Player Discussion Jean-Gabriel Pageau

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
What happened to him?

He had 19 goals, 24 assists and 43 points last season.

I thought he was going to turn into a great bottom 6 player.

As of now, he only has 4 goals, 9 assists and 13 points.

One hit wonder or is Bouchers system having an impact on him?

Last edited:

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I wonder if it's a confidence thing. He seems to whiff at the puck just when he has a great scoring opportunity. Happened a 2-3 times in the last couple of games.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
His production really isn't an issue. He got 43 points last year, but he also played with Smith/Stone and got more ice time and put into more offensive situations than this season via Turris being hurt and Zibanejad flopping until the end of the season when he heated up.

As it is now, he is basically on pace for 30 points, which is fine in his role. If you think he hasn't been as good this year, I am not saying you shouldn't argue that, but a drop in production from 43 points down to what he is on pace for now which is 27 shouldn't really be part of the argument because a drop was expected considering he isn't going to get favourable ice time or offensive opportunities with Turris and Brassard in front of him.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
What happened to him?

He had 19 goals, 24 assists and 43 points last season.

I thought he was going to turn into a great bottom 6 player.

As of now, he only has 4 goals, 9 assists and 13 points.

I doubt he is going to catch the amount of points he put up last season.

One time wonder or is Bouchers system having an impact on him?

I think it has everything to do with him being put on a checking line & not playing with Stone & Smith. I would like to see Ottawa acquire a goal scoring RWer to play with Brassard & Hoffman (Brouwer) so that they can put that line (Smith - Pageau - Stone) back together & create three scoring lines. All three are also very good defensively to double as a checking line.

Then again, I thought that eventually Lazar would take Pageau's job & since that has yet to happen & may never, there is also the possibility that White or even Brown in a few yrs could take his job but until they do who knows. But IMO Ottawa needs more offence from that 3rd line centre spot & the 3rd line in general to compete for a playoff spot & for sure in the playoffs.

J0sh

Jul 12, 2015
Pageau is our most consistent player just waiting for an opportunity to play with more talented players.
He's been amazing the last 2 years with condra/lazar and then smith/stone and this year he's just playing with the yodeler too much.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
His production really isn't an issue. He got 43 points last year, but he also played with Smith/Stone and got more ice time and put into more offensive situations than this season via Turris being hurt and Zibanejad flopping until the end of the season when he heated up.

As it is now, he is basically on pace for 30 points, which is fine in his role. If you think he hasn't been as good this year, I am not saying you shouldn't argue that, but a drop in production from 43 points down to what he is on pace for now which is 27 shouldn't really be part of the argument because a drop was expected considering he isn't going to get favourable ice time or offensive opportunities with Turris and Brassard in front of him.

Maybe we should try putting him with Stone and Smith again?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Bit like Brassard this year. Both their overall games are pretty good but they are not able to get on the score sheet as much as they should... They both get opportunities.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
definitely we need more from the 3C spot. Pageau seems pretty snake bit this year. Being healthy would help with the slotting. I think to do any damage we need a healthy Mac back, health every where else up front and 1 solid acquisition.

Poor Pageau, he could easily have another 5 just on tap in type goals.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
iirc he had quite a few short handed empty net goals last year did he not? Last year's production isn't the norm. That's probably why some people have high expectations of him.

Aside from point production his play isn't what most fans are accustomed to. He was tenacious. Perhaps it's a change of roles as some have alluded to

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
He seems to be generating chances, they are just not going in or he's missing the net. He's had 3 or 4 open nets that he just missed.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He needs to be more tenacious. He seems to have lost that edge this season. Maybe the 'newness' of being in the NHL has worn off?

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Been noticing a bit of east-west play. He's been trying to make fancy passes here and there as opposed to last year where it was pretty straight forward north-south hockey. Which suited him much better.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Second-highest individual expected goals on our team, can't bury I guess. I'd bet on him turning it around sooner than later.

Edit: (At 5v5)

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
no mark stone happened

What an informative and deep reply. :shakehead

Pageau also had a great year with Condra and Lazar, which says a lot more about him than those two players, who haven't even been able to remain in their lineups regularly.

Pageau is definitely having an off year, but it's not due to not playing with Stone. He just needs to get back to the basics and play the way he's always played before these last few months. Get that edge back, go in front of the net/dirty areas, and don't try to be fancy.

With all that said though, it's also very difficult to produce offensively when playing with guys like Kelly and Pyatt, who don't really know how to make plays anymore. If he can get Smith back on his wing as well as another real 3rd liner on the other side, it would go a long way in helping him get his mojo back, imo. I know he's currently got Hoffman on the left, so maybe that'll work if they can stay together for more than a few games.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Plus: greater focus on team defence also leads to lower offensive production.

Plus his role has changed as others have indicated with Turris and Brassard taking the PP and top line roles.

Pageau is used a lot of the time in a shutdown role. I think he has been good in that role, and he has remained moderately productive. He was never going to touch last year's production because it was an anomaly. He was playing in a completely different role, different types of minutes and assignments, different linemates.

I would guess that the coaching staff and Dorion are happy with his performance thus far. Last night's game he played more than any other forward.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He's a 2nd half player, and a playoff player. He gets better on tougher games.

He'll have a big 2nd half.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Through 58 games last year he had 23 points, or an 82 game pace of 33 points. He then caught fire down the stretch in large part due to more offensive opportunity with Turris hurt. He played 2+ minutes more per game in the last 20 or so games, he was given more offensive ice time, and of course he got to play with Stone.

He is a career 10.7% shooter. Last year he shot a career best 14.3% and this year he's shooting a career worst 5.6%. Even at his career average, he would have double the amount of goals this year which would put him on pace for 15+ goals and 35+ points, much closer to what he did last year.
He averaged 1.62 shots per game last year and 1.82 this year, so there's certainly a lack of puck luck involved here; I can recall at least a few great chances that haven't found the back of the net for him.
Ottawa also had an aggressive PK last year which led to a lot of short handed goals [and a lot of PP goals against..]. Being mainly a defensive forward, his offensive numbers benefited from this with 7 goals and 9 points on the PK compared to no points this year.

I honestly don't think he's played poorly this year at all. He's a key piece in their defensive transformation. He's been our best faceoff man, a top PK option, and he continues to play a physical game. A few more goals would be nice but I think he's at least generated a decent amount of chances.

So for me, no, he's not a one hit wonder at all.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Pageau is our most consistent player just waiting for an opportunity to play with more talented players.
He's been amazing the last 2 years with condra/lazar and then smith/stone and this year he's just playing with the yodeler too much.

Through 58 games last year he had 23 points, or an 82 game pace of 33 points. He then caught fire down the stretch in large part due to more offensive opportunity with Turris hurt. He played 2+ minutes more per game in the last 20 or so games, he was given more offensive ice time, and of course he got to play with Stone.

He is a career 10.7% shooter. Last year he shot a career best 14.3% and this year he's shooting a career worst 5.6%. Even at his career average, he would have double the amount of goals this year which would put him on pace for 15+ goals and 35+ points, much closer to what he did last year.
He averaged 1.62 shots per game last year and 1.82 this year, so there's certainly a lack of puck luck involved here; I can recall at least a few great chances that haven't found the back of the net for him.
Ottawa also had an aggressive PK last year which led to a lot of short handed goals [and a lot of PP goals against..]. Being mainly a defensive forward, his offensive numbers benefited from this with 7 goals and 9 points on the PK compared to no points this year.

I honestly don't think he's played poorly this year at all. He's a key piece in their defensive transformation. He's been our best faceoff man, a top PK option, and he continues to play a physical game. A few more goals would be nice but I think he's at least generated a decent amount of chances.

So for me, no, he's not a one hit wonder at all.

Two excellent posts.

Playing with Pyatt and Kelly vs Smith and Stone.

Do the math. Pageau is a spectacular depth C to have though. Will come up huge in playoffs.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
He's playing with Pyatt who sucks and Hoffman who slightly helps in his current role. Positive is we're going to sign him for cheap.

Get him wingers who have skill.

Versteeg - Pageau - Parentaeu

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
He's playing with Pyatt who sucks and Hoffman who slightly helps in his current role. Positive is we're going to sign him for cheap.

Get him wingers who have skill.

Versteeg - Pageau - Parentaeu

That's better than what we have but not very pretty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->