Proposal: Palmieri to Pittsburgh

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Interested in exploring different trade scenarios for Palms if NJ continues to struggle.

Zucker for Palmieri
Kapanen for Palmieri
McCann and Poulin for Palmieri
Poulin and 2022 1st for Palmieri and 2022 2nd

Depending on whether NJ wants to weight things more heavily towards youth, futures, or cost certainty.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Zucker for Palmieri makes sense in a vacuum as a 1:1 swap but Zucker is signed for 3yrs and Pams will be a UFA at seasons end. We gave up a lot for Zucker so I'm not sure dumping that for a UFA is the smartest thing unless there was something else coming back.

That said, NJ has some decent young guys that could even the value. Maltsev, Foote, Boqvist, Merkley...

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Jersey passes on all of those. Quite easily. What do any of those do to benefit the Devils?

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
Interested in exploring different trade scenarios for Palms if NJ continues to struggle.

Zucker for Palmieri
Kapanen for Palmieri

Depending on whether NJ wants to weight things more heavily towards youth, futures, or cost certainty.
Maybe
I wouldn't
No
Absolutely no

My thoughts off the top of my head. Pens can't afford to trade their top prospect and their 2022 1st (which could even be a lottery pick) for a rental like Palmieri. I know they want to win now, but they have to think about the future at least a little.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Jersey passes on all of those. Quite easily. What do any of those do to benefit the Devils?
A top prospect and a first in a good draft for the last one. A top prospect and a good young C for the third one. A replacement younger top 6 winger in the second. A similar winger signed beyond next season in the first. All of these for someone who may or may not resign.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
A top prospect and a first in a good draft for the last one. A top prospect and a good young C for the third one. A replacement younger top 6 winger in the second. A similar winger signed beyond next season in the first. All of these for someone who may or may not resign.
Are we really getting a first when we are giving up our second. Or are we just moving up in the draft? I would rather try to re-rign Palmeiri at a time where players are getting paid considerably less due to Covid then get another young forward. We have plenty of young forwards and I would rather have a proven one at a reasonable cost.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If NJ moves Palmieri it's likely only after they fall out of the playoff race. He's just gotten his game back together after a tough start and I imagine that NJ wants to see how things go from here before making any decisions on Palmieri.

Reactions: BHD

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL

Zucker for Palmieri
Kapanen for Palmieri

As a Devils fan, I don't think that Zucker/Kapanen fit our timeline that much better than Palmieri, I'd actually like to bet on a Pens' 1st in 2022 but wouldn't give up 2nd in that deal.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
As a Devils fan, I don't think that Zucker/Kapanen fit our timeline that much better than Palmieri, I'd actually like to bet on a Pens' 1st in 2022 but wouldn't give up 2nd in that deal.

Given the age of your best players, how does a 30yo Palmieri fit better than a 24yo Kapanen?

Reactions: Hamurai

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
KK is 24 years old, Palms is 30. How is he not a fit for NJ timeline?

KK signed for 1 more years...then you sign him to a 5 year deal for his 26-30 year old seasons. So you would have him for 6ish years.

He would be a "vet" for the "now" kids in a few years. the last 2+ years(160 games) he is on a 45 pt pace/82 games. Nothing crazy...but very good depth. And his speed fits perfectly with ow NJ plays.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
KK is 24 years old, Palms is 30. How is he not a fit for NJ timeline?

KK signed for 1 more years...then you sign him to a 5 year deal for his 26-30 year old seasons. So you would have him for 6ish years.

He would be a "vet" for the "now" kids in a few years. the last 2+ years(160 games) he is on a 45 pt pace/82 games. Nothing crazy...but very good depth. And his speed fits perfectly with ow NJ plays.

As I replied above, the comment was mainly aimed at Zucker but still I believe that e. g. Holtz and Mercer fit our timeline better than Kapanen does. Also, Kapanen produced very well playing with elite centers, same as Johnsson did. And we got Johnsson for a B prospect.

Meanwhile, Palmieri has produced very well, no matter who he played with.

Reactions: HBK27 and Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
As I replied above, the comment was mainly aimed at Zucker but still I believe that e. g. Holtz and Mercer fit our timeline better than Kapanen does. Also, Kapanen produced very well playing with elite centers, same as Johnsson did. And we got Johnsson for a B prospect.

Meanwhile, Palmieri has produced very well, no matter who he played with.
Gotcha.

Palms is one of those guys who has been underrated thru the years. Always seems to score against us...lol. He picked up right where Elias left off.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Zucker for Palmieri makes sense in a vacuum as a 1:1 swap but Zucker is signed for 3yrs and Pams will be a UFA at seasons end. We gave up a lot for Zucker so I'm not sure dumping that for a UFA is the smartest thing unless there was something else coming back.

That said, NJ has some decent young guys that could even the value. Maltsev, Foote, Boqvist, Merkley...
I doubt NJ would have interest in Zucker in a one for one swap. Much less, if you ask for a prospect on top of it.

Strakanator

Sep 21, 2007
Does anyone understand what the word strategy means?

3 year remaining cup window means you don’t care about any futures in those 3 years. Pens need all NHL ready players for 3 years.

This is it for the Penguins. Last cup window for a long time.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Overpayments everywhere, other than maybe Zucker.
Zucker is 29 and is a 20 goal, 40pt player getting paid $5.5 for 3 seasons. Palmieri makes under $5, has averaged over 25 goals a year and 50+ pts over the past 4-5 seasons. KP plays on the PP and the PK. Palmieri is the better player by a margin. Yes KP will need a contract after this year, but that Zucker cap hit is not good, I wouldn't want it in exchange for KP. The devils are better off getting a 1st than be saddled with the Zucker contract.

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017

Zucker for Palmieri
Kapanen for Palmieri

Pittsburgh aren't trading players with term like Kapanen , McCann , Zuker or their 1st rd pick , 2nd rd pick or their best prospect Poulin for Palmieri who's unrestricted after this season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad