Panarin to meet with Avs

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That's be quite the leap... I'd be shocked at 20M unless the cap explodes in the next 4 years.

If Mack was a UFA this summer, couldn't he (easily) get over 13-14M per? Thinking about it in that light; another 1-2M a year, after 4 more years of cap-flation, feels like lowballing it to me.

Not saying I think he'll hit 20M, but I do think 15M per will be at the bottom end of the fair range for MacK's next contract...unless the next lockout just kills all interest in the NHL from casual fans or we win so many cups in that time that MacK decides to give us a big hometown discount.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
No doubt in my mind there will be $15M contracts in four years time. Wouldn't surprise me if guys like Jack Hughes will be looking for those numbers out of their ELCs

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
If Mack was a UFA this summer, couldn't he (easily) get over 13-14M per? Thinking about it in that light; another 1-2M a year, after 4 more years of cap-flation, feels like lowballing it to me.

Not saying I think he'll hit 20M, but I do think 15M per will be at the bottom end of the fair range for MacK's next contract...unless the next lockout just kills all interest in the NHL from casual fans or we win so many cups in that time that MacK decides to give us a big hometown discount.

McDavid received around 17% of the cap in terms of his AAV at the time of his deal. In my opinion, McDavid's cap percentage sets the upper limit on what any player could seek on a deal. In order for MacKinnon to reach $15 million AAV on his deal (17% cap percentage), the cap would need to be around $90 million, or around a 10% increase.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
McDavid received around 17% of the cap in terms of his AAV at the time of his deal. In my opinion, McDavid's cap percentage sets the upper limit on what any player could seek on a deal. In order for MacKinnon to reach $15 million AAV on his deal (17% cap percentage), the cap would need to be around $90 million, or around a 10% increase.

Yeah, I suppose the next lockout will really determine this...because a 10M rise over 4 years feels like nothing at all to me, given that gambling & expansion revenues are set to just pump money into the owner's pockets.

And that's before we remember that McDavid's deal was signed coming off his ELC, whereas we are talking about a UFA contract for MacK*. So if things continue the way they are for the next 4 seasons & we win more than Edmonton does; MacK could have a strong case to not be restricted by McDavid's 17%...if he wants to push that.

*a UFA contract on which we may not be able to suppress the AAV by giving him those 7th/8th seasons, that would've given him security well into his 30s, if Henchy's right about what one of the next lockout's big changes will be; a 5/6-year vs a 7/8-year max.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Plus the 6.5 mil per season back pay for being underpaid for the last 6 years of his current deal

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think Avs can realistically get Panarin, but the only way we're going to get him is if we pay him as the most expensive player in the league with a full NMC or NTC on max term. Would people be okay here if we pay him more than McDavid?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think Avs can realistically get Panarin, but the only way we're going to get him is if we pay him as the most expensive player in the league with a full NMC or NTC on max term. Would people be okay here if we pay him more than McDavid?

I would go as high as 12.5 million.

I think that’s too much, but sometimes it takes some wild numbers to get free agents. We are entering a window and with Panarin and another mid-level free agent forward, we are as talented a team as there is in the NHL.

If the ask starts to go to 13-15 million, I think I’m out. At some point it gets a little ridiculous.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Not concerned about the price so much as them acquiring something they already have too much of. The guy is talented, sure, but do we need more middle-6 guys on this roster?

Leads me to believe that the UFA negotiations aren’t going where they hoped. Hope I’m wrong!

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado

As long as the contract ends when it's time to pay MacK. 100% yes.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I don’t see how the Burakovsky move could have any impact on a Panarin signing. It impacts bringing in a second/third line guy like Donskoi.

I mean, it’s not like this is the situation unfolding:

Panarin’s agent: “Good news Joe, Artemi is ready to sign with the Avs.”

Joe: “Appreciate his interest, but after signing future hall of famer Andre Burakovsky, we no longer require his services. And oh, on another note, we’re ready to lock down Varlamov to a five year 30 million dollar contract.”

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
We dont have a chance at Panarin.

And a Burakovsky trade would obviously have nothing to do with going after a top 5 player in his position.

Dater's hockey takes.. If he actually plays this up as something that made the Avs pull out of Panarin, putting that pressure on Burakovsky, I'll get pissed at him for real

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad