Rumor: Pagnotta: Teams interested in Leddy, believe Lou is willing to listen

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
What's been his deal this season then? Is being the #1 really killing his offensive game? Is he still not on the top pp? I figured he'd have at least one point by now especially if playing PP time with Barzal.

Trotz is focusing on installing a defensive system, leddy as a veteran is trying to set an example and tempering his offensive game to suit Trotz expectations. he's the number one, not because he's qualified to be a number one but because he's willing to sacrifice his personal stats to lead by example

its that willingness, that makes me want to keep him to mentor Dobson, Toews, Wilde and Aho, as they come up. there is a plan in place....Leddy to his credit is following it

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Trotz is focusing on installing a defensive system, leddy as a veteran is trying to set an example and tempering his offensive game to suit Trotz expectations. he's the number one, not because he's qualified to be a number one but because he's willing to sacrifice his personal stats to lead by example

its that willingness, that makes me want to keep him to mentor Dobson, Toews, Wilde and Aho, as they come up. there is a plan in place....Leddy to his credit is following it
How bout the PP? I have him on my fantasy team so he's been disappointing with no production. ES I totally get but is he just not touching the puck on the PP?

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
How bout the PP? I have him on my fantasy team so he's been disappointing with no production. ES I totally get but is he just not touching the puck on the PP?
same thing really, Pulock and his booming shot is the focal point.

you cant really go back and forth between tempering yourself and eliminating risk, and then changing your mindset on a moments notice, Leddy hasnt really been creative this year at all, its been transport the puck from A to B and get him self back into defensive positioning, thats what being a leader and setting an example is about

Trotz and lamouriello said this would be a learning season. I think its obvious that they meant it

unless something systemically changes Barzal and Leddy will be less free this season

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Deadline deal.

Gardiner (Isles have negotiated new contract with him prior) + Dmytro Timashov for Leddy?

Helps the Leafs out by getting them a cheaper, quality option on D. Isles pay more for the guy who puts up more points and also get a player thats almost NHL ready with skill and grit.

No interest in Gardiner,with an extension or without one

Reactions: IODCPiper and 12Dog

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
No interest in Gardiner,with an extension or without one

I agree, I dont know why but i see Gardiner as the new Cody Franson

I may be wrong but I dont see the leafs going anywhere in the playoffs, regular season teams can score at will, but not in a 7 game series

Andersen is fine, he can steal you a series, but not 4 of them and that defense wont help him

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
For me he is the missing piece for the Jets. If Chevy is serious about winning he would change the look of the Jets defense, make them favourites instead of contenders.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Leddy is an elite puck transporter due to his great skating ability. Once gets control of the puck in the defensive zone with any space, it's an automatic zone exit and a slew of offensive zone entries. He's got good enough offensive tools to produce nice numbers, his defensive game is average at best. His puck carrying ability is special, that's what you're getting with Leddy.

Leddy isn't a top pairing d-man, but can be a fringe top LD if supported by another solid LD in the top-4. Calvin de Haan was really underrated in that regard, he could take on heavier minutes thus lessening the burden on Leddy at ES. He has a bunch of crap on LD now so it exposes him to be more of a #3 rather than a #1 or #2.

He's 27 and signed for 4 years at $5.5M, he has definite value around the league. If the Isles decide to trade him, there should be no shortage of suitors.
But what is the return? I am not against the move but it needs to be 1st round puck and prospect.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I think the 1st rounder is a given, it all depends on the quality of prospect. I think it would have to be a top prospect, either a C or LHD.
Yeah we need the defensive prospect. Either that or dump a bad contract on them. No one has roster space though.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Yeah we need the defensive prospect. Either that or dump a bad contract on them. No one has roster space though.

The Isles could take on a salary dump for a better return too. If the Isles trade Leddy, he won't be the only player traded. With Eberle, Nelson, and possibly Lee all going as well since it would be a clear firesale. Retaining salary is also an option on all those pending UFA rentals.

No one wants to admit the Isles are 'tanking', but Lou has them positioned to do just that.

Reactions: 72hockey guy

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Is Mete, Scherbak, 1st and 2nd, & Shaw a package that fits the Islanders needs? Or are you looking for a more proven NHL asset now?

I can't believe someone thought Gardiner (pending UFA) was worth 4 more years of Leddy.
Your package is more then I expect he will teturn.
I think if Lou moves him during the season it will be in a futures package. Teams pushing for playoff run will not offer up quality nhl talent back.

If he moves him in the offseason , the other team is in a better position to move nhlers.

I would rather use this season for Toews to get nhl icetime/ experience and then move Leddy on the summer if he is not part of Lou's core.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
The Isles could take on a salary dump for a better return too. If the Isles trade Leddy, he won't be the only player traded. With Eberle, Nelson, and possibly Lee all going as well since it would be a clear firesale. Retaining salary is also an option on all those pending UFA rentals.

No one wants to admit the Isles are 'tanking', but Lou has them positioned to do just that.
Gotta have some quality vets. I think Lee sticks around to provide leadership.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
roslovic myers vesalainen 2nd for leddy and dobson
not getting Dobson, hes not moving , period and that offer doesnt even get you Leddy.

Vesalainen is fine so is Roslovic, but a 2nd doesnt cut it, Myers wont be resigned so that offer would end all conversation

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
Maybe a trade with the Jets centered around Leddy for Trouba(sign and trade) with more pieces on either side?

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Maybe a trade with the Jets centered around Leddy for Trouba(sign and trade) with more pieces on either side?
No interest in Trouba. Great player but no to the agent and headache of resigning him.

we are rebuilding. You don't waste Trouba's remaining term, in a rebuild only to see him walk when you're ready to finally compete. So as much as I love the player I pass.

Leddy would definitely help Winnipeg though he's different than anyone they have, though Morrissey has a few of his abilities.

Last edited:
Reactions: PWJunior

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017

Of course they are Tanking.. just not in the traditional sense. But definitely using this season to determine who has a future here and who doesnt...

It's a puzzle some players like Leddy have a role in the future, but if the right deal comes along, you adapt. Nothing is set in stone. They love Lee obviously and don't expect to move him, hell they don't WANT to move him, but if he hasn't signed at some point it can be a consideration. It's all dependent on what presents itself as the year goes along.

nobody knows where teams will be at the deadline, what injuries will have impacted teams and Lou I'm certain wants to be able to take advantage of the opportunities that may arise. It's GM 101. Very Basic. It's not rocket science. But PW you know this. You correctly sussed this out long ago.

The only guys I absolutely know will be here are Dobson, Wahlstrom, Bellows, Pulock, and Barzal. Everyone else could in some certain scenarios could be gone. Some like Lee and Bailey and Leddy are longshots to move but they to could move in the right circumstances.

Last edited:

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
not getting Dobson, hes not moving , period and that offer doesnt even get you Leddy.

Vesalainen is fine so is Roslovic, but a 2nd doesnt cut it, Myers wont be resigned so that offer would end all conversation

Do you realize Roslovic and Vesalainen are both recent 1st round picks who are developping really nicely and both look like near locks to be top 6 forwards. As a Jets fan I think that's a big overpay.

Reactions: 204hockey

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Do you realize Roslovic and Vesalainen are both recent 1st round picks who are developping really nicely and both look like near locks to be top 6 forwards. As a Jets fan I think that's a big overpay.
I do realize that but we have Wahlstrom and Bellows both knocking on the door rated higher. So they don't fill a need for us, they have value yes, but not for us.

Leddy helps Winnipeg a lot more than they help us. So even though they are good prospects there's no match.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I do realize that but we have Wahlstrom and Bellows both knocking on the door rated higher. So they don't fill a need for us, they have value yes, but not for us.

Leddy helps Winnipeg a lot more than they help us. So even though they are good prospects there's no match.

So what are you looking for in a trade for Leddy then?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->