Speculation: Panarin to Detroit July 1st?

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
''I think he liked the idea of Original Six a little bit. I wouldn’t rule Detroit out of the equation, especially with the history Detroit has had with Russian players in the past.''

Here's the link

Would he be welcomed in DET?

Last edited:

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
He'd be a huge get but I think he and/ or his agent came out saying California teams, Florida teams, Chicago, or NYR last offseason.

Detroit if they were still contender status would have a great chance I'd think but with the current roster and the team's record the last few seasons I can't see him being very interested.

Detroit can sell him on committed, loyal ownership, team history, and state of the art facilities. But ultimately climate, location, or teammates could trump those things.

Reactions: Mister Ed

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Panarin and Karlsson are the only two UFAs I'd target. Doubt either of them would consider signing with no viable goaltending option. I think Panarin and Bob go to Florida and Luongo goes to Robidas island.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
You get jack Hughes and Panarin becomes very attractive imo. Would love to see a Panarin-Hughes-Mantha line.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Of course I'd welcome it, he's one of my favorite players to watch in the league and I remember being pissed that he signed with Chicago when he did. I really doubt it though.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Of course I'd welcome it, he's one of my favorite players to watch in the league and I remember being pissed that he signed with Chicago when he did. I really doubt it though.

I'd gladly run from offering him $9M+ a year.

... Though if it came down to him or Duchene, that's an easy choice.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
But if we get Artemi Panarin, when will we get an elite player?

Seriously though, there is little to no benefit of not going after a guy like Stamkos, Tavares, or Panarin like people were saying at the times those guys were FAs. The way that rookie deals are starting to get elevated, I kinda would like the cost certainty of what my top player is and then if you have the unforeseen happen and you draft the next Connor McDavid with a lottery pick two years into the superstar's 8 year deal, you still have a very high quality asset that you could pivot and get a ton of futures for.

Like anyone who would not be in favor of going after Karlsson this summer (provided he has interest) because we are still several years away. Or anyone who was anti-Tavares this past offseason (yeah, it wasn't likely, but there were people here that said no way). The way contracts are starting to work is when you are tanking you can either get a couple high picks and use up their cheap labor by the time you're ready to win and be paying them as much or more than a comparable FA.

Any guy worthy of tanking for is going to have a 10M+ contract once his ELC runs out. And if you're blatantly tanking, you're generally playing on several years of sucking. So, right when you are starting to get good, you'll have to re-negotiate all of your deals. Like how Toronto now has to finagle Marner and Matthews at the same time. I think with McDavid and Draisaitl and Eichel getting gigantic 2nd deals, the market is shifting for true star players coming in through the draft. Gone will be the 6M Nathan MacKinnon deal. Young guys and their agents know how much they're worth and aren't putting up with bridge nonsense.

And if the choice is John Tavares (who I know is a superstar center) for 11M or hoping beyond hope that I draft Jack Eichel and hope he develops into a superstar center and then pay him around 11M (10.5 for Eichel I think) by the time I'm actually competing, I go for the player who is a bonafide stud already.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
But if we get Artemi Panarin, when will we get an elite player?

Seriously though, there is little to no benefit of not going after a guy like Stamkos, Tavares, or Panarin like people were saying at the times those guys were FAs. The way that rookie deals are starting to get elevated, I kinda would like the cost certainty of what my top player is and then if you have the unforeseen happen and you draft the next Connor McDavid with a lottery pick two years into the superstar's 8 year deal, you still have a very high quality asset that you could pivot and get a ton of futures for.

Like anyone who would not be in favor of going after Karlsson this summer (provided he has interest) because we are still several years away. Or anyone who was anti-Tavares this past offseason (yeah, it wasn't likely, but there were people here that said no way). The way contracts are starting to work is when you are tanking you can either get a couple high picks and use up their cheap labor by the time you're ready to win and be paying them as much or more than a comparable FA.

Any guy worthy of tanking for is going to have a 10M+ contract once his ELC runs out. And if you're blatantly tanking, you're generally playing on several years of sucking. So, right when you are starting to get good, you'll have to re-negotiate all of your deals. Like how Toronto now has to finagle Marner and Matthews at the same time. I think with McDavid and Draisaitl and Eichel getting gigantic 2nd deals, the market is shifting for true star players coming in through the draft. Gone will be the 6M Nathan MacKinnon deal. Young guys and their agents know how much they're worth and aren't putting up with bridge nonsense.

And if the choice is John Tavares (who I know is a superstar center) for 11M or hoping beyond hope that I draft Jack Eichel and hope he develops into a superstar center and then pay him around 11M (10.5 for Eichel I think) by the time I'm actually competing, I go for the player who is a bonafide stud already.
I think Detroit would have a very hard time competing for a Stanley Cup after signing a superstar forward. As backwards as that sounds, here's why I feel this way:

You need (nearly) all the right pieces to come together at once.

Let's say they drop $10M on Panarin. And he lights it up here with Larkin and Company. And Zadina and Rasmussen develop quickly. And AA stays hot, and Mantha takes that next step. So you're really cooking with gas in the forward department.

You still have a mess on defense. And more importantly, a mess that isn't getting fixed quickly. So even if Hronek and Cholowski continue to grow, defensemen simply don't develop as fast as forwards. And now that you've unloaded a Brink's truck on a forward in free agency, how are you adding a significant defenseman (or two) to stabilize the blue line? By trading one or more forwards? Or rapidly emptying the cupboard and also trading multiple picks? (But keep in mind, you likely now have draft picks in the 15-25 range, instead of top 10, so their value is lower.)

If you're chasing a Cup in the modern cap era, you almost HAVE to have at least one great player still on an ELC, or your window begins to close as soon as it opens. I love the transparency that Toronto used for rebuilding, but even with hitting the lottery on Matthews, they are about to hit the same financial wall that Detroit would likely encounter, if the Wings made it rain on a forward this summer, because (IMO) they didn't do more to address the defense earlier in the rebuild.

Or are you suggesting that somebody like Panarin, when coupled with this current roster/prospects, would be approaching enough to contend?

Reactions: AttilaTheFun

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I hate to be that guy, but if he didn’t like living in Columbus or its night life, he’s not going to like living in Metro Detroit.

If he has any interest in Detroit, it’s likely for salary leverage. Kukla just wants clicks.

If were going to get our hopes up of one FA coming here, Karlsson and Duchene may at least give us legit (as in 5% chance) consideration

CaptainZetterberg40

Nov 2, 2014
I'd love Panarin, he brings the EFFECTIVE creativity and skill this team sorely lacks. But in my opinion, the current iteration of the team hasn't earned the respect of UFA's to be considered a possible team to help lead to contention. Yes we will have money and I hope it's what can talk the most (within reason), but I think we are in the wrong time frame for this years UFA's.

All things aside, my dream forward lineup involving this years UFA's has been (a few years down the road, when the kids are able to be in the lineup and contribute, NOT NEXT YEAR) as follows below. Sucks because I would LOVE Karlsson.

Panarin/Stone/Duchene(Maybe) Larkin Zadina
Bertuzzi/Rasmussen Veleno/Hughes/Kakko/Cozens/Dach Mantha/AA
Rasmussen/Bertuzzi Veleno/Hughes/Kakko/Cozens/Dach Svechnikov
Ehn Glendenning ???(one of our vets I guess)

I truly believe that unless BOTH Mantha & AA rise above and learn to compete hard and effectively to make a consistent impact on the ice as 1st liners, the only way we can compete and contend sooner rather than later is to have an impact UFA on both forward and D (no settlers like Nielsen even though he is fine as a 3c with salary out the picture).

Reactions: Henkka

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If you're chasing a Cup in the modern cap era, you almost HAVE to have at least one great player still on an ELC, or your window begins to close as soon as it opens.
Capitals? They returned the whole roster minus the backup goalie and 4th line center. They won't lose any of their star players next year either.

If the window closes, it's because they're all getting kinda old (Ovy/Oshie/Backstrom).

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Capitals? They returned the whole roster minus the backup goalie and 4th line center. They won't lose any of their star players next year either.

If the window closes, it's because they're all getting kinda old (Ovy/Oshie/Backstrom).

They're in a weird situation where their big deals have been around so long that they've become smaller deals. Should give Edmonton hope that in 5 years maybe their contract situation will be workable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad