Goalies: Pad size

Coach Craig

Passion for coaching
Jan 13, 2010
What are your suggestions for goalie pads. Got a 14 year old goalie, 5'8". Plays a hybrid/Butterfly sort of style. Typically has worn pads that aren't "ball knockers" as the goalie coaches say, so pads are low on thigh.

Checked out a video on measuring and it says ankle bone to mid knee and then knee to mid thigh. Then you add skate size, which has me kind of baffled as to why.

Never played goal and do not profess to have a clue what I am doing, which is why I seek out a good goalie coach with every team I get involved with.

Also, break, double break, no break -- which is the best for style of play?

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
At 5'8" I'd go with either a 33" or 34" base, then add 1" (for 34") or 2" (for 33" on to the thigh to help close the five hole. Best thing you can do, though, is go into a store and try them on.. even if you don't make a purchase, size it with his full gear on. And, granted, at some larger heights there will be a bit of knocking or overlap, but this is expected and as the pads break in and he gets his strapping down it'll be fine.

As for breaks, don't go with no break.. way too stiff, and every amateur goalie I know has hated it after trying it. Personally I like single break, as it closes my five hole nicely, as double break was too flexible for my style of play and I've seen a couple instances of goalies with double breaks have a puck squeak through. But, honestly, it's all personal preference.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
It's all personal preference. I'm about that height and I use 32+2 with a double break because I like my pads a bit smaller and more flexible because of my style of play.

It's all about comfort level. I felt like the one break pads kept me to constrained and didn't let me make the unconventional saves my style results in.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Raw height isn't a good way to go about it, and neither is that convoluted "measure to center of knee, then mid thigh, then add the length of your neck minus the length of your big toe plus half your skate minus your birthday divided by the population of your city" formula.

A much easier way to do it is the ATK measurement, which stands for "ankle-to-knee." It provides for a better, more accurate measurement and provides a single measurement for everyone to use with less subjectivity of where to start and end the measurements. Also take into account the fact that not all pads are measured the same. For example, I have 36" Bauers, in Reebok I would need no bigger than 34" and maybe even 33." And to have a reference with which to use the ATK measurement, go through this thread: http://goaliestore.com/board/forum/...um/56131-pad-size-atk-database-project/page55 . The first post outlines how to make the ATK measurement. There's a lot of good information in there. There's still some variance in how exactly people measure themselves, but for the most part that thread is a great reference.

And as far as what kind of pad, that forum has a lot of good information on the subject. Other than that, nothing beats going into a pro shop and trying stuff on, if you can.

forbs02

Blergh
Jun 17, 2008
Have them go to the store and try stuff on. Be sure to bring pants and skates. Work with the salesman. Most shops will have knowledgeable people that can help get the proper fit for pads.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->