Player Discussion Jean-Gabriel Pageau

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Not to sound like Aragorn, but it would be good to have at least one big centre though... I would trade any of our top 3 Cs to make that happen.

We have un coming.

Sounds painful

Lol ... it does indeed. Count me out.

Logan Brown is 6'6 and 100kg (220lb), and hasn't turned 19 yet. He's a couple of years away, but we don't need him to be playing top 9 minutes until 2019-20 season when Brassard's contract is up.

... and Brassard isn't small. He's 6'1 and 90kg (204lb). That's about average. Pageau is small, and Turris is light, but Colin White will be a similar size to Brassard. Plenty of options. I also don't think it is a coincidence that Zack Smith is playing centre in the playoffs.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
At the 44th minute and 44 seconds we should chant Pageau...Church of Pageau! :sarcasm:

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Pageau is a "big" centre. Even if he appears to be small. He plays big. He kicks the crap out of Ovechkin in the crease so much Ovy takes a penalty retaliating. Two goals tonight in front of the net on deflections.

Pageau plays like Henri Richard or Stan Mikita or Doug Gilmour. Small guys who played like warriors and never gave a bit at all about playing guys 40 pounds heavier.

Pageau leads Sens forwards in hits or is close after Neil every year.

What Sens centres have every played "big"? Fisher. Yashin and Spezza were big but did not plsy that way. Well Yashin did play big until it mattered then he disappeared.

Pageau is a much smarter but less physical Fisher. But still very physical.

It doesn't matter if you ARE big if you don't PLAY big. Pageau thinks he is the size of Buddy Robinson or Nick Paul. Plays like it too.

Turris is taller but is really a "small" but hard working clutch centre. Pageau is shorter and maybe lighter but he just is not small. He rarely is pushed around or knocked down or out muscled in front of the net or on the boards.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Yeah, sometimes he wins puck battles he has no business winning. He's a "fight in the dog" type of guy.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Pageau is a "big" centre. Even if he appears to be small. He plays big. He kicks the crap out of Ovechkin in the crease so much Ovy takes a penalty retaliating. Two goals tonight in front of the net on deflections.

Pageau plays like Henri Richard or Stan Mikita or Doug Gilmour. Small guys who played like warriors and never gave a bit at all about playing guys 40 pounds heavier.

Pageau leads Sens forwards in hits or is close after Neil every year.

What Sens centres have every played "big"? Fisher. Yashin and Spezza were big but did not plsy that way. Well Yashin did play big until it mattered then he disappeared.

Pageau is a much smarter but less physical Fisher. But still very physical.

It doesn't matter if you ARE big if you don't PLAY big. Pageau thinks he is the size of Buddy Robinson or Nick Paul. Plays like it too.

Turris is taller but is really a "small" but hard working clutch centre. Pageau is shorter and maybe lighter but he just is not small. He rarely is pushed around or knocked down or out muscled in front of the net or on the boards.

Bonk played big :sarcasm:

I've heard people compare Pageau to Gilmour before, and I see similarities. Gilmour didn't back down from anyone. Same with Pageau.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Does he still have a pulse?

I dont notice him anymore when he’s on the ice

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Bonk played big :sarcasm:

I've heard people compare Pageau to Gilmour before, and I see similarities. Gilmour didn't back down from anyone. Same with Pageau.

Didn't Alfredsson kick the crap out of Gilmour in Alfie's one & only NHL fight? :laugh:

IMO PD will trade one of either Pageau or Brassard before the deadline to try & acquire another 1st rd pick for the 2018 draft. My guess is that it could be Brassard since he is older & still may have some value given he is known as a playoff performer.

If they do move Brassard then it will be interesting who will move into the 2nd line centre spot for next season. I assume that Pageau, Smith, Thompson or even Chlapik will get an opportunity to play 2nd line centre down the stretch & maybe next season too. Next yr though they could have a long look at Brown to see if he could play in the NHL. He is physically NHL ready but is he mentally ready for the pace & gruel of an 82 game season & could he handle 2nd line duties? With all the good centres coming I would have to think that if Pageau isn't traded this yr, he might get traded next yr before the deadline.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He's one of the players im most disappointed in this year. He looks like a player that's completely lost the hunger he once had. I dont understand why he gets a free pass most of the time around here. If the excuse is that its because hes not with Stone anymore, then thats not a good thing either

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Big Pageau fan. A keeper for any NHL team.

Big game player, rise to the challenger type of player...even for a 1st I wouldn’t trade him

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
He's one of the players im most disappointed in this year. He looks like a player that's completely lost the hunger he once had. I dont understand why he gets a free pass most of the time around here. If the excuse is that its because hes not with Stone anymore, then thats not a good thing either
I agree with this. Having said that, I wonder if he'd have better results than Brassard if he was given his linemates. Brassard has been just as disappointing as Pageau.

Reactions: Boud

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I agree with this. Having said that, I wonder if he'd have better results than Brassard if he was given his linemates. Brassard has been just as disappointing as Pageau.

I've always been thinking the same. I think both are very comparable in terms of what they bring to the table. They're used in very different roles, but we've seen what Pageau can do with better linemates.

Brassard has a pretty good contract and some of his stats with the Rangers add some value as teams might believe he was just not a good fit in Ottawa. I think he has a bigger name out there than Pageau so trading him could be the logical thing here. Keep Pageau who has an extra year at good salary and trade Brassard who'll return something better probably.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

I don't think Pageau has the offensive upside of Brassard, but I think in the right situation Pageau could fit in as a 2C. We've seen him in the past play really well with Smith and Stone as his wingers, and he also completely outplayed Zibanejad at the tail end of 15-16 after Turris went down with the Gumby injury. He doesn't have the playmaking talents of a 2C, but he can generate offense with his smarts and willingness to go to the front of the net. He's limited as a 2C in that he needs at least one really skilled winger who can help drive the offense. He's looked good at times with Stone or Ryan in that regards.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I've always been thinking the same. I think both are very comparable in terms of what they bring to the table. They're used in very different roles, but we've seen what Pageau can do with better linemates.

Brassard has a pretty good contract and some of his stats with the Rangers add some value as teams might believe he was just not a good fit in Ottawa. I think he has a bigger name out there than Pageau so trading him could be the logical thing here. Keep Pageau who has an extra year at good salary and trade Brassard who'll return something better probably.

I think they are completely different types of players. I think if you want offense out of Pageau as a 2C, you need to stick him with a good playmaker. Where as, while Brassard obviously benefits from being paired with Stone and Ryan, he can create a good portion of the offense on his own. Brassard isn't playing great right now. But think back to the start of the season how he was playing when he was really going strong. I don't think Pageau has that same kind of skill. Pageau would play a completely different role on the line as a 2C.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I don't think Pageau has the offensive upside of Brassard, but I think in the right situation Pageau could fit in as a 2C. We've seen him in the past play really well with Smith and Stone as his wingers, and he also completely outplayed Zibanejad at the tail end of 15-16 after Turris went down with the Gumby injury. He doesn't have the playmaking talents of a 2C, but he can generate offense with his smarts and willingness to go to the front of the net. He's limited as a 2C in that he needs at least one really skilled winger who can help drive the offense. He's looked good at times with Stone or Ryan in that regards.

I agree with all of this but Zibanejad had a strong end of the season when Turris went down he was real solid and went with something like 18-20 points in his last 20 games I believe which is pretty damn good considering he wasn't playing with Stone.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I agree with all of this but Zibanejad had a strong end of the season when Turris went down he was real solid and went with something like 18-20 points in his last 20 games I believe which is pretty damn good considering he wasn't playing with Stone.
15 pts, so about a 60 pts pace, but he did have 11 in his last 13, so there was definitely a strong stretch. Don't recall who he was playing with to finish it off, probably Hoffman and maybe Ryan?

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

I recall Zibanejad having a real tough time initially early on when Turris was hurt and the Senators needed him to step up, and then when Turris initially was shut down, Zibanejad was getting outplayed by Pageau at that point. You are right that Zibanejad eventually did finish hot.

Although, I might entirely be misremembering things. 15-16 feels like ages ago at this point hockey wise. It's funny how quickly things move in that regard.

hirez

Feb 25, 2012
Pageau is the best, sorry for the forum necromancy but everytime I imagine my all time favorite player in Maple Leaf Blue, I get a headache and Pageau is my boy!

Hopefully he gets a injury free decent season, shit he'll probably 1st line center with what shit we have. And for god sakes stop puting him out there with plugs, Zack Smith, and all the dead weight he has to carry.

I remember Boucher saying Pageau was the Honey Badger, almost every single player when asked who they want to be on a line with, everyone had Pageau, -- so he gives himk MPS/Zack Shit/Something called a Veronneau

Line Combination
I mean the 2 bolded lines are when he was great (during that few months Bobby was actually good. Im sure there were some lines with like Lazar and Pyatt. and Neil, and probably f***ing mcgratten if they played together at some time :P

Just dont know the best site to look up linemates
PAAJARVI,MAGNUS - PAGEAU,JEAN-GABRIEL - SMITH,ZACK
PAGEAU,JEAN-GABRIEL - SMITH,ZACK - STONE,MARK
DUCHENE,MATT - DZINGEL,RYAN - PAGEAU,JEAN-GABRIEL - STONE,MARK
PAAJARVI,MAGNUS - PAGEAU,JEAN-GABRIEL - SMITH,ZACK
DZINGEL,RYAN - PAGEAU,JEAN-GABRIEL - RYAN,BOBBY
PAGEAU,JEAN-GABRIEL - SMITH,ZACK - STONE,MARK
DUCLAIR,ANTHONY - PAGEAU,JEAN-GABRIEL - TKACHUK,BRADY
PAGEAU,JEAN-GABRIEL - TKACHUK,BRADY - VERONNEAU,MAX
PAGEAU,JEAN-GABRIEL - RYAN,BOBBY - SMITH,ZACK
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited: