Rumor: Pagnotta: Teams interested in Leddy, believe Lou is willing to listen

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
So what are you looking for in a trade for Leddy then?
We aren't actively looking to deal him. It's more of a " if a deal that's too good to pass up comes along" type situation. We are rebuilding and picks and defense and centers are what we need. I wasn't knocking your offer. Just saying that the pieces were redundant. Or in Myers case not the kind of asset a rebuilding team needs

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
What a terrible return for Chicago. They traded a 23 year old legit top 4 D, and got literally no NHL games from any of the three pieces they received in return.

They also got Anders Nilsson, who actually is still in the NHL. But he didn't play a single game for Chicago.

Couldn't afford him and Q didn't trust him. Had to go. Sometimes you win trades like that, often you lose because you have little leverage.

Which is why Bowman traded Panarin before it got that far ... hmm. That's not working out great either.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Ideally a first round pick and a prospect. At least that's my take. I'd shoot for a first round pick and a "B+" prospect or an "A" prospect and a 2nd. Just my opinion.

Shoot for the moon if I'm Lou since Leddy's signed to a very reasonable contract.
it would need to be a pretty darn good prospect to take a second in my eyes. Winnipeg is gonna be at the bottom of the round. They are my pick in the central and sleeper pick for the cup. There's a sense of urgency about them that I think will carry the jets this year

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Couldn't afford him and Q didn't trust him. Had to go. Sometimes you win trades like that, often you lose because you have little leverage.

Which is why Bowman traded Panarin before it got that far ... hmm. That's not working out great either.
Exactly, they were in Stanley cup mode. You have different priorities in that situation, and limited finances often limit your options. as with Leddy...Stan can't be faulted in any way for doing what he had to.

I even understand Panarin. Bowman had no idea Crawford was gonna be out as long as he was or that Keith and others were going to slip a level. He expected one more cup from a playoff tested squad.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
So Jets 1st + Poolman?
that could work. Depends on what Lamouriello thinks of Poolman or even Logan Stanley if Lou thinks he can develop him.

Remember your first should be late and Chevy isn't the easiest to deal with. So we might not get anywhere. You know that as well as I do. Chevy is one tough hombre. He has to be. Dealing with Overhardt all the time.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Best I can do with the Habs... Mete, Scherbak, 2019 2nd (Habs or BJ), and Shaw ($1M retention). I know you want a 1st and I might consider it at the deadline when we know where our pick might land and how Leddy does from now till then. But if you want to make that move now, that's the best we could do and I think it's a solid offer.

The base of the deal is Mete+ and Shaw with some retention needs to be part of the package. If this is workable, I would pull the trigger. Leddy fits better with Weber than Mete does IMO.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
How about Jets 1st + Samberg/Stanley + Kulikov (cap dump - 1 year after this @ 4.3 but he's still an ok player)

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
What a terrible return for Chicago. They traded a 23 year old legit top 4 D, and got literally no NHL games from any of the three pieces they received in return.

They also got Anders Nilsson, who actually is still in the NHL. But he didn't play a single game for Chicago.

Leddy couldn't defend and was due for a big raise.
And then the Hawks won the cup the next year without him. No big loss.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
That wasn't me that asked for either of those guys :)

More of a general comment than anything. Too many fans want to have their cake and eat it too - not only get a top-4 defenseman with great term, but ALSO a young bluechip prospect who looks to have a solid future in front of him.

That makes no sense for the Islanders. If we're selling Leddy, it means a commitment to the future. If we're selling Dobson or Wahlstrom (we aren't), it means a commitment to the present. Personally I'd look at the Pacioretty trade as the base of a Leddy return:

Suzuki (legit center prospect, juiciest piece in the return)

+

Tatar (salary going back, but not a true cap dump)

+

2nd (sweetener)

Replace Suzuki with either a C or LD prospect and go from there.

Reactions: 72hockey guy

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
More of a general comment than anything. Too many fans want to have their cake and eat it too - not only get a top-4 defenseman with great term, but ALSO a young bluechip prospect who looks to have a solid future in front of him.

That makes no sense for the Islanders. If we're selling Leddy, it means a commitment to the future. If we're selling Dobson or Wahlstrom (we aren't), it means a commitment to the present. Personally I'd look at the Pacioretty trade as the base of a Leddy return:

Suzuki (legit center prospect, juiciest piece in the return)

+

Tatar (salary going back, but not a true cap dump)

+

2nd (sweetener)

Replace Suzuki with either a C or LD prospect and go from there.

The Jets don't have any legit center prospects outside of Roslovic, who wouldn't be available since he's the only one haha and is penciled in as a future top 6 guy. They've got a few good LHD prospects tho, any interest in Stanley, Samberg, Niku (tho that would hurt to let him go)?

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
How about Jets 1st + Samberg/Stanley + Kulikov (cap dump - 1 year after this @ 4.3 but he's still an ok player)
that could work too.It depends on what Lou thinks of Samberg/Stanley. If he thinks they can be developed into a future too 4 then yeah but I wouldn't begin to say I'm as smart as Lou or Trotz.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
The Jets don't have any legit center prospects outside of Roslovic, who wouldn't be available since he's the only one haha and is penciled in as a future top 6 guy. They've got a few good LHD prospects tho, any interest in Stanley, Samberg, Niku (tho that would hurt to let him go)?
I hate to be a broken record, but it all comes down to what Lou and Trotz think about the particular prospect and if they think they can be developed into a player they can use even if it's 2-3 years from now. It's not something we are capable of answering specifically

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Can't see the Jets moving Samberg. But a 1st + prospect + Kulikov would likely be the best the Jets could do IMO.

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
I think Leddy would be a pretty good fit with Winnipeg. Their D is their weakest spot, especially on the left side. Myers was a disaster there, Kulikov is barely a 3rd pairing talent.

Winnipeg is set on the top pairing, so Leddy's responsibilities will be decreased. He helps now, but he also provides some depth in D as Winnipeg will likely have a difficult decision this summer with Trouba. So still having Morrissey, Buff and Leddy under contract will make it a little easier to deal with if Trouba ends up forcing his way out.

I would think a return around mainly picks or prospects like Petan and picks or something like that would make sense. If the Islanders would take the end of Kulikov's contract, they can probably squeeze even more value out.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I think Leddy would be a pretty good fit with Winnipeg. Their D is their weakest spot, especially on the left side. Myers was a disaster there, Kulikov is barely a 3rd pairing talent.

Winnipeg is set on the top pairing, so Leddy's responsibilities will be decreased. He helps now, but he also provides some depth in D as Winnipeg will likely have a difficult decision this summer with Trouba. So still having Morrissey, Buff and Leddy under contract will make it a little easier to deal with if Trouba ends up forcing his way out.

I would think a return around mainly picks or prospects like Petan and picks or something like that would make sense. If the Islanders would take the end of Kulikov's contract, they can probably squeeze even more value out.
i doubt that would be of any interest to be honest, Petan has shown nothing in 4 cracks at the NHL level and Kulikov is a dump, so its basically a late first and a cap dump for 4 years of a cost controlled Leddy

why would anyone do that?

Journeyman Nate Schmit just got 6M for 6 years from Vegas so Leddy at 5.5M is a bargain

Last edited:

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
Maybe a trade with the Jets centered around Leddy for Trouba(sign and trade) with more pieces on either side?
This wld have to be done in te off season then as we need trouba for a playoff run and one more shot to sign him.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
Samberg ios trending to be a stud though we need him Stanley ok we have migh regret it but he's more of a project 1st + Stanley + kulikov +2nd for leddy + 3rd

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
This wld have to be done in te off season then as we need trouba for a playoff run and one more shot to sign him.

I couldnt see the Isles adding Trouba, they had trouble with Overhardt, in the past so much so that they have refused to draft his players.

I dont see a fit with winnipeg with the players youre willing to part with to be honest

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad