Package 1: Viktor Stålberg+ vs Package 2: Kris Versteeg+ vs Package 3: Stuart Percy+

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't think Stalberg is on this team. Or if he is then like you said, it is the 4th line.

HE has 11pts playing in the top 6 on Chicago.

How exactly is Stalberg capable of playing in a top 6 role in Chicago, (who are the best team in the league), yet the belief is he would only be a 4th liner on the Leafs? The only reason Stalberg doesn't have more points is because he doesn't get PP TOI/g, due to Chicago's talent level.

Your theory implies that the Leafs have better forwards than Chicago, because Stalberg would play less as he would appear lower on the Leafs depth chart than he does in Chicago.

In order for Toronto to come anywhere close to balancing out this trade is if Percy and Levio are capable NHLers outperforming Tlusty and Stalberg (among the cost to obtain them). Seems like a tall order based on the bar their competition is establishing.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
For everyone saying that Stalberg plays top six in Chicago, you're wrong. He played there last year (and set career highs) but this year, he is on the 3rd line.

Saad - Toews - Hossa
Sharp - Bolland - Kane
Stalberg - Shaw - Bickell
Mayers - Kruger - Frolik

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
Why is this being discussed? You can't change history, you have to accept what you have.

Versteeg never fit in here. And Sweatt chose not to come here.

As for Stalberg, he was just another young speedy winger, who lacked the physical elements we needed. He's blossomed in Chicago because of the team depth they have, and the types of Centers he's playing with(which Toronto doesn't have).

Dido and Paradis won't be much as NHL players. Paradis probably won't ever be an NHL player.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Option 3 of the picks.

Stalberg is a 3rd liner who just gets to play with elite talents. I'd take Kulemