Padres unveil new brown and gold uniforms

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Good. Their new uniforms were super boring. Brown and gold has some personality but it will need some finesse to make sure it doesn’t look too retro 70s

Reactions: MikeCubs

BigMac1212

Registered Insominac
Brown and Gold is a nice idea (My high school was nicknamed the "Padres" and was always colored brown & gold) but anybody who thinks the Friars age going back to the 70s/80s uniforms are naive and myopic. It's probably an update to more modern trends and fashion statements.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Not for long. The Padres have baseball's number 1 farm system by far including 9 of the top 100 prospects. They are the next Astros/Cubs/Braves.

i'll have to see it to believe it

that team just knows how to screw things up

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
yeah, no chance of that :sarcasm:

the padres a gm that is in good standing with the rest of the gm's in mlb and stable ownership that spends its money wisely. the world is their oyster.

MikeCubs

May 30, 2018
yeah, no chance of that :sarcasm:

the padres a gm that is in good standing with the rest of the gm's in mlb and stable ownership that spends its money wisely. the world is their oyster.

I give the ownership credit for allowing a Cubs/Astros style tear down. They learned from 2015 on how getting a bunch of big name overrated players is not how to build a team. In the Padres history they've always had a crap farm system until now. That's why only 5 playoff appearances in history. Baseball is a young mans game with roid testing, who has the most good young players wins. The Padres along with the Braves do have the world as their oyster.

When you have as much talent in a system as the Padres you don't need to make a lot of trades with other GM's. You also get to control all your young talent 7 years after they are promoted! The Hosmer signing was stupid and is going to be a horrible contract but as long as they don't make similar type signings they will be ok. They are a dark horse contender for Manny Machado given all the good cheap young talent coming. Almost no committed payroll other than Wil Myers and Hosmer.

Only way I see this going wrong is if they promote prospects too fast and either wreck them or let them get to free agency too soon. I HATED them rushing Manuel Margot to the majors so fast. Absolutely terrible decision. He can't hit yet and they wasted 2 years of service time. He will hit free agency at age 28. He should have spent lot more time developing in the minors. Rushing Luis Urias was dumb too. They should keep him in the minors most of 2019 for more development/manipulate service time and let Kinsler start since this is a lost year.

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
i'll have to see it to believe it

that team just knows how to screw things up

most mediocre franchise of the last 2 decades. Since 98, I can remember 3 padres moments:

1: The play in game in 2007
2: 2010 NL west collapse
3: bartolo home run

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
ownership has been doing that style of teardown for the last decade or so, man. they're just not building anything; they have put almost nothing into the team. their front office makes poor personnel decisions including bad trades, overpaying singles hitters for "leadership" and not taking advantage of what they have to build talent.

the astros hired luhnow, the cubs epstein and his people...and there was a plan. "look, the team is shit. the farm is shit because we spent years trying to compete. i can get it back but it's going to be tough." there's a plan and everything. blueprints and all that shit.

the padres are building one of those shit huts with their own shit. maybe that's what's taking so long.

MikeCubs

May 30, 2018
ownership has been doing that style of teardown for the last decade or so, man. they're just not building anything; they have put almost nothing into the team. their front office makes poor personnel decisions including bad trades, overpaying singles hitters for "leadership" and not taking advantage of what they have to build talent.

the astros hired luhnow, the cubs epstein and his people...and there was a plan. "look, the team is ****. the farm is **** because we spent years trying to compete. i can get it back but it's going to be tough." there's a plan and everything. blueprints and all that ****.

the padres are building one of those **** huts with their own ****. maybe that's what's taking so long.

No they haven't. They went for it in 2015 with vets and it failed. Once it failed they started the current plan which is a carbon copy of the Cubs/Astros plan. They put in over $60M in international money. It's taking the same amount of time it took the Cubs/Astros to build. The Padres won't contend until 2020-2022

This is from yesterday.

Prospect Points

100 assigned for the No. 1 prospect, 99 for No. 2, etc. Here are the teams' Prospect Points.
TEAM#PP
Padres10574
Braves8429
White Sox6397
Rays6358
Astros6307
Reds4298
Blue Jays5254
Twins3221
A's3204
Nationals3199
Dodgers4194
Tigers3156
Pirates4156
Phillies3140
Angels2125
Mariners3113
Cardinals2108
Rockies297
Indians294
Mets293
Giants288
D-backs387
Brewers181
Yankees279
Orioles378
Royals147
Rangers341
Red Sox122
Cubs28
Marlins12
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Snip-
This year's Top 100 list is the first since 2015 to feature at least one player from all 30 teams. Some clubs are better represented than others, of course, though none can match the San Diego Padres' Top 100 prospect power.
The Padres are in elite company this year with an MLB Pipeline-record 10 Top 100 prospects.

More

Padres land 10 on Top 100 Prospects list

Snip-
The Padres' farm system has been the toast of Minor League Baseball for nearly two years now. Believe it or not, that system might actually be getting better.
MLB Pipeline released its preseason ranking of the Top 100 prospects on Saturday night, and the list again skews heavily toward San Diego. The Padres became the first team in the history of the rankings to place 10 prospects on the preseason list.

So much for not building anything. Our fan base said the same thing for the Cubs during the rebuild. Theo was washed up and didn't know what he was doing anymore, the team is losing like always, haven't won in 100+ years, tanking don't work blah blah blah. Then the farm system graduated. All teams fans with a long streak of not winning will say the same thing especially during the worst years of the rebuild. I don't believe we will ever win, management don't know what they are doing, all this talk of a top farm system is made up by people who do this for a living outside our team, we are doomed forever.

Last edited:

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
*whistles* man, they have prospects on the preseason list. that means they'll all graduate and become exactly what they're projected to be. considering the padres basically need *consults list* one of everything, they're a cert.

