NFL: Packers fired Mike McCarthy

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
I agree with those that say the next HC needs to be offensively minded... in the new NFL. Not running 10 yr old offense. Funny, MM said they revamped the entire offense in the offseason. I sure didn't see it. Thought he deserved the respect to finish out the year. On the other hand, I like the message sent since the Gut hire, that the organization needs to adapt.

I'm sure inquiries will be made for McDaniels. I don't care about Denver so many years ago, or about the Colts last year. The guy knows offense as well as what a winning organization looks like. Last thing I want to see is a hire "in the family." Time for the family to bring an in-law in.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
No real reason to fire him now with only 4 games left

He did win SB for your team and IMO this should have waited till season was over

He's also now wasted 6 (would be 7 but he was injured last year) seasons of Rodgers' prime. You don't waste the prime of an all time great and expect the team to wait to do the inevitable.

Sep 19, 2008
Schefter's twitter yesterday night acted all indignant that a SB winning coach had been fired (only one had been fired before) but the way McCarthy lost the team as well as the slide, a firing was warranted. Yet you got this sense on social media that it was outrageous to fire him and he should have been given more time or at least allowed to coach until the end of the season. No, the team is struggling this year and has been so for some time now. See ya.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
scapegoating because no one wants to admit that for all the spectacular plays Rodgers can make, he is a very inconsistent QB and not good coming from behind or in close games.

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
scapegoating because no one wants to admit that for all the spectacular plays Rodgers can make, he is a very inconsistent QB and not good coming from behind or in close games.
I don't agree with that. Yes, he can be inconsistent. But to say he isn't good coming from behind is unfair. To be honest, the defense throughout his career has let him down. Had a top 15 D been placed around him, there'd be at least another SB appearance. Shoot, the Seattle NFC Champ game alone had nothing to do with him. Giants? Defense.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
lol @ using the SB he won 8 years ago as an excuse that they should have kept him on

100% BS. if its time to let a coach go you let him go. just because the guy won a title almost a decade ago doesn't mean you have to "show respect" by keeping him on for the rest of the year. i bet he'd have rather been fired yesterday than coach the rest of the season as a lame duck coach

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
No real reason to fire him now with only 4 games left

He did win SB for your team and IMO this should have waited till season was over

Lets potential coaches know the Packers are looking for a new coach. Let's other teams know McCarthy is available. Saves both sides the indignity of being asked about it every day and having to pretend that everything is fine. Best for all involved.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Removing Thompson and now MM is a good start but I don't think there will be immediate results within the next few seasons. They are going to need to do some solid rebuilding to make this a better team (Off. and Def.).

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
lol @ using the SB he won 8 years ago as an excuse that they should have kept him on

100% BS. if its time to let a coach go you let him go. just because the guy won a title almost a decade ago doesn't mean you have to "show respect" by keeping him on for the rest of the year. i bet he'd have rather been fired yesterday than coach the rest of the season as a lame duck coach

Exactly. I don't get everyone defending his honor as if this is a bad thing for him. He can start having conversations with teams and GMs today. That's a good thing for him, in terms of finding his next gig.

Reactions: Voight

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Removing Thompson and now MM is a good start but I don't think there will be immediate results within the next few seasons. They are going to need to do some solid rebuilding to make this a better team (Off. and Def.).

Already have one of the best QB's, RB's, WR's and OT's in the league. The makings of a good offense are already there, just need a completely new playbook and hopefully some rejuvenated players running it.

Defense has actually been decent considering they're getting nothing from Matthews and Perry. Alexander looks like a stud, King can play when he's not hurt (which is far too often) and we have two great defensive linemen. Need some better linebackers and safeties but the team is close and with two 1st round picks, including one currently in the top 10, there's a chance to get some really good prospects.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
the way he coached this team...if they had a QB that was above-average rather than all-world, this would have been another in a long line of seasons where the Packers finish under .500

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I don't agree with that. Yes, he can be inconsistent. But to say he isn't good coming from behind is unfair. To be honest, the defense throughout his career has let him down. Had a top 15 D been placed around him, there'd be at least another SB appearance. Shoot, the Seattle NFC Champ game alone had nothing to do with him. Giants? Defense.
Not the right thread for it but he is 0-37 when trailing by at least a point in the 4th quarter to a team with a winning record...

Great QB, all of the tools, slightly overrated. Incredible QB, not a top 5/top 10 all timer.

Reactions: fin8

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

Packers defense rankings (yardage, then points). Average, not terrible for the most part. Only three marks lower than 25. Drew Brees dreams of having defenses like that. Hell, the Patriots have 5 sub-25 marks over the same time period.

2018: 13/17
2017: 26/22
2016: 21/22
2015: 12/15
2014: 13/15
2013: 24/25
2012: 11/11
2011: 19/32
2010: 2/5
2009: 7/2
2008: 22/20

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Not the right thread for it but he is 0-37 when trailing by at least a point in the 4th quarter to a team with a winning record...

Great QB, all of the tools, slightly overrated. Incredible QB, not a top 5/top 10 all timer.

Probably the most physically talented QB of all time. For some reason, all this time people have been thinking that translates to GOAT status. But when you start looking at his career, it doesn't stack up to the other QBs that people generally talk about in top 10 conversations.

Reactions: m9 and Bocephus86

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I am hoping the new management team Will actually spend $$$$ in free agency unlike Thompson. yes some contracts can end up being really bad but Rodgers is still in his prime and playing great, now is the time to win.

McCarthy should have been fired a long time ago but whatever, its finally done.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Probably the most physically talented QB of all time. For some reason, all this time people have been thinking that translates to GOAT status. But when you start looking at his career, it doesn't stack up to the other QBs that people generally talk about in top 10 conversations.

Uh what? He's been a starter for 10 years now and his numbers absolutely justify why he's considered as such. His career isn't close to over. He has an absurd career TD/INT ratio and is well above .500 in the all important "QB winz" category that the media loves.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Is Rodgers playing great? I guess on paper his TD/INT ratio looks good and his passer rating is solid. But 61% completions is kind of embarrassing and I've watched 3 games of his now (@Lions, @Vikings, @Seahawks) where he continually made bad decisions and took bad sacks that took his team out of games they had a chance to win. (talking about just this current season)

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Uh what? He's been a starter for 10 years now and his numbers absolutely justify why he's considered as such. His career isn't close to over. He has an absurd career TD/INT ratio and is well above .500 in the all important "QB winz" category that the media loves.

His efficiency numbers are great, his win percentage is good. But he doesn't have anywhere near the volume stats of a Brady, Brees or Manning and it's not like he's some young guy either. He's 35, and it's an old 35. I don't know if there's any other QB in the league that's taken the beating he has over the last 10 years and it's starting to show IMO.

Not saying he's done, but he needs to get things turned around starting next season. They're 4-10-1 in their last 15 with him as starter. That's pretty bad.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Everyone talks about the NFC-CG when they kicked those FG's and played not to lose at Seattle.

I think one of the biggest mistakes McCarthy ever made was the Arizona playoff game when they failed to go for 2 after Janis made those 2 miracle catches and could have gotten the win outright.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Not that I want it to happen, but I think Pete Carmichael would be a good choice for Packers next coach. He would need a strong DC to take care of the other side of the ball, but he's an innovator of offensive design, a pretty good playcaller and he's great at scheming o-line and halftime adjustments.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I checked this and it's wrong.
My bad, more than 1 point. Unless you've found something to prove it wrong? I was incredibly surprised, so I'd love to know what you found.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story...n-rodgers-clutch-nfc-championship-stat-012217

Apparently he has two more this year.

Edit: And as of that article, he'd only come back against teams with winning records twice, when trailing by 1 point at the start of the 4th. So certainly worse than 2-35 at the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->