Pan-American Ice Hockey Tournament in Mexico?

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Panamerican_Logo.jpg

Apparently this June there is going to be a men and women's ice hockey tournament in Mexico City in inaugurate a new arena. It was originally supposed to be in April but construction delays have pushed it back. Supposedly it's going to happen for real in June but information remains scarce, anyone know more information?

From what I gathered it's "sanctioned" by the IIHF, meaning they know about it and approve of it but it's fully organized by the Mexican Ice Hockey Federation.

The only other information I can find on it is information about the Brazilian team, their first ever competitive ice hockey competition, and confirmation from the Argentine federation (in Spanish). Like Brazil, the Argentine team is made up of inline players, although with slightly more ice hockey experience, having played a few exhibitions against Mexico last year. The AAHHL website has some good pictures of the women's team practising.

Participating nations include the US, Canada (both of who are allegedly sending some kind of U18 teams, but I don't know any more than that), Mexico, Argentina, Brazil and Ecuador. Chile, Colombia and Uruguay (who are not IIHF members) were initially supposed to be involved but apparently aren't anymore.

Is there anyone around here in Mexico City who would know more information? Even if the tournament itself won't be of high quality, it would be a big deal for the development of hockey in Mexico, and to a lesser extent Brazil and other South American nations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad