Rumor: Pagnotta: Teams interested in Leddy, believe Lou is willing to listen

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Leddy has 4 yrs on his deal,with a caphit of $5.5m per.

Let's not get silly, acting as if his deal has 7 or 8 yrs.
And according to this report teams are interested.
I'm aware of what he's making. But looking at rosters across the league, there are very few where it's realistic Leddy plugs into their top four as a LD without pushing someone notable down the depth chart. I just don't see teams willing to break the bank on this guy when he's really not filling that much of an organizational need.

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
So they'll move Leddy before finding out? I mean they'll get a good return... but still.

The only reason Toews was not in the nhl last year was because he suffered an injury when CDH went out.
He had a good training camp and will make $1m whether he plays in the AHL or nhl.
I can see the isles wanting him up.

I would move Pelech before Leddy and call up Toews. I am not as high on Pelech as other fans.

Reactions: 12Dog

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Nick Leddy
for
Leafs 1st 2019, 2nd 2020, Rosen/Marincin

Leddy - - - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Ozhiganov/Hainsey

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I'm aware of what he's making. But looking at rosters across the league, there are very few where it's realistic Leddy plugs into their top six as a LD without pushing someone notable down the depth chart. I just don't see teams willing to break the bank on this guy when he's really not filling that much of an organizational need.

Well you and I will have to agree to disagree. A 27 yr old,top 4 who has shown he can put up 40+ pts and has reasonable 4 yr/ $5.5 per would imo draw plenty of interest.

I guess the Leddy thread will be the replacement for the old Hamonic threads :laugh:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I'm aware of what he's making. But looking at rosters across the league, there are very few where it's realistic Leddy plugs into their top six as a LD without pushing someone notable down the depth chart. I just don't see teams willing to break the bank on this guy when he's really not filling that much of an organizational need.

Nvm...

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Nvm...

Last edited:

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Well you and I will have to agree to disagree. A 27 yr old,top 4 who has shown he can put up 40+ pts and has reasonable 4 yr/ $5.5 per would imo draw plenty of interest.

I guess the Leddy thread will be the replacement for the old Hamonic threads :laugh:
Sorry, that was a typo. Meant to say top four. Regardless, yeah. There's not going to be any budging from either side. I'm just stating that I don't see why an opposing team would value dropping assets and committing future cap on a role they technically already have filled.

Winnipeg may be one of the few suitors where he actually makes sense if they intend on letting Tyler Myers walk in the off-season.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Not interested in your late 1st or
Nick Leddy
for
Leafs 1st 2019, 2nd 2020, Rosen/Marincin

Leddy - - - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Ozhiganov/Hainsey
Zero interest in your late 1st or Rosen/Marincin. Neither is an upgrade on the isles prospects pushing for nhl jobs.

Isles prospect pool is stacked with blue line prospects.

I did get a chuckle out of the Marincin scouting report though.

On the Bubble: Martin Marincin

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Sorry, that was a typo. Meant to say top four. Regardless, yeah. There's not going to be any budging from either side. I'm just stating that I don't see why an opposing team would value dropping assets and committing future cap on a role they technically already have filled.

Winnipeg may be one of the few suitors where he actually makes sense if they intend on letting Tyler Myers walk in the off-season.
I cannot recall how many fans insisted Calgary was perfectly happy with their D and would have no interest in Hamonic ( unless of course he came dirt cheap)

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I cannot recall how many fans insisted Calgary was perfectly happy with their D and would have no interest in Hamonic ( unless of course he came dirt cheap)
Which was foolish considering must teams lack quality depth on the right side of the ice. Not exactly a solid example though considering how that trade has turned out for them.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Which was foolish considering must teams lack quality depth on the right side of the ice. Not exactly a solid example though considering how that trade has turned out for them.
And how many of the teams who have called Lou are calling because of Leddy's ability to put up points?
Unlike the isles, those teams probably would not ask Leddy to carry and inexperienced group of young D.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Habs want, what are the Islanders top 3 needs?
#2C should be at the top of their wishlist.

Am kind of curious if Leddy goes at the TDL or next summer. TDL would likely mean a futures return.
Next summer would likely mean nhl talent coming back.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Leddy is a very useful player when he is good. He was put in a tough spot last season as the #1D man on the Isles. Just isn't that type of D man. Better when used as a puck moving offensive #2 pairing guy.

For me he is worth a good prospect and a 1st rd pick. This is what I would accept in return given the demand is higher than the supply for a D man.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Leddy is a very useful player when he is good. He was put in a tough spot last season as the #1D man on the Isles. Just isn't that type of D man. Better when used as a puck moving offensive #2 pairing guy.

For me he is worth a good prospect and a 1st rd pick. This is what I would accept in return given the demand is higher than the supply for a D man.

I would be ok with a Hamonic return of a 1st and 2 2nds. After years of Snow letting prime talent walk for nothing, the Isles need another infusion of young talent. Getting Wahlstrom, Dobson, Wilde, and Iskhakov (if his brain isn't scrambled) helped stock the winger and RD depth last year. Center depth and a potential top pairing LD are on the docket this year.

Adding a couple of centers (one with a possible top-5 pick) and a LD with multiple picks in the top-2 rounds would give the Isles a pretty complete prospect group and a possible foundation for a long term core. With a 21 year old #1C already in place, the hardest asset to acquire has been taken care of.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would be ok with a Hamonic return of a 1st and 2 2nds. After years of Snow letting prime talent walk for nothing, the Isles need another infusion of young talent. Getting Wahlstrom, Dobson, Wilde, and Iskhakov (if his brain isn't scrambled) helped stock the winger and RD depth last year. Center depth and a potential top pairing LD are on the docket this year.

Adding a couple of centers (one with a possible top-5 pick) and a LD with multiple picks in the top-2 rounds would give the Isles a pretty complete prospect group and a possible foundation for a long term core. With a 21 year old #1C already in place, the hardest asset to acquire has been taken care of.

Yes, picks or prospects are the goal. If I can cite an example of a deal I liked to expedite the process. The Pacioretty deal to me is the gold standard recent one. An already drafted highly rated prospect a 2nd rd pick and a player. This is what I would ideally like to see in return. This really expedites the retool.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Leddy is only 27 and still fly, has good acument despite a terrible +- on the island last year.

Lucic for Leddy !

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Yes, picks or prospects are the goal. If I can cite an example of a deal I liked to expedite the process. The Pacioretty deal to me is the gold standard recent one. An already drafted highly rated prospect a 2nd rd pick and a player. This is what I would ideally like to see in return. This really expedites the retool.

I won't say no to a highly rated prospect who is a C or a LD, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. I think that's the best case scenario, but teams don't seem too keen on parting with those type of assets unless in a panic trade. Maybe the market for Leddy is strong enough for that to happen, but I'll take the draft picks and arm Lou with more ammo at the draft and UFA with more cap space. With how Snow left him the franchise, there's not many options right now other than to rebuild/retool.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I won't say no to a highly rated prospect who is a C or a LD, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. I think that's the best case scenario, but teams don't seem too keen on parting with those type of assets unless in a panic trade. Maybe the market for Leddy is strong enough for that to happen, but I'll take the draft picks and arm Lou with more ammo at the draft and UFA with more cap space. With how Snow left him the franchise, there's not many options right now other than to rebuild/retool.

I think the best part of this, is Leddy is already signed to a reasonable contract. When next summer a UFA D man in the same caliber will demand more than 5.5M. Lou can drive the bus on this. He will get back maximum assets IMO as the demand right now for a D man of his caliber far outweighs the supply. Patience will be a reward here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->