep all our assets, not waste any years of his career being non competetive and just approach him when this team is in a position to do something other than just be the Artemi Panarin show every night with little success and have him walk away in frustration when the opportunity exists?

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Any trade for Panarin for me starts with including the Rangers 9th overall pick.

I’m willing to put Panarin and the 18th in a package but I’d want #9 included in a package back. I also tie conditions to him resigning (which I think he would in a heartbeat).

Rangers are likely to say get lost which if they are indeed full rebuild then I would too.

As stated in OP, we are in full rebuild mode and 9th isn't available. If you are looking for a high draft pick and not roster pieces for competing now, look towards a team like EDM. Regardless of value, making the 9th overall the main piece of a Panarin trade is a big step back for a team that has been making strides towards being a contender.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Because he isn't even willing to talk contract with a team he's suited up with. What makes you think he's just going to sign on the line here? And before you run all the reasons why NY is the end destination for every UFA we ever want here, explain to me which if those reasons would not apply when he hits the UFA status he clearly is interested in pursuing. Then explain why we shouldn't keep all our assets, not waste any years of his career being non competetive and just approach him when this team is in a position to do something other than just be the Artemi Panarin show every night with little success and have him walk away in frustration when the opportunity exists?

I thought it was fairly obvious that this trade is contingent on him being interested in being here long term, this would make zero sense for NYR to do if he isn't.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Regardless of value, making the 9th overall the main piece of a Panarin trade is a big step back for a team that has been making strides towards being a contender.

Yes i agree it is a big step back. But we can’t make him sign and the majority of the high end talent in this league comes from high in the draft which is why I would want a high pick back as part of a package.

Of course time will tell if CBJ mgmt feels the same.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ

They have an excess amount of picks, but a thin prospect pool. The whole point of acquiring these picks and adding young players is to build a new core that can have this team competitive for the next 6-8 years, maybe longer. Trading those picks and players takes away that ability, and almost defeats the purpose of a rebuild. And I don't know what you consider to be "spare parts", but none of what falls under that definition, in my opinion, is netting you an elite winger, in his prime.

It's going to cost, at a minimum, a key roster player and a top prospect and/or top draft pick, and then some. We don't have the roster depth, nor the prospect depth, to make a move like that and expect the rebuild to progress quickly. Trades like this are the exact reason why the Rangers are in this current position, they're not the solution.

Panarin is an elite player, no doubt. But acquiring him today puts us no closer to winning the Cup next year. And if we were to actually get him, by the time the remaining pieces were in place to compete for a Cup, he's going to be over 30 and carrying a heavy cap hit.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Why is Panarin even being shopped?

Moved from Chicago, now on the block in Columbus.

For me, as good as the player is, it raises red flags.

At 26 years old, he should be a guy you continue to build around.

As it pertains to the Rangers, there is no fit.

That has more to do with the direction we are headed. Great player, just not the time to be adding a great player.

We just started the rebuild 3-4 months ago. This is a deal you make as a statement that we are ready to compete again.

Reactions: EssEmmEll

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The price for Panarin is most likely something along the lines of Kreider, Skjei and the 9OV.

That’s a price I’m not willing to even consider.

Agreed.
However, I would take my chances with Andersson + Skjei.

Rangers are thin on LD now, but have 4 prospects so by next year this might not be as much of a prob as we build

We should repurpose Andersson and deal if price is high enough
which Panarin is.
We then roll with
Hayes-Chytil-Howden at pivots + Nieves top or bottom depending on how there is/is not synergy with Kreider
That leaves Zib who is our 1C unless eventually too much is put on the table to ignore.

Reactions: Elliman

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Apparently those who believe NY fans don't have patience for a rebuild are at least partially correct.

Last edited:

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
there are Rangers fans who wouldn't trade Kreider in a deal for Panarin?

wat
It's not the point if value. It's the point of us not being a whole lot closer to success with Panarin than we are with Kreider. This isn't the NBA. One guy can't put you on his back and get you there. This team is not one player away, it's many players away. It's not a question of an even swap, so no, I don't think we should go into the wallet and add when the end result in not going to change.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
there are Rangers fans who wouldn't trade Kreider in a deal for Panarin?

wat

Of course we trade Kreider for Panarin. If it's a one for one.

But we don't trade Kreider alongside the Andersson/Chytil/Buch/Skjei/9th OA/2019 1st package that it would take to acquire Panarin

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Kreider and Hayes is overpayment.

Kreider, if healthy, is a 20-30 goal player who will score 50+ points, while playing a physical game.

Hayes is a 45-50 point forward who can score 20+ goals.

Rangers would be trading two top-6 forwards for an elite winger capable of scoring 75-80 points.

You don't trade 45-50 goals and 100-110 points of production [both of which a good age] for a single player who will score 75+.

Panarin isn't Malkin or Ovechkin. If Columbus is expecting that type of return, they will be disappointed.

And I'm a fan of Panarin.

Reactions: slg1963

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad