Proposal: Palmieri and Vatanen to Vegas Golden Knights

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Just because Isles and Tampa overpaid doesn't mean EVERY team is going to overpay.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Bro you need players on your team... Don't Trade everyone

Meh, he's a free agent after next season and he's 30 years old. I wouldn't have interest in extending him at 30 years old, and we aren't going to be a good team next year. Give me that value now. If we retain 50%, that's a legit return coming back. It's going to take a couple of years to get the Devils back in line.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I don't think Tuch will be available for basically anything we can offer them.

We are running dangerously low on NHL forwards, there's no need to strip mine the team.

Vatanen for a 1st, take it or leave it.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Now that Coleman is gone , I can’t see Palms traded unless it’s for an NHL ready forward.
We need a trigger man for Hughes .
I don’t even want to trade Vats but it’s looking like Devils are going full rebuild and not re-tool.

Reactions: Puckclektr

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Over pay you are getting Palms and Vatanen with 50 percent retained on Vats what was put as a return is easily not overpayment

Retaining on a pending UFA does not add value, it facilitates the trade you want.

Lamoriello overpaid for a player he likes and knows, Tampa can afford to get rid of a 1st and a forward prospect easily for a player that helps their cap going forward. They did good to find the right situations to maximize those deals, this isn't that.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Personally I don't think Vatanen adds much that we can't eventually add in house. Our bigger need is shutdown/stay at home defensemen.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Lol this reminds me of the one guy in my fantasy hockey league that sold all his players for picks and was feeling himself so much he had the balls to offer me 3 garbage players for Pettersson.

Point being is selling is so much fun it's practically addicting!!

Reactions: hmc1987 and bl02

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Everything I've heard about Vegas is that they need puck movers on the back end
Who is saying that? Theodore, Hague, Schmidt and Whitecloud do this just fine. Theodore in particular is 12 in scoring among defenseman and basically the best puck mover on the team not named Stone.

Our problem is guys like Merill, Holden, and Engelland brainfarting in the defensive zone and failing to clear the crease or win puck battles along the boards.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Who is saying that? Theodore, Hague, Schmidt and Whitecloud do this just fine. Theodore in particular is 12 in scoring among defenseman and basically the best puck mover on the team not named Stone.

Our problem is guys like Merill, Holden, and Engelland brainfarting in the defensive zone and failing to clear the crease or win puck battles along the boards.

Jesse Granger on the athletic? I'm sure I've read it elsewhere as well.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Jesse Granger on the athletic? I'm sure I've read it elsewhere as well.

Ideally it would be more of a 2 way guy that could move the puck and is reliable defensively, but the puck moving aspect is ultimately more important IMO. Theo is the only guy who has been consistent in that department this year. If they could get a guy like Petry or Demelo they would be with Theo on the 2nd pair. If it's a guy like Vatanen or Gustaffson probably build a 3rd pair around them.

Reactions: Forge

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Ideally it would be more of a 2 way guy that could move the puck and is reliable defensively, but the puck moving aspect is ultimately more important IMO. Theo is the only guy who has been consistent in that department this year. If they could get a guy like Petry or Demelo they would be with Theo on the 2nd pair. If it's a guy like Vatanen or Gustaffson probably build a 3rd pair around them.
I really don't think that's the biggest concern with Vegas' defense.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Is there anything realistic that the devils could offer for Hague ?
I’m guessing no.
Palms Vatanen with retention plus ??? for Hague and a salary dump?

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Is there anything realistic that the devils could offer for Hague ?
I’m guessing no.
Palms Vatanen with retention plus ??? for Hague and a salary dump?

Probably not. We don't have salary dumps with term that would let us keep Palmieri and/or Vatanen.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
I really don't think that's the biggest concern with Vegas' defense.

Agree to disagree. Last time I checked I think Vegas was 26th in production from their defense. And it's pretty obvious with the eye test how much guys like Merrill, Engelland, and Mcnabb struggle moving the puck.

Reactions: TZdevils

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Vegas aren’t going to have to preform cap management miracles like Tampa or NYR this off-season to make things work but adding bigger salaries will tough. Vegas is going to need to do some bargain hunting.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

Why would we give up anything more than a 2nd for a rental defenseman we would put on the third pair?

Theodore and Schmidt move the puck well, you sell Schmidt short. His struggles have been defensive. Hague moved the puck fine and so does Whitecloud. That's supposed to be the stronger point of Merrill and Holden's games.

We won't re-sign Vatanen for over 5M. We have Holden killing penalties even with Engelland in the lineup! We need a responsible defenseman, preferably with some size who can PK and Vatanen is not that.

Just give a 2nd and Deliberatore/Schuldt/Ahac and Merrill for Martinez/DeMelo and be done with it.

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
Why wouldn't you retain on Palmieri instead? It's not like the Devils need the cap space next season but Vegas could sure use it. I think if the Devils retain 50% on both players and you replace Tuch with Peyton Krebs this is fair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->