Pageau looks like a star

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
If we can throw Pageau out against other teams smaller top centers - Kadri, Krejci, Richards, Grabovski - and have Turris and Spezza stack up against the other centres, our road game should improve by a huge amount.

Pageau is a fan favorite, like when Alfie started and we all loved him for his heart and intensity, Pageau has that same quality.

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Are you still allowed to smoke inside the Bob?

Oh no. Even Québec realises that that's not a good idea.

Great place to watch a hockey game, great atmosphere, lots of fun, a very loud crowd & a pretty good team yr after yr. Hope to catch a few again this yr with Dunn playing there. :nod:

That it is! Keep an eye on Dostie too (#13). We're only five games into his rookie season, but I think Dostie is going to be something special. He looks like a QMJHL veteran already.

He is gathering quite the support bandwagon & good for him. :handclap:

One thing that's kind of cool is that we're starting to see more Sens jerseys at The Bob. While I'd prefer these people to be wearing black and silver (/orange & purple /blue & gold...), the only NHL jerseys that you'd see at games a couple of years ago were Giroux jerseys, with the odd Krejčí, Hemský, and Talbot jersey here and there. One of the biggest mistakes that the Original Senators made was in alienating the local Franco population. I'm hoping that Pageau's place on the team will have the opposite impact that not picking up Aurèle Joliat did.

Habs AND Olympiques fan.

Have we met? If not, we're not hard to find.

expect a breakaway 30%+ of the time because of how fast and smart Pageau is of stripping players.

My all-time favourite Pageau moment was a game winning penalty shot goal... two men down.

He's a player, that's all that's being said. You don't see little guys like that get drafted in the 4th round, and then walk in looking like they have 5 years of experience and heart to go with it. He's the smallest guy on the roster and is virtually the only one who goes to the middle of the ice in the offensive zone on a consistent basis.

Seriously, how can you not love the guy when you see bigger more heralded players driving the zone and letting their shots rip from outside the faceoff dots?

The thing about Pageau is that he's always been the most talented player on every team he's ever played for, but people were always telling him that he'll have a hard time making the NHL because of his size. Unlike a lot of other people (I'm guessing), Pageau never thought this at all, and he'd do whatever he was told to do to make up for that. The Senators told him to work on his physical game when he was sent back to Hull after his first camp, and he just about hit somebody into the 5th row his first game back.

Us Piques fans who followed Pageau's career with Gatineau knew who he was. We all knew about his talent, work ethic, hockey IQ, tenacity. We all remember him outplaying Couturier and going face-to-face with Huberdeau on a stacked St-John team.

But even then, I'm still surprise how well his game translate into the NHL.

While I generally would be surprised, I never doubted that he'd be able to take his game to the NHL level. I am pleasantly surprised at how quickly he was able to do it though.

Again, have we met yet? We're not terribly difficult to find.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Reading this thread makes it seem like Pageau is the second incarnation of Wayne Gretzky.

Our fanbase has the tendency to SEVERELY overrate our players. See Rundblad for example.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

I agree with this but the difference is the hype train didn't start when no one watched the player like Rundblad and to an extent Silfverberg. Pageau situation is the complete opposite of this, people had watched him and were very familiar. It was not until he came up and showed everyone what he is capable of.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
It was an amazing show, though.
It was legendary (only time I went to the Bob as well)! I think I still have the CD of the concert (remember, they pressed it on site). But I liked their more recent Doolittle reunion tour better...

As for hockey IQ, our best guy bolted for greener pastures... :cry:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I agree with this but the difference is the hype train didn't start when no one watched the player like Rundblad and to an extent Silfverberg. Pageau situation is the complete opposite of this, people had watched him and were very familiar. It was not until he came up and showed everyone what he is capable of.

This is a very good post.

DoughtyFace

May 9, 2012
Ottawa

tumblr_inline_mfd3t0Vl061qiv5yk.gif

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I'm not sure about being a star but there is a lot to like about his game. He's very sound defensively, his compete level appears to be tremendous (and I think that really helps compensate for size) and he's a great skater.

Above that, he appears to think the game at a very high level and he has an underrated release & shot. I think these last 2 qualities are what gives him a chance to be an above average overall player, despite his size deficiencies. The other key quality is how relentless he is when he plays - he just never stops bringing it.

shootingrubber

Oct 7, 2010

I also agree with this. But a handful of excellent good games in the NHL doesn't equate to a "star".

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I also agree with this. But a handful of excellent good games in the NHL doesn't equate to a "star".

I don't think the point was to say he's a star. To say he looks like he's gonna end up that way.

I'd be surprised if Pageau got worse instead of better. The idea that he has "it" actually makes sense here. I'm not sure how good he can get, but that's partly because he makes me forget he's 20 and only has a handful of games. So far basically every shift he's played like he's 26 and has played 400 games.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
You cant overhype a 4th line center who`s 5`8 and plays like he`s 6ft with some tenacity. You just cant. His expectations are so low that as long as he plays with heart and doesnt score a single goal all year he`d still be loved this much.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You cant overhype a 4th line center who`s 5`8 and plays like he`s 6ft with some tenacity. You just cant. His expectations are so low that as long as he plays with heart and doesnt score a single goal all year he`d still be loved this much.

I don't think anyone expects, or would be happy with Pageau being 5'8 4th line center who scores 0 goals.

His expectations are also not very low if you read through the thread.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
What do people think he can be long term?

What do people think he can do this year....doesn't have to be number, maybe a prediction in icetime/responsibility, a belief that he'll climb the lineup latter....or not?

I don't think he'll be far from the 0.5 PPG he's been so far. All depends on ice and linemates, I just don't think he's likely to get screwed that way.

Last edited:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

What do people think he can do this year....doesn't have to be number, maybe a prediction in icetime/responsibility, a belief that he'll climb the lineup latter....or not?

I don't think he'll be far from the 0.5 PPG he's been so far.

I still say a smaller Callahan.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Does anyone else wince at the term "compete level"?

I mean, not only is it terrible grammar, but we already have an English word that describes this perfectly, in the proper tense and everything: "competitiveness".

Rant over, carry on ;)

Noun 1. competitiveness - an aggressive willingness to compete

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

I don't think he'll be far from the 0.5 PPG he's been so far.

I think he is going to be an excellent and frustrating checking center to play against the smaller centers in the league like Grabovski, Kadri, Desharnais, Krejci who will begin to put up points and win us the 5 on 5 +/- battle against other teams 2nd line. He can also play against slower centers and use his speed to break up their play

Also he will draw a lot of penalties by always being in front of the net and will be a guy that causes turnovers by leading the forecheck (kinda like how Alfie would).

I think Pageau gets 17 goals and 23 assists for 40 points, but only because he plays a checking line roll for a big chunk of the season.

shootingrubber

Oct 7, 2010

Have you read this thread?

WhiteLight*

I don't think he'll be far from the 0.5 PPG he's been so far. All depends on ice and linemates, I just don't think he's likely to get screwed that way.

50-55 point two-way centre. Elite 2nd liner.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax

Well, I supposed he could be anywhere from a star to out of the league, long term. But I think he's got potential to be an elite 3rd line C - provides energy, defense and some scoring punch. I know many more here see bigger things, but that's what I see. A better skating Chris Kelly, but with a better shot (i.e. more goals).

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Well, I supposed he could be anywhere from a star to out of the league, long term. But I think he's got potential to be an elite 3rd line C - provides energy, defense and some scoring punch. I know many more here see bigger things, but that's what I see. A better skating Chris Kelly, but with a better shot (i.e. more goals).

I think Chris Kelly with a better shot and faster is better than a 3rd line Center. Just don't know how much better.

There's a lot there for a kid that's got some physical maturation to go. He's got a lot of intangible qualities developing that will go well with physical development.

This year could be a lot of things....but I think he's set up well to develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad