Proposal: Palmieri to Pittsburgh

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
'

IDK they all look pretty good to me. Palmieri is 30, a UFA, and could need a 5 year+ term contract to re-sign. Without knowing what exactly he'd take as a UFA all of those are decent trade packages.
Judging by last off-season and Covid I’m willing to bet Palmeiri is not gonna get what he’s worth. Especially when there are only a few teams that have the room to sign him. Most teams are trying to shed cap. How many more offensive prospects do we need? I’d rather take the chance and sign him for cheap if we can. poulin and moving up maybe a dozen spots is not worth a proven KP. I’m banking in him wanting to stay.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Does anyone understand what the word strategy means?

3 year remaining cup window means you don’t care about any futures in those 3 years. Pens need all NHL ready players for 3 years.

This is it for the Penguins. Last cup window for a long time.
Some think their window is already closed.
OGC.0a33ed912f10a0539cbd39e0c6d9b0a6

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I want to re-sign him first and foremost. I look at what Dadonov got and expect that Palmieri will get slightly more. Whether it's an extra year or an extra million I'm not sure but I don't see him getting anything crazy in this market.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Interested in exploring different trade scenarios for Palms if NJ continues to struggle.

Zucker for Palmieri
Kapanen for Palmieri
McCann and Poulin for Palmieri
Poulin and 2022 1st for Palmieri and 2022 2nd

Depending on whether NJ wants to weight things more heavily towards youth, futures, or cost certainty.

Stupid to send Poulin and Poulin and a first for him.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Interested in exploring different trade scenarios for Palms if NJ continues to struggle.

Zucker for Palmieri
Kapanen for Palmieri

Depending on whether NJ wants to weight things more heavily towards youth, futures, or cost certainty.

Terrible trades for Pens. Why give that up for a rental? Is this Ray Shero? Don't like giving up young assets for a rental. Rather trade for someone with term and in primes.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Rather Devils keep KP if not no interest in Zucker.....Kapanen or the picks I would be more for but do not see Pitt trading Kapanen after giving up a first for him already unless they have buyers regret and know it's a bad fit....

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Terrible trades for Pens. Why give that up for a rental? Is this Ray Shero? Don't like giving up young assets for a rental. Rather trade for someone with term and in primes.

Of course we'd rather get players with term and in their primes. Unfortunately you can't have everything, and we've had a Kessel-sized hole on our PP for a year and a half.

How many skilled RH shot wingers who could help our top 6 and PP are available? How many of them are in their primes with term? If there's anyone, do we have the assets to get them?

Palmieri wouldn't necessarily be a rental either.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
KK is 24 years old, Palms is 30. How is he not a fit for NJ timeline?

KK signed for 1 more years...then you sign him to a 5 year deal for his 26-30 year old seasons. So you would have him for 6ish years.

He would be a "vet" for the "now" kids in a few years. the last 2+ years(160 games) he is on a 45 pt pace/82 games. Nothing crazy...but very good depth. And his speed fits perfectly with ow NJ plays.

What I see the devils lack in their top 9 is a tough goal scoring veteran, isn’t that palms??

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
What I see the devils lack in their top 9 is a tough goal scoring veteran, isn’t that palms??

Devils need a more simple minded grind it out forward rather than today’s version of Palmieri at this point. Palmieri produces but he isn’t solid shift-in-shift-out forward and doesn’t seem to work too well with Hughes or Hischier.

I wouldn’t mind doing Zucker for Palmieri. Maybe the Devils add in an extra forward prospect like Seney to give the Penguins a long-term prospect to justify a deal.

Zucker + 3rd/4th for Seney + Palmieri could be a smart deal for both sides.

Devils will have a top six sized hole for a veteran forward if Palmieri leaves. Devils don’t seem to be an attractive UFA destination so getting Zucker is a solid lateral move.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Of course we'd rather get players with term and in their primes. Unfortunately you can't have everything, and we've had a Kessel-sized hole on our PP for a year and a half.

How many skilled RH shot wingers who could help our top 6 and PP are available? How many of them are in their primes with term? If there's anyone, do we have the assets to get them?

Palmieri wouldn't necessarily be a rental either.

How about we stand pat and then make moves in the offseason like dealing Malkin and Letang if possible instead of adding to a team that isn't a contender.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
How about we stand pat and then make moves in the offseason like dealing Malkin and Letang if possible instead of adding to a team that isn't a contender.

I think this core deserves to have it's best chance to win again before dismantling it, which includes filling glaring roster holes.

The Penguins aren't going to have these kinds of talents again for awhile.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

Zucker for Palmieri
Kapanen for Palmieri

Zucker- NJD can do better by trading KP for picks and singing free agent,
Kapanen- That is a fair offer.
Mccann and Poulin Mccann is not a needle mover for me.
Poulin and 1 get back 2. Best offer and the one I would pick if NJD.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
I think this core deserves to have it's best chance to win again before dismantling it, which includes filling glaring roster holes.

The Penguins aren't going to have these kinds of talents again for awhile.

How about no. We have wasted alot of assets the last three years with this core to win again and its failed miserably. Time to keep picks and prospects and unload Malkin and Letang. Why prolong this crap? We have glaring needs with them, so ...

This organization is where it is relative to farm system because our former GM made horrid decisions trying to fix the glaring holes. That didn't work. We have no cap and few assets.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
How about no. We have wasted alot of assets the last three years with this core to win again and its failed miserably. Time to keep picks and prospects and unload Malkin and Letang. Why prolong this crap? We have glaring needs with them, so ...

This organization is where it is relative to farm system because our former GM made horrid decisions trying to fix the glaring holes. That didn't work. We have no cap and few assets.

Our former GM made a lot of mistakes, including misidentifying problem areas, and he wasted a lot of assets in that way.

If you use assets to address real problems, like the PP and a skilled wing for Malkin, then you give the core the best chance to succeed.

Again, the Pens aren't going to see a core this talented again for a long, long time. It's been the most successful core of this era, and they deserve the opportunity to see what they can do this year when supported properly.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Our former GM made a lot of mistakes, including misidentifying problem areas, and he wasted a lot of assets in that way.

If you use assets to address real problems, like the PP and a skilled wing for Malkin, then you give the core the best chance to succeed.

Again, the Pens aren't going to see a core this talented again for a long, long time. It's been the most successful core of this era, and they deserve the opportunity to see what they can do this year when supported properly.

No, its time to break it up and not screw around anymore. I wish Penguin fans would realize it. Same stupid move the Old GM made. Don't care if they don't see a core like this. Malkin and Letang both aren't valuable enough to hold onto anymore. If you can get something for them, you move them and get assets. We aren't a contender.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
No, its time to break it up and not screw around anymore. I wish Penguin fans would realize it. Same stupid move the Old GM made. Don't care if they don't see a core like this. Malkin and Letang both aren't valuable enough to hold onto anymore. If you can get something for them, you move them and get assets. We aren't a contender.

We fundamentally disagree on these players and where the old GM went wrong.

If you can show me deals where JR made real efforts to bring in players to help the PP, I'll happily concede. But we both know he didn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad