Pageau looks like a star

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I will paraphrase last night's commentator of Pageau's play:

"Even with a minute left in a pre-season game, Pageau is playing as if it were the playoffs."

That's all you really need to know.

Speed+Unbelievable IQ+Defensive awareness+Good hands+110% every. single. shift. = Star waiting to happen.

shootingrubber

Oct 7, 2010
You know your fan base is overrating a player when they say his hockey IQ is better than Karlsson's.

:facepalm:

Pageau is good, I agree, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

WhiteLight*

But seriously, Pageau's two-way game just blows Briere's out of the water. If he comes a 60 point player then yes Pageau > Briere

misha1976

Mar 2, 2012
Delhi, India
I do wonder if the chants last year had a small impact. I get they're professionals, I get that fans think they have more influence than they do, but I do wonder whether kid getting that kind of love in a big stadium gave him a bit of fire under the butt to try a little bit more than he would otherwise. Of course this assumes he's skilled, which he is.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If he plays the full yr in Ottawa & that's a big if, I think he is capable of 30 pts at the most. He is not on the PP, may not even get 2nd PP time. He will likely play on the 4th line, so I'm not expecting a whole lot from him until Da Costa is traded & Pageau moves up a line.

Until he has the career Briere has, it's all hype & Filatov was going to win the scoring championship & Rundblad the Norris. :sarcasm:

John Holmes*

From the same article:

Brière’s Gatineau’s contacts told him about the rising teenage star, so he invited Pageau and his uncle to Philadelphia to watch him play a Game 7 playoff game against Montreal.

“You hear about the best player in the area and he drove down to the game,†Brière says. “He came to the dressing room and I gave him a stick. And, after that, you started hearing more and more about him. From everyone around, all I kept hearing was how mature he was for his age, how dedicated he was, how serious he was in wanting to play in the NHL. When you see a kid like that, that really wants to take it to the next level, it’s great. You try to help them.

“You can tell in his attitude. He’s one of those kids that always wants more. He’s very competitive. And one thing I told him, ‘It’s one thing to get to the NHL. There are a lot of guys who get there. It’s also about moving forward, about staying there for many years.†â€

Pretty cool.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If he plays the full yr in Ottawa & that's a big if, I think he is capable of 30 pts at the most. He is not on the PP, may not even get 2nd PP time. He will likely play on the 4th line, so I'm not expecting a whole lot from him until Da Costa is traded & Pageau moves up a line.

Until he has the career Briere has, it's all hype & Filatov was going to win the scoring championship & Rundblad the Norris. :sarcasm:

Buddy Robinson would get 60+ amirite

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
You know your fan base is overrating a player when they say his hockey IQ is better than Karlsson's.

:facepalm:

Pageau is good, I agree, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

He doesn't nearly have the physical and tangible talents that make Karlsson a potential generational talent. karlsson's smart and thinks on a high level, but it's far from his defining quality. Hockey sense is next to impossible to quantify, but there's an argument to be made. With that said, spouting off like you thnik other people are stupid for suggesting it makes you look like a jack ass.

If you're gonna use facepalm, make sure you're right.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

Pageau's probably gonna be one of Mac's favourite players by season's end...I wouldn't doubt the possibility he gains more responsibility as time goes on.

You struggle majorly with objectivity though. Struggling somewhat is normal, but man.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
Hyping/Overrating aside....He has a certain level of intensity to his game that I just dig.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Pageau's probably gonna be one of Mac's favourite players by season's end...I wouldn't doubt the possibility he gains more responsibility as time goes on.

You struggle majorly with objectivity though. Struggling somewhat is normal, but man.

I like what I see in Pageau, he works hard every shift, I respect that & he seems to have a lot of heart that I think this team needs more of. I also think he is already a favourite of PMs, how could he not be, the fans also love him. But to say he is going to get 50 pts or so as some have said seems a little far fetched considering as I said earlier that he likely won't see that much PP time, it will likely go to the players on the top 2 lines. I do see him getting lots of PK time & he does seem to get a few break aways with that but like Condra doesn't quite finish. I doubt he surpasses Turris or Spezza for a few yrs so IMO he is going to struggle to stay in the bottom six as we do have quite a few prospects still to come who will challenge for a roster spot.

I have a different preference than most & I certainly don't want the Sens to return to the days of JM & get pushed around like Ottawa pushed the Habs around in last yrs playoff round. Or the way Buffalo used to get pushed around & why they are getting bigger. I don't think there is enough room for two small centres on our team & would like to see one traded for a need, prefferably SDC. I would also rather have Zibanejad on RW than Condra. Everybody is different, I try not to make fun of people who have very different opinions from my own, I disagree but I try to respect people's opinion. It's what this is, a board for opinions, right? No one here has the credentials to be an expert, do they? And as we know everyone has an opinion. :)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Not to pick on you specifically, but it wouldn't kill Senators fans to come out to The Bob once in a while.

Are you still allowed to smoke inside the Bob? I haven't been there since I saw the Pixies reunion show like... almost a decade ago... and there was so much smoke I thought that the arena had developed it's own atmosphere, and a cold front was rolling in.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Not to pick on you specifically, but it wouldn't kill Senators fans to come out to The Bob once in a while.

Great place to watch a hockey game, great atmosphere, lots of fun, a very loud crowd & a pretty good team yr after yr. Hope to catch a few again this yr with Dunn playing there. :nod:

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

There is no way Da Costa is getting more ice time then JGP.

I said this a few times... Pageau reminds me of Gilmour. The Gilmour of Calgary anyway, not the Hart Trophy caliber couple of seasons Dougie had in Toronto. Pageau is just that tenactious and smart. Plus he plays with a real edge and goes to all the dirty spots on the ice but rarely takes a lot of punishment. His hockey sense is off the charts.

You say 30 points at best. I say at best he is our second line centre or RWer at the Olympic break. And I say this not thinking anyone on the Sens is going to fail and Pageau has to replace them, if what we continue to see game in game out every shift and he actually improves seeing as he only had 19 meaningful NHL games so far. The sky is the limit.

Maclean and Murray sent Zibanejad down. There are no favourites, just who is going to give the team the best chance to win. Looking at Pageau... I can definitely see him getting 16,17,18,19 minutes a night in important roles. Minimum he centres Greening and Condra and is first PK with Condra.

This is not Peter Regin or something. Pageau is both the hardest working AND among the smartest AND among the most talented forwards on the team. He is the smallest but he doesn't play small in any fashion.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
There is no way Da Costa is getting more ice time then JGP.

I said this a few times... Pageau reminds me of Gilmour. The Gilmour of Calgary anyway, not the Hart Trophy caliber couple of seasons Dougie had in Toronto. Pageau is just that tenactious and smart. Plus he plays with a real edge and goes to all the dirty spots on the ice but rarely takes a lot of punishment. His hockey sense is off the charts.

You say 30 points at best. I say at best he is our second line centre or RWer at the Olympic break. And I say this not thinking anyone on the Sens is going to fail and Pageau has to replace them, if what we continue to see game in game out every shift and he actually improves seeing as he only had 19 meaningful NHL games so far. The sky is the limit.

Maclean and Murray sent Zibanejad down. There are no favourites, just who is going to give the team the best chance to win. Looking at Pageau... I can definitely see him getting 16,17,18,19 minutes a night in important roles. Minimum he centres Greening and Condra and is first PK with Condra.

This is not Peter Regin or something. Pageau is both the hardest working AND among the smartest AND among the most talented forwards on the team. He is the smallest but he doesn't play small in any fashion.

Wow, you think pretty highly of him, you really think he can unseat Turris who led our team in scoring in the regular season & playoffs last season? Lofty expectation but Turris does have his doubters on here, I'm also probably one of the few who don't see either Pageau or Da Costa playing wing but anything is possible. The only real reason I see Da Costa on the 3rd line is because I think Da Costa brings a little more offence & I don't think SDC plays a good enough defensive game to be on the 4th line. I think SDC distributes the puck better too but JGP plays a very steady game from beginning to end & finds ways to contribute & he is comfortable playing 4th or 3rd line.

I think if there was a trade I would hope that it was SDC traded to make more room for Pageau. They may keep both but somehow I doubt it. Pageau will be interesting to watch this yr, he's already come a long way & he has a lot of support in this town, there is no question about that. I wonder if that came into play at all, how many fans Pageau puts in the seats, there is always a lot of Quebec plates around at the games now & at the Sensplex. He is gathering quite the support bandwagon & good for him. :handclap:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Habs AND Olympiques fan.

Been comparing Pageau to Tomas Plekanec since 2009-10 or so. So far, I think I'm pretty much on the mark for him.

I might add that he's also a bit more chippy.

Wouldn't be surprised if he makes Turris expendable. Like, quite soon.

I see for him a similar upside -- 60 pts-ish center, better casted as a 2nd center but could play pretty much everywhere an with anybody -- with speed and IQ being his best assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad