Injury Report: Pageau injury (upd: recovering well)

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Even in the non-contact jersey, I can't imagine he'll be back before February. This is going purely off my understanding of how severe an achilles tear is. Would love to be wrong of course.

Just the fact that he's skating in a contact jersey right now is incredible.
He’s expected mid January I think

Reactions: solidprospect

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Even in the non-contact jersey, I can't imagine he'll be back before February. This is going purely off my understanding of how severe an achilles tear is. Would love to be wrong of course.

Just the fact that he's skating in a contact jersey right now is incredible.
They have already announced they're expecting him earlier in January.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Getting him back will be huge. He had a negative goal differential 5 on 5 last year and that's abnormal for him. After Brass was traded and White injured, Pageau was our 2c for awhile. Now he can be back in 3c spot and still hopefully capable of playing top lines. Am already kinda comfortable with White playing top lines and will be more comforable in a few seasons when he learns more and adapts.

is also good getting him back for who he might be replacing.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If JGP coming back ends up being huge, that is more of an indictment of the team than praise for JGP.

Good player, has had some insanely clutch moments in the playoffs but the guy isn't a difference maker over 82 games.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
If JGP coming back ends up being huge, that is more of an indictment of the team than praise for JGP.

Good player, has had some insanely clutch moments in the playoffs but the guy isn't a difference maker over 82 games.

Have you not noticed our terrible team defense? JGP is one of our best defensive forwards. How can you possibly say he wouldn't be a difference maker? Just his presence on the PK alone could make a huge difference.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Have you not noticed our terrible team defense? JGP is one of our best defensive forwards. How can you possibly say he wouldn't be a difference maker? Just his presence on the PK alone could make a huge difference.

Because the problem is how the entire team plays defense.

He will help, no doubt about that. I simply don't see JGP has being the kind of guy who returning could lead the team to start rising in the standings.

No disrespect either, very few players are of that kind of calibre.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I hadn't realized that White was their only active RH centre. Duchene, Tierney, and Smith are all lefties and so is Paul or anyone else they might use there who is currently here. In fact Stone and Ryan are the only natural right hand shot RW on their roster too. If anything Pageau's return will help with the balance.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
What are the odds you give a guy who's missed that much time and isn't a top 6 forward a couple AHL games to get up to pace?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Correct - veterans have to agree to any conditioning stints. They seem pretty rare these days - it almost feels like the NHLPA has instructed their guys not to take or accept them...

Wideman recently refused to go on conditoning stint when he came back from his injury.

Reactions: Larionov

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Yeah he would. Don't know why they would refuse. If it was me, I'd like to get a couple games in the minors first.

I think it depends on the situation. For example guys like Stone, Duchene, Karlsson would never go on a conditioning stint in Belleville when coming back from injury because they are impact players and whenever they are ready to go they just play with the big team because they're needed (and they sell tickets as well). Because of that some of the other players might take going to Belleville for a conditioning stint the wrong way.

For guys like Wideman last year I assume he wanted to reclaim his spot in the lineup as soon as possible. Sometimes for these guys they might be scared that the player replacing them is making a bigger impact than they are.

I think Pageau could go in Belleville for a couple games. He's not a guy that should be worried for his spot on the team and also it won't be a problem if we miss him for an extra game or 2 but I could also see Boucher wanting him in the lineup asap. Pageau on 1 leg playing 10 minutes is still better than Pyatt.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Wideman recently refused to go on conditoning stint when he came back from his injury.

Yes, that's the situation I had in mind. It's funny how in baseball, it's still a very common practice - there was Josh Donaldson last season, former AL MVP, taking his hacks in Single A to get back into form - yet in hockey guys generally won't do it.

When Pageau went down I can remember Mark Stone saying something interesting. He predicted that, knowing Pageau's work ethic and character, he would come back better than ever. Hopefully he's right - Pageau says he is pain free right now, which is incredible under the circumstances. Once he gets ten games in, you would imagine that he might be more fresh than the players who will be at that time experiencing the dog days of the long season...

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
“Pageau is going very well,” Boucher said.
Is there any chance he’d play this week?
“Not (Monday),” Boucher said.
Is later in the week possible?
“I lit up some candles and church, and I asked Santa Claus so we’ll see,” Boucher said with a laugh. “It’s going very well. Pageau is one of those guys who always surprises you, so we’ll see.”

Jean-Gabriel Pageau could rejoin Senators lineup earlier than expected

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Pageau would definitely help defensively on this team this yr, but I expect he will not be re-signed & could be gone by next yr's trade deadline. I imagine he could be replaced internally by Chlapik since I think White has become the defensive centre on this team now with much more offensive ability than Pageau. Pageau will be 27 yrs old when his contract runs out & IMO it would probably make more sense to go younger & cheaper. I imagine he could give Ottawa a decent return, should be interesting to see what happens with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->