Proposal: Palmieri to Pittsburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
What would it reasonably take?

I mean which of your forwards would you move for Palmieri...

Rust/Lafferty/Kahun + Pick.

I am not a fan of either team, but Palmieri seems like a quality piece....
If I am NJ, I re-sign him, not trade him. So you better offer someone young and quality to pry Palmieri out of there. Or a 1st round pick id think at minimum.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Realistically, the ask is probably Dumoulin.

That's not really a realistic ask, though, because that's pretty much a non-starter for the Pens.

Now, I get "give quality to get quality", but you also have to factor in what the team who is loading up would reasonably be willing to part with in order to add for a deep playoff run. Moving their best defensive defenseman and 20+ minute shutdown defenseman seems to go against the entire reason for adding Palmieri.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
That's not really a realistic ask, though, because that's pretty much a non-starter for the Pens.

Now, I get "give quality to get quality", but you also have to factor in what the team who is loading up would reasonably be willing to part with in order to add for a deep playoff run. Moving their best defensive defenseman and 20+ minute shutdown defenseman seems to go against the entire reason for adding Palmieri.

And you need to factor into the concerns of the team trading its best goal-scoring winger, a native son of the state, and who is not a pending UFA.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I don't think the Devils have to consider the Penguins needs at all.

But they ought to consider whether the Devils will be competitive over the next couple years, and whether Palmieri is worth hanging onto vs. the futures they could land to help them when their core pieces are ready to contend.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yikes no way would Dumoulin fetch a signed Hischer or Hall

Probably not one for one, but a top pairing D who is basically on a sweet heart deal and has two cup rings playing top four minutes (including one as our de facto # 1) is certainly not going for a 50 pt wing who has never broken 20 ES goals.

Also, you got Hall for a worse version of Dumo.. So, weird flex.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I obviously like Palmieri, but that is more than a little dubious.

because NHL.com is dumb it lists Palmieri as a C.

But, the list of listed RW’s that have outscored Palmieri since he was traded to the Devils is pretty small.

Kane
Kucherov
Wheeler
Giroux
Tarasenko
Pastrnak
Voracek
Stone
Atkinson
Oshie
Rakell
Rantanen
Smith (by 1 point)

Palmieri in my opinion definitely belongs in that 10-15 range.

Reactions: Jerzey Devil

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Probably not one for one, but a top pairing D who is basically on a sweet heart deal and has two cup rings playing top four minutes (including one as our de facto # 1) is certainly not going for a 50 pt wing who has never broken 20 ES goals.

Also, you got Hall for a worse version of Dumo.. So, weird flex.

Just because Chiarelli is a dumb*** doesnt justify it:laugh:

Reactions: Hamurai and Billdo

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Teams haven't looked to make a hockey trade for a player that close to free agency. There's too much risk involved when the player will walk in < 2 years or have to be signed to a UFA-priced contract as they exit their 20s. The Barrie trade was an outlier historically.

If the Devils make him available, the league will offer a futures-package. Different position, but the Muzzin trade is a template. That was a 1st and a couple B grade prospects. Maybe swap out the two prospects for a young bottom 6 forward or bottom pairing defenseman and a filler piece.

The important questions are will the Devils put him on the block later in the season and if Shero would be adverse to trading within the division?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Also, you got Hall for a worse version of Dumo.. So, weird flex

You got Pettersson for an AHL F, so therefor if NJ offers you a player better than Sprong that means it would be weird for you to say it's not fair?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
because NHL.com is dumb it lists Palmieri as a C.

But, the list of listed RW’s that have outscored Palmieri since he was traded to the Devils is pretty small.

Kane
Kucherov
Wheeler
Giroux
Tarasenko
Pastrnak
Voracek
Stone
Atkinson
Oshie
Rakell
Rantanen
Smith (by 1 point)

Palmieri in my opinion definitely belongs in that 10-15 range.

I don't think scoring over a 5 year period is necessarily the best indication of who the best player at a given position is right now.

Is Palmieri better than guys like Boeser, Laine, and DeBrincat...even Svechnikov? Doubtful.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You got Pettersson for an AHL F, so therefor if NJ offers you a player better than Sprong that means it would be weird for you to say it's not fair?

Dumoulin has been a top pairing D for four years and killing it. He is signed for less than 4.5 for years.

His value is closer to a Hischer or Hall then a Palms and I love Palms. Cornerstone top pairing D aren’t moved for dime a dozen RW wingers who put up big points on bad teams and are third line wingers on good teams.

Palms ES production is similar to what he was doing in Anaheim. He just is on the Devils 1st PP now.

Reactions: Flying Dego

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Dumoulin has been a top pairing D for four years and killing it. He is signed for less than 4.5 for years.

His value is closer to a Hischer or Hall then a Palms and I love Palms. Cornerstone top pairing D aren’t moved for dime a dozen RW wingers who put up big points on bad teams and are third line wingers on good teams.
That's a totally separate argument than bringing up an irrelevant trade from several years ago.

It's still a bad take, but at least it has to do with the actual subject.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Dumo for Hall was brought up.

I am bringing up what Hall was moved for last time. Not really sure how that is irrelevant....

Because a trade from a few years ago involving different teams, with different needs, with players being different now from what they were then is..... irrelevant.

Unless you think Marcus Pettersson's current value is Daniel Sprong. And McCann and Bjugstad's value is Derrick Brassard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad