Confirmed with Link: Paetsch and Prospal Named Amerks' Assistants

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Good with this.

Not happy about the Buffalo assistants getting new contracts tho

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
Amerks should be in good shape having a coach named Patches.

93C9B188-9277-442D-98E8-3078D5F3CCE7.gif

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Prospal's 1,108 games and 765 points over 16 NHL seasons make for quite the impressive resume for an AHL assistant. Not saying he necessarily trumps Peca's 864 games and 465 points over 14 seasons, but you could do worse when trying to replace his professional experience and credibility.

About six years ago, a mutual friend put Seth Appert and Vaclav “Vinny” Prospal in contact with each other.

Appert, now the Rochester Americans’ coach, was working at the U.S. National Team Development Program. Prospal, a veteran of 1,108 NHL games as a player, was coaching in the Tampa Scorpions youth organization.

As they chatted about hockey and player development, Appert realized how Prospal, who on Monday was named one of Rochester’s assistant coaches, embraced new ideas.

“I was really impressed that a player with 1,100 NHL games didn’t feel he had all the answers when it came to coaching,” said Appert, whose other assistant coach will be former Amerks and Buffalo Sabres defenseman Nathan Paetsch. “That struck me. And all I remember about that conversation is how easy the conversation was for two guys that had never met each other.”

After Rochester’s long run in the Calder Cup Playoffs ended last month, both of Appert’s assistant coaches, Michael Peca and Mike Weber, left for NHL jobs.

One day, as Appert caught up with Bob Daniels, his coach during his playing days at Ferris State, Daniels asked if he had an open mind about the search. When Appert replied yes, Daniels suggested Prospal.

“My answer was, ‘How the heck do you know Vinny Prospal?’” Appert said on a Zoom call Monday.

Last season, Prospal, 48, traveled around the country to soak up knowledge from coaches he knew. He visited Jim Montgomery with the Boston Bruins, Mike Sullivan with the Pittsburgh Penguins and John Tortorella with the Philadelphia Flyers.

One of Prospal’s former players attended Ferris State, so he spent a week with Daniels at the Big Rapids, Michigan, campus.

“Ferris State is not a glamorous place to go visit in the middle of the winter,” Appert said. “And he went up there for a week behind the scenes and fully immersed himself. And again, I thought that that said a lot about how seriously he takes the profession.”

Appert reached out to Prospal, and they had several phone conversations before the Sabres announced he and Paetsch as the Amerks’ new hires.

“It came as a huge surprise, because like pretty much two, three weeks ago, I had my mind set on going back to back to Tampa, being for third year in a row, sort of away from the pro hockey but being being just a full-time dad,” said Prospal, who spent three years coaching in his native Czechia. “And all of a sudden, I got a phone call from Seth.”

Last edited:

zuikan

Mar 26, 2018
I really wish they would have promoted Peca NHL assistant. Oh well.
Maybe he's just too much of a force and might've upset the dynamics Granato has going. He could be projecting to head coach sooner than most. I trust the adults in the room did what's best for everyone concerned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad