Rumor: Pagnotta: Teams interested in Leddy, believe Lou is willing to listen

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Again:

Doug Weight's defensive coaching system was awful. Barry Trotz is much, much, much, much better at coaching defensemen how to play hockey.

If you point to 2016-17 Leddy's stats and demand a discount, you don't get Leddy. Top-4 (especially a guy who has played #1 minutes) guys signed for 4 years at a great AAV don't come cheap. If you're not interested in ponying up attractive assets to us, we'll keep Leddy.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Nick Leddy
for
Leafs 1st 2019, 2nd 2020, Rosen/Marincin

Leddy - - - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Ozhiganov/Hainsey

Not interested in your late 1st or

Zero interest in your late 1st or Rosen/Marincin. Neither is an upgrade on the isles prospects pushing for nhl jobs.

Isles prospect pool is stacked with blue line prospects.

I did get a chuckle out of the Marincin scouting report though.

On the Bubble: Martin Marincin

I'm surprised that a 1st was actually part of the package offered. We are usually not that generous and usually just offer three (3) scraps. LOL.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Oilers and Isles have been trading partners before. I wonder with Sekera out indefinitely. Would Leddy be of interest to them? Could be a fit there.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I'm surprised that a 1st was actually part of the package offered. We are usually not that generous and usually just offer three (3) scraps. LOL.
Earlier in the thread a Leaf fan asked if there was even a market for Leddy.

I am waiting for him to come back and ask what quality prospect the isles are willing to package along with Leddy, to get out of that $5.5m caphell hit :sarcasm:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Sorry, that was a typo. Meant to say top four. Regardless, yeah. There's not going to be any budging from either side. I'm just stating that I don't see why an opposing team would value dropping assets and committing future cap on a role they technically already have filled.

Winnipeg may be one of the few suitors where he actually makes sense if they intend on letting Tyler Myers walk in the off-season.

You need a good 3rd pairing to win the cup these days. And while you can rely heavily on your top4 and have marginal guys on the 3rd pairing, for the most part that's no longer the case. Teams will put the best guy they can afford cap wise on pairing 3, and move on. So if that means a good middle pairing D ends up on the 3rd pairing, so be it.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Has this really denigrated to the point where Leddy is a 3rd-pairing defenseman because most teams top 4 is set? There's that many top 4 averaging close to 10g, 35a a season? No one has a need for that in their top 4?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Leddy is a very useful player when he is good. He was put in a tough spot last season as the #1D man on the Isles. Just isn't that type of D man. Better when used as a puck moving offensive #2 pairing guy.

For me he is worth a good prospect and a 1st rd pick. This is what I would accept in return given the demand is higher than the supply for a D man.

How is his defensive game? Could he effectively be paired with another good PMD who's defensive game isn't great (but not bad either)? Haven't watched a ton on him, just that I've liked what I've seen when we've played NYI.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Gardiner for Leddy?

Why are the isles interested in trading Leddy for an impending ufa?
Let the Leafs over pay Gardiner.
Isles are building around 21 yr old Barzal and imo will want young quality assets back.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
How is his defensive game? Could he effectively be paired with another good PMD who's defensive game isn't great (but not bad either)? Haven't watched a ton on him, just that I've liked what I've seen when we've played NYI.

Not the best, but not as bad as last year where Rod Langway would have had a hard time looking good defensively behind the goaltending provided. I do think he has the talent to be as Justin Schultz is with Pittsburg. Where he is facing the second top line as opposed to the # 1 line.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Not the best, but not as bad as last year where Rod Langway would have had a hard time looking good defensively behind the goaltending provided. I do think he has the talent to be as Justin Schultz is with Pittsburg. Where he is facing the second top line as opposed to the # 1 line.

Leddy is an elite puck transporter due to his great skating ability. Once gets control of the puck in the defensive zone with any space, it's an automatic zone exit and a slew of offensive zone entries. He's got good enough offensive tools to produce nice numbers, his defensive game is average at best. His puck carrying ability is special, that's what you're getting with Leddy.

Leddy isn't a top pairing d-man, but can be a fringe top LD if supported by another solid LD in the top-4. Calvin de Haan was really underrated in that regard, he could take on heavier minutes thus lessening the burden on Leddy at ES. He has a bunch of crap on LD now so it exposes him to be more of a #3 rather than a #1 or #2.

He's 27 and signed for 4 years at $5.5M, he has definite value around the league. If the Isles decide to trade him, there should be no shortage of suitors.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

Leddy is best suited to be an offensive #3 defenseman with second unit PP time. In a position like that he can drive possession, effectively defend against middle pairing lines, and put up 45+ points. Skating is his best attribute, and he can effectively skate the puck out of danger and make good end to end rushes with the puck and get back into the defensive zone.

I like Leddy, but at the same time if Lou could get some good assets for him I would consider it. He's got a lot of good years left in him. Any team would be happy to slot him in the top 4.

I think Lou would be looking at a very good D or center prospect and a 1st round pick in return for Leddy.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Isles are building around 21 yr old Barzal and imo will want young quality assets back.
Deadline deal.

Gardiner (Isles have negotiated new contract with him prior) + Dmytro Timashov for Leddy?

Helps the Leafs out by getting them a cheaper, quality option on D. Isles pay more for the guy who puts up more points and also get a player thats almost NHL ready with skill and grit.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Sorry, that was a typo. Meant to say top four. Regardless, yeah. There's not going to be any budging from either side. I'm just stating that I don't see why an opposing team would value dropping assets and committing future cap on a role they technically already have filled.

Winnipeg may be one of the few suitors where he actually makes sense if they intend on letting Tyler Myers walk in the off-season.
you said the same about Hamonic and as i remember you also said that Hall wouldnt go for Larsson, so your obviously undervalue defense,

at least as far as GM's are concerned

as faras the offers in this thread go, if im Lamouriello, leddy is off the table and im perfectly fine with that. we need mentors anyway for Dobson Toews and Aho

Last edited:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Deadline deal.

Gardiner (Isles have negotiated new contract with him prior) + Dmytro Timashov for Leddy?

Helps the Leafs out by getting them a cheaper, quality option on D. Isles pay more for the guy who puts up more points and also get a player thats almost NHL ready with skill and grit.

If the Isles are trading Leddy, they will likely opt for a futures based deal rather than taking on an impending UFA like Gardiner and a prospect like Timashov. Try thinking a 1st and Sandin as a more appropriate package for Leddy. That is more realistic than your fantasy offer.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Deadline deal.

Eberle + Vande Sompel for Nylander?

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
If the Isles are trading Leddy, they will likely opt for a futures based deal rather than taking on an impending UFA like Gardiner and a prospect like Timashov. Try thinking a 1st and Sandin as a more appropriate package for Leddy. That is more realistic than your fantasy offer.
Amen to that

the leafs want to win a cup and have to resign Marner, Matthews and Nylander so Gardiner is not being re-signed, no interest in anything they have to offer unless its Nylander for Leddy and even then I dont want nylander at his terms, so theres no deal to be made with the Maple Leafs

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
If Isles trade Leddy, a top prospect has to come back. Otherwise it doesn't make any sense to trade him, might as well ride it out with him.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
If Isles trade Leddy, a top prospect has to come back. Otherwise it doesn't make any sense to trade him, might as well ride it out with him.

The Isles need a premium LD prospect whether they trade Leddy or not. Toews shows promise, but everyone else is a bottom pairing type. If Leddy is traded then you'd have to think the Isles would want his potential successor prospect d-man included in the return.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If the Habs are in a playoff spot come deadline, I might offer...

Mete
Scherbak
2019 1st
2019 2nd (Higher pick between the BJ or Habs)
Shaw or Alzner (take one please)

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I think the best part of this, is Leddy is already signed to a reasonable contract. When next summer a UFA D man in the same caliber will demand more than 5.5M. Lou can drive the bus on this. He will get back maximum assets IMO as the demand right now for a D man of his caliber far outweighs the supply. Patience will be a reward here.

this is the the best post in the thread, because it is accurate in every way, much like Hamonic still got a good return despite Snow doing Hamonic a solid by sending him home to western canada, Supply and demand will determine Leddy's market. I still think Lou will keep him because of mentoring needs, (after all even the best prospects need guidance. they cant teach themselves) but the offers will be much better than seen here., simply because demand outstrips supply and Leddy is cost controlled with term

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
What's been his deal this season then? Is being the #1 really killing his offensive game? Is he still not on the top pp? I figured he'd have at least one point by now especially if playing PP time with Barzal.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Is Mete, Scherbak, 1st and 2nd, & Shaw a package that fits the Islanders needs? Or are you looking for a more proven NHL asset now?

I can't believe someone thought Gardiner (pending UFA) was worth 4 more years of Leddy.

Reactions: 12Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->