Pageau "lights out" in Bingo

Milan the God*

Pageau is a beast. He didn't play well when he was up here but the majority of games he was playing three minutes in between Kassian and Condra.

M4TR1X

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
In my mind there was nothing wrong with Pageau in his stint up here in Ottawa this season. He just wasn't given a legitimate chance. He saw very limited ice time and when he was on the ice it was with a useless player like Kassian.

MacLean should give the kid a decent shot the next time around. For what's been happening and what the team has, I'd like to see Pageau lined up with Conacher and have Spezza center them.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
In my mind there was nothing wrong with Pageau in his stint up here in Ottawa this season. He just wasn't given a legitimate chance. He saw very limited ice time and when he was on the ice it was with a useless player like Kassian.

MacLean should give the kid a decent shot the next time around. For what's been happening and what the team has, I'd like to see Pageau lined up with Conacher and have Spezza center them.

So was Hoffman Locke etc. It's the AHL. There is a difference in size /speed.

WhiteLight*

Or, have Pageau centre Spezza. Pageau actually plays the position

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I worry a bit about prospects on this team right now only because I've noticed since MacLean has been here they don't have a very long leash (unless there are no other options) despite that the team was supposed to be in a rebuild.

Filatov, Da Costa, Pageau, Zibanejad, Stone, Hoffman, Borowiecki I think have all been up with very limited ice time and next to no leash. I mean young players are going to make mistakes, but I don't see them learning much playing with Neil, Kassian and Greening when they do get a chance to be on the ice and not being given the opportunity to really make mistakes and learn from them.

WhiteLight*

This means nothing. If he gets called up he will play 5 minutes a game on the fourth line.

That's not his fault, that's on Walrus for valuing Greening, Neil, Conacher, etc. more than him. Deserves better, poor Pageau

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
It's funny how i continually asked people to explain to me exactly how Pageau was playing badly when he got sent down.

The only thing he was struggling with was faceoffs. When he would win faceoffs his linemates or the D would completely botch it up and it resulted in 3 goals against. None of which are obviously his fault.

I have continually maintained that MacLean was mishandling his ice-time. I also said that sending him down to the AHL was silly because he was too good for the AHL.

I find it most surprising that there are so many positive comments now. Where were all of you when he was playing 4 minutes a game or when he get sent down? I seemed to be the only person defending him (except allaboard).

I'm tired of seeing greening miss open nets, while his effort level has raised a minuscule amount lately he still sucks this year. Michalek is the same, still does almost nothing right (except on the PK strangely enough).

If faceoffs are an issue then give pageau a shot with spezza. He will help Spezza defensively much more than michalek/greening/conacher.

Pageau-Spezza-Conacher (with pageau playing center in the defensive zone)
MacArthur - Turris- Ryan
Michalek - Zibby - Condra
Greening - Smith - Neil
or scratch Conacher/Greening/Michalek (preferably one of the latter two) and put zibby on the top RW smith 3rd C and Grant 4th C.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's funny how i continually asked people to explain to me exactly how Pageau was playing badly when he got sent down.

The only thing he was struggling with was faceoffs. When he would win faceoffs his linemates or the D would completely botch it up and it resulted in 3 goals against. None of which are obviously his fault.

Honestly, I thought he was missing his footspeed and compete level.

At the end of last season + playoffs, he was always noticeable on the ice, even without the puck.

This season, there were periods where his shifts went by without any spark whatsoever. Not pressuring the opposition puck carriers. Not forechecking with the same intensity.

Pageau was not playing to his full capabilities, and I think that's a compliment.

Obviously I'm willing to see him brought back up at some point, particularly with how Richardson is talking about his play in Binghamton.

And if anyone should sit, in my mind, it should be Greening, Kassian and Neil, but MacLean seems to like his vets.

Guys like he and Conacher will always have to outskate the opposition because they don't have the strength to battle it out along the boards.

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
Honestly, I thought he was missing his footspeed and compete level.

At the end of last season + playoffs, he was always noticeable on the ice, even without the puck.

This season, there were periods where his shifts went by without any spark whatsoever.

Pageau was not playing to his full capabilities, and I think that's a compliment.

Obviously I'm willing to see him brought back up at some point.

And if anyone should sit, in my mind, it should be Greening, Kassian and Neil, but MacLean seems to like his vets.

This seems like a pretty fair assessment. Even so, increased ice-time would probably have been a better solution then sending him down and then calling him back up. They already sat him a few games and then when he drew back in gave him 4-5 minutes? It just seems like a complete joke. Give him a shot, he's on almost every highlight reel they play at the start of every game. He has all the tools to be a legit player in the NHL I see him easily reaching 40 point potential.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This seems like a pretty fair assessment. Even so, increased ice-time would probably have been a better solution then sending him down and then calling him back up. They already sat him a few games and then when he drew back in gave him 4-5 minutes? It just seems like a complete joke. Give him a shot, he's on almost every highlight reel they play at the start of every game. He has all the tools to be a legit player in the NHL I see him easily reaching 40 point potential.

Easiest way to give him increased ice-time was in Bingo.

I'll never forget the contrast between Zibanejad's initial 9 game stint in the NHL (he had shifts with Alfredsson at times) and then his subsequent call-up on the 4th line with O'Brien and Condra.

He was far better with the limited ice time and poorer linemates because he shouldered a lot of the responsibility for the line himself, as opposed to deferring to the veterans like Alfie.

It's unfair but it's the way it goes - you have to show something regardless of how little icetime you get.

The same applied to Da Costa, Hoffman, or whoever else gets brought up.

I agree that O'Brien and Condra is vastly superior to any line with Kassian on it, but that's MacLean's prerogative.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
It's not so much the ice time that's the problem, but the lines they play on. What do you expect to get when you pair up Pageau or Da Costa with a bunch of goons?

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
What do you expect to get when you pair up Pageau or Da Costa with a bunch of goons?

A point every 4-5 games or so, energy, very few mistakes, solid penalty killing and 45% in the faceoff circle. He did ok, but it's better for his development to play big minutes in the AHL until a better opportunity presents itself.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Two things that Hoffman has that Locke doesn't is speed and a great shot. Hoffman is the perfect player for Spezza.

Hoffman is crazy fast. But he's so smaaaallll. I'd say put Greening on the other side of Spezza for some big body presence and physicality, but, well...

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008

I have continually maintained that MacLean was mishandling his ice-time. I also said that sending him down to the AHL was silly because he was too good for the AHL.

I find it most surprising that there are so many positive comments now. Where were all of you when he was playing 4 minutes a game or when he get sent down? I seemed to be the only person defending him (except allaboard).

I'm tired of seeing greening miss open nets, while his effort level has raised a minuscule amount lately he still sucks this year. Michalek is the same, still does almost nothing right (except on the PK strangely enough).

If faceoffs are an issue then give pageau a shot with spezza. He will help Spezza defensively much more than michalek/greening/conacher.

Pageau-Spezza-Conacher (with pageau playing center in the defensive zone)
MacArthur - Turris- Ryan
Michalek - Zibby - Condra
Greening - Smith - Neil
or scratch Conacher/Greening/Michalek (preferably one of the latter two) and put zibby on the top RW smith 3rd C and Grant 4th C.

It was an excuse to send him down because he in on a two way contract and in no way did he play bad. If they wanted him to succeed then they would have played him with Greening and Condra as the 3rd line like they did in last years playoffs and not with Kassian playing 3 minutes a game.

BigBush*

It's too bad the kid plays center because it's the only position the team has good depth in (aside from goaltending). Pageaus pretty much gonna have to wait for an injury to get a call up because I don't think Mac wants him playing on the 4th line

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
It's too bad the kid plays center because it's the only position the team has good depth in (aside from goaltending). Pageaus pretty much gonna have to wait for an injury to get a call up because I don't think Mac wants him playing on the 4th line

Pageau can play wing. His draft profile and scouting reports both state he is completely versatile able to play any forward position. I havent seen him play more then 1 shift at the wing and his excellent defense definitely make him a better fit for the center position but considering the struggle of our wingers...

BigBush*

Pageau can play wing. His draft profile and scouting reports both state he is completely versatile able to play any forward position. I havent seen him play more then 1 shift at the wing and his excellent defense definitely make hVim a better fit for the center position but considering the struggle of our wingers...

Hmmm well I'd be sweet to give him a shot on the wing then. I agree with others that he might be able to build good chemistry with Spezza. I just worry how he'd do defensively (battles along the boards) which is where the team is struggling most

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
If someone asked Luke about Da Costa, Hoffman, Lawson or Ceci he would've said pretty much the same words. Doesn't mean much.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Hmmm well I'd be sweet to give him a shot on the wing then. I agree with others that he might be able to build good chemistry with Spezza. I just worry how he'd do defensively (battles along the boards) which is where the team is struggling most

Pageau is very strong on the boards and defensively. He has a good base and despite his size doesn't shy away from physicality at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad