Player Discussion Jean-Gabriel Pageau

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hoffman should be in the top six though...

Top 6 is a bit of an antiquated idea imo.

Hoffman needs to be put in situations where he can maximize his impact, the biggest of which is on the PP, which he's getting.

With Smith finding such great chemistry with Stone, and Dzingel playing well, it allows us to create 3 lines and make us tough to match up against. Having 3 good lines imo is more dangerous than 1 great line, 1 good line and 1 bad line.

I wouldn't be opposed to swapping Dzingel and Hoffman, I just don't see it as a need by any stretch. I'd love to see a more offensively skilled version of Pyatt on that line though (Maybe White becomes that guy down the road?)

One thing I will say is that Hoffman buying into a role on the shutdown line, there could be some huge long term benefits. Hoffman is a great asset as a 1 dimensional ~25-30 goal, ~60 pts winger. If he can become a two-way ~25-30 goal, ~60 pts winger, look out.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Top 6 is a bit of an antiquated idea imo.

Hoffman needs to be put in situations where he can maximize his impact, the biggest of which is on the PP, which he's getting.

With Smith finding such great chemistry with Stone, and Dzingel playing well, it allows us to create 3 lines and make us tough to match up against. Having 3 good lines imo is more dangerous than 1 great line, 1 good line and 1 bad line.

I wouldn't be opposed to swapping Dzingel and Hoffman, I just don't see it as a need by any stretch. I'd love to see a more offensively skilled version of Pyatt on that line though (Maybe White becomes that guy down the road?)

One thing I will say is that Hoffman buying into a role on the shutdown line, there could be some huge long term benefits. Hoffman is a great asset as a 1 dimensional ~25-30 goal, ~60 pts winger. If he can become a two-way ~25-30 goal, ~60 pts winger, look out.

Yeah look at for his next contract haha.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Since GB has Hoffman playing with Pageau, that adds an offensive element to the line, I would also like to see them place Lazar at RW with those two to see if they can create some chemistry & Lazar brings an element of toughness. They have to find a way to get Lazar some pts here.

Hoffman - Pageau - Lazar
Pyatt - Kelly - Neil

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Since GB has Hoffman playing with Pageau, that adds an offensive element to the line, I would also like to see them place Lazar at RW with those two to see if they can create some chemistry & Lazar brings an element of toughness. They have to find a way to get Lazar some pts here.

Hoffman - Pageau - Lazar
Pyatt - Kelly - Neil

I like that. Lazar has had some good chemistry with the Hoff in the past too.

burf

Mar 27, 2012

Hoffman - Pageau - Lazar
Pyatt - Kelly - Neil

Putting a bottom-5 in the NHL offensive player on the 3rd line to see if it will increase that line's offense does not seem like a great plan to me.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Putting a bottom-5 in the NHL offensive player on the 3rd line to see if it will increase that line's offense does not seem like a great plan to me.

He was good centering Hoff and stone in his rookie year, and did well enough with pageau and condra that same year. Those two are among the only guys he's actually shown chemistry with in the past. Worth a shot, though I personally don't see why we're in a rush to replace Pratt on that line

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He was good centering Hoff and stone in his rookie year, and did well enough with pageau and condra that same year. Those two are among the only guys he's actually shown chemistry with in the past. Worth a shot, though I personally don't see why we're in a rush to replace Pratt on that line

160817.jpg

Tracy is getting up there time to move him on a line with Kelly and Neil

beaniewong

Oct 6, 2013
I love Pageau, but he hasn't been his usual self to the point where I don't feel comfortable having him on the ice against any matchup....

Bobbling the puck, poor decisions, falling, him and Ryan have switched bodies maybe.......

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I love Pageau, but he hasn't been his usual self to the point where I don't feel comfortable having him on the ice against any matchup....

Bobbling the puck, poor decisions, falling, him and Ryan have switched bodies maybe.......

It's weird. He's usually really good when he's given an assignment to shut down a player on the other team.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The problem we are seeing is that he is being asked to shutdown a guy who literally is his equivalent but in superstar mode. Bergeron and Marchand are incredibly difficult to shutdown and imo Pageau has actually been doing just alright this series which is pretty good considering he normally excels vs fast and skilled players and not big physical ones.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
The problem we are seeing is that he is being asked to shutdown a guy who literally is his equivalent but in superstar mode. Bergeron and Marchand are incredibly difficult to shutdown and imo Pageau has actually been doing just alright this series which is pretty good considering he normally excels vs fast and skilled players and not big physical ones.

Ovechkin?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It might be a yr too soon but I would think that White might eventually take one of Pageau or Brassard's spot on the roster soon.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
This was a career year for Pageau. I know he produced more last year, but with Turris down he got more offensive opportunities. Putting up 33 points while excelling as our prime shutdown center is very impressive.

He'll be 25 at the beginning of next season. I hope we lock him down 4-5 years. If his camp are smart, they'll know how important he is to our team and will be looking for 3.5M+ type money on his UFA years that his next deal will eat up. Pageau has 2 years of RFA control left (correct me if I'm wrong here...) so if his next deal extends beyond 2 seasons it might be backloaded with the UFA years seeing Pageau get higher salary compensation.

Some people are going to say he is replaceable by White, or whoever else but I don't think that's exactly true...at least not for a while. I get the impression by how glowingly Dorion talks about Pageau and how he is used by Boucher that he is considered important to the team.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Not to sound like Aragorn, but it would be good to have at least one big centre though... I would trade any of our top 3 Cs to make that happen.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not to sound like Aragorn, but it would be good to have at least one big centre though... I would trade any of our top 3 Cs to make that happen.

We had a big centre with soft hands at one time. He's in Dallas now.

As for Player 44, it's a great point about the assignment he's been given. For my money, Patrice Bergeron might be the most complete player in the NHL. Babcock absolutely loves the guy when he gets him on Team Canada, and for good reason. Due to the fact that he's a quiet, non-flashy kind of player, I think fans and media miss just how consistently good Bergeron is every night.

To me, Pageau is who he is - a great checking third line centre who is a critical part of your penalty kill, and who may chip in the occasional big goal when things are going well for him. We can't ask him to contribute offensively like a top two centre, because that's not who he is...

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Let's give credit where credit is due, neither Bergeron or Marchand are beating us right now & I'm quite sure that Pageau has something to do with that. Yes, that line is having some success but what did we expect from that line, they are all very good so I expect them to do well but they are not beating us.

Why not? :nod:

Ottawa does have White, then Brown coming & IMO Brown could be the big centre everyone thinks this team needs but on the other hand Brown could be as frustrating to watch as Spezza was near the end or Ryan was during the regular season. It will all depend on how committed he is & whether he will improve his determination to be a great pro.

I expect that White will push for one of the centre spots next season or more likely the yr after. IMO he is going to push one of Pageau or Brassard out eventually & I would like to see GB move Paul to centre, I think he should be Ottawa's 4th line centre next season. That would give Ottawa at least one big centre & he was good at faceoffs in junior & is known to also be very responsible defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->