MikeCubs

May 30, 2018
*whistles* man, they have prospects on the preseason list. that means they'll all graduate and become exactly what they're projected to be. considering the padres basically need *consults list* one of everything, they're a cert.

You should be whistling given how the modern game works. Prospects=gold. That's the whole point of the modern post steroid game. 30+ year old free agents=disaster in most cases. That's why teams operate the way they do these days and why there is going to be an ugly long strike.

No they won't all pan out but with that depth you don't need them all to be what you expect. All the Cubs prospects didn't pan out(see Jorge Soler and Addison Russell with his off field stuff and crappy last 2 years). During the Cubs/Astros rebuild they needed everything too. They were both stripped down to nothing.

At spots where guys don't pan out you can trade for a second tier veteran(cubs/Dexter Fowler) or sign a second tier free agent. Given the way free agency goes now days you can get a non star at your price on a short term cheap deal at a spot somebody does flame out(center if they wrecked Margot or catcher if Mejia can't hand it defensively).

With prospects like this you can also make trades. Let's say Mejia can't handle catcher defensively but can really hit. Maybe you package him with some pitching prospects for J.T. Realmuto. The Marlins put him at 1st. Maybe you trade some pitching prospects for a 3rd base prospect if you don't get Machado. Tons of options like this.

Last edited:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Sounds like we may see a few more teams do this. I guess the MLB is switching from Majestic to Nike in 2020?

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
i'm well aware of how the modern game works, guy.

the clear difference between you and i is that i don't think the padres ownership and front office are capable of building a winning team even with what they've already assembled. first of all, i don't see a scenario in which the dodgers fail to win the division for the foreseeable future, not only with the talent they have already but what's coming as well as their front office's ability to build a team that makes sense. second of all, i don't think aj preller is the person who is capable of retaining quality talent and bringing in talent to sustain said talent. third of all, i don't think when the chips are down that the padres ownership is going to allow payroll to increase in order to build a winner.

at best, i think they'll climb to be the away team in the wildcard game and be sacrificed to one of the much better teams in the national league.

MikeCubs

May 30, 2018
i'm well aware of how the modern game works, guy.

the clear difference between you and i is that i don't think the padres ownership and front office are capable of building a winning team even with what they've already assembled. first of all, i don't see a scenario in which the dodgers fail to win the division for the foreseeable future, not only with the talent they have already but what's coming as well as their front office's ability to build a team that makes sense. second of all, i don't think aj preller is the person who is capable of retaining quality talent and bringing in talent to sustain said talent. third of all, i don't think when the chips are down that the padres ownership is going to allow payroll to increase in order to build a winner.

at best, i think they'll climb to be the away team in the wildcard game and be sacrificed to one of the much better teams in the national league.

I'll buy a lot of this.

I agree on the Dodgers, they will be tough because they do have a good front office and a good system. One chink in the Dodgers armor is Kershaw and Jensen are getting older. When the Padres window opens they could really be on the decline. Arizona and San Francisco are going into major rebuilds, the Rockies are the Rockies and about to lose Arenado it seems.

I don't think retaining talent is that much of a worry given that you can have players for 7 years as long as you are smart enough not to rush guys. The biggest question for the Padres is did Preller learn anything at all from rushing Margot?? Now he's saying Tatis can win an opening day job. If he's serious they could lose him at 26 years old to free agency or outright wreck him. If Urias is on the opening day roster same thing.

As far as the ownership I don't think they are great but they did retain Myers, gave the money for Hosmer(though it was a stupid move). They say they will spend to supplement the coming core of young players. I think at worst they will give enough money to get second tier guys to fill holes like signing a Moustaukas type fill the 3rd base black hole, middle relievers etc.... Machado or Arenado next year would be godsends who would really put them over the top. I don't think ownership will make or break this though. The Royals made 2 world series and won one title under David Glass.

Time will tell how this goes. The foundation is absolutely there. Whatever happens you have to admit the Padres did put themselves in a spot they've never been in before. They are in position to be a long term winner IF they don't totally screw this up.

If they do bleep this up they deserve an ESPN type 30 for 30 special made about them and how they didn't win with a farm system that blew everyone away ala how the Orlando Magic had Shaq/Penny Hardaway and never won a title.

Last edited:

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
I always liked their pinstriped brown uniforms for some reason. Seemed to go with Jack Murphy Stadium. I'm glad they're going back. Teams are realizing there are reasons why fans love retro uniforms.

And a good farm system is no guarantee of success, ask the Nationals who had one of the most loaded systems and sets of young talent for years, and we're still waiting to see a single playoff series win from them.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
They learned from 2015 on how getting a bunch of big name overrated players is not how to build a team. In the Padres history they've always had a crap farm system until now.

We had some optimism earlier in the decade: Law: Ranking the farm systems

But even then I was a little skeptical when the consensus seemed to be that there weren't any bluechips but a lot of guys who were solid across the board. Most guys stunk, or were traded too early (coughRizzocough), or were sidelined due to injury (Luebke).

most mediocre franchise of the last 2 decades. Since 98, I can remember 3 padres moments:

1: The play in game in 2007
2: 2010 NL west collapse
3: bartolo home run

Rough times with ownership. Make the World Series in 1998 and the GM is told to burn it down. Had some decent clubs in the mid-2000s, but owner goes through a divorce which hamstrung the team in the late 2000s. Had a false start on the sale to the next owner, then the eventual owners got rid of the management that had been put in place. Unforced errors like saving some signing bonus to draft Matt Bush over Jered Weaver in 2004.

But hopefully this current ownership/management is on the same page. While the current on field product hasn't been great (by design), they have at least been spending a lot of money on international prospects which hopefully will begin to start paying off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->