Injury Report: Pageau injury (upd: recovering well)

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We could use him ,but I worry about just how much rust .Will be on him after missing so much time...It could take months for him to get back to where he was

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
Someone messed up here.

It also could have been a freak injury. A slip, a misstep, or something silly of that nature.

I remember UFC fighter Daniel Cormier almost sitting out his last fight due to a blown out back. He sneezed, causing the injury. He laughed about it afterwards, but it could have cost millions in lost dollars had his physicians not been able to get him to a point to returning to fight.

Ottawa has lost goaltenders for significant time, due to mishaps cutting bagels.

Montreal lost a key player before after a freak accident with said player bending over to pick something up for his kids, blowing out a knee or tearing an Achilles if I remember well.

Focusing on what could have been, is silly.

Who cares who messed up? All that matters is he comes back better and hungrier than before.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
He trained so hard this summer and seemed totally tuned up to make a difference at camp... such a shame.

Hopefully he gets time to get into shape.
I didn't think he looked in great shape going into camp looked heavier than he had been in the past.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
We could use him ,but I worry about just how much rust .Will be on him after missing so much time...It could take months for him to get back to where he was
I don't think he should rush it. It doesn't sound like he will but I would take my time not worth rushing back so soon.

Reactions: topshelf15

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
It also could have been a freak injury. A slip, a misstep, or something silly of that nature.

I remember UFC fighter Daniel Cormier almost sitting out his last fight due to a blown out back. He sneezed, causing the injury. He laughed about it afterwards, but it could have cost millions in lost dollars had his physicians not been able to get him to a point to returning to fight.

Ottawa has lost goaltenders for significant time, due to mishaps cutting bagels.

Montreal lost a key player before after a freak accident with said player bending over to pick something up for his kids, blowing out a knee or tearing an Achilles if I remember well.

Who cares who messed up? All that matters is he comes back better and hungrier than before.

You're missing like the three best freak injuries:

Dustin Penner injuring his back during a pancake eating contest

Jack Johnson missed an entire season because his foot got caught between the gas and the brake of a golf cart

Joe Sakic broke three fingers because he shoved his hand in a working snowblower

Reactions: alfstheman

Egg

Sep 3, 2007

How could you leave Jose Theodore breaking his ankle, while shoveling his driveway, or Ron Tugnutt pulling his groin while tying his shoes?

I think the most classic, has been bagel cutting which has got to have taken out at least 2-3 Sens players. Should be banned, to be honest.

Sentron5000

Mar 24, 2010
The best injury stories I can remember are not hockey but baseball related.

Marty Cordova - had to go on the DL for getting sunburnt in a tanning bed.

Glenallen Hill - had to go on the DL after having a nightmare about spiders and sleepwaking through a glass table.

Reactions: alfstheman

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Glenallen Hill - had to go on the DL after having a nightmare about spiders and sleepwaking through a glass table.

Oh, there was also that pitcher that blew up his shoulder and was out for a year because he tried to tear a phone book in half. :laugh:

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004

Detroit Tigers shortstop Alan Trammell needed knee surgery after he fell off the high platform shoes he was wearing as part of a Frankenstein costume. And Detroit Lions receiver Nate Burleson broke his arm in two places on a late-night food run. He ran his SUV into a median trying to save a pizza from sliding off the front passenger seat.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I don't think he should rush it. It doesn't sound like he will but I would take my time not worth rushing back so soon.

I thought he looked like he bulked up a bit. Though I can’t remember exactly what he looked like in my mind’s eye, it was the impression I had at the time.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Oh, there was also that pitcher that blew up his shoulder and was out for a year because he tried to tear a phone book in half. :laugh:

There was also a Jay's pitcher who missed time I believe because he screwed up his shoulder on a snowmobile but tried to hide it because that was a "dangerous activity" and therefore a breach of his contract.

Also, more random baseball injuries, there's a few doozies in here.
Baseball has the weirdest injuries

Including David Wells being out for stitches after putting his hand through a window sleepwalking and Rickey Henderson falling asleep with an ice pack on his foot and getting frostbite.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa

No, my point is that this type of injury is not typically a freak accident. You have to overload the joint in a particular way, like rebounding jumps etc. It's become common in the CrossFit world and certain movements are now avoided to mitigate the risks. If the testing that was being done had any of those explosive joint loading types of movements, it would be reckless and could subject an expensive athlete to a completely preventable yet dramatic injury. That is not focusing on who is to blame. It's identifying a problem and correcting it so that it doesn't happen again.
By your logic, the person administering the test simply says 'wow, what a freak accident' and continues. Then more players are exposed to a silly risk.
It's more about improving a process IF that is indeed what happened. For all we know he strained it earlier doing something else and then it let go during testing. I have no idea.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
When Pageau comes back, if Pyatt is not coming out... it means they are literally tanking (without their 1st and while having players on expiring contracts)

Paul should also be in the lineup instead of Paajarvi and/or McCormick

Reactions: Icelevel

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Didn't Pascal Leclair get hit in the face with a puck while sitting on the bench talking to someone? He had a few freak accidents too.

My guess is that they will continue to try & trade Pyatt & Paajarvi this yr given they are both UFAs but failing that they may try & move a few others leading up to the deadline, if they can. It's next season when they again should move out next yr's group of UFAs. I could see one or more of Boro, Boedker, DeMello, Anderson, Condon or Pageau moved leading up to next season's trade deadline. With this team playing badly now I could see numerous guys on the trade block, everyone in fact, except for the good young prospects that have a future with this team.

But IMO they need to fire the entire coaching staff to get this team back on the rails, they have been horrendous again this yr & don't seem to have a clue what they are doing. Of course, EM probably can't afford to fire them mid-season & have to pay for another group, so I would guess they finish off the yr, never to be seen or heard from again afterwards. Then EM hires the cheapest coaching staff he can, again repeating the disastrous mistakes of the past, highlighting the very definition of insanity with this owner. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
When Pageau comes back, if Pyatt is not coming out... it means they are literally tanking (without their 1st and while having players on expiring contracts)

Paul should also be in the lineup instead of Paajarvi and/or McCormick

If we keep playing the way we have been over the last 15+ games, Pyatt is still going to be in the lineup because we'll have already traded away pending UFAs by then.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
John smoltz (Braves) burned himself trying to iron his shirt while wearing it

Not sure if true though lol

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
There was also a Jay's pitcher who missed time I believe because he screwed up his shoulder on a snowmobile but tried to hide it because that was a "dangerous activity" and therefore a breach of his contract.

Also, more random baseball injuries, there's a few doozies in here.
Baseball has the weirdest injuries

Including David Wells being out for stitches after putting his hand through a window sleepwalking and Rickey Henderson falling asleep with an ice pack on his foot and getting frostbite.

Poor Joe.. ended his career too. Just goes to show that even some of the smartest hockey players on the ice are probably best suited to being hockey players..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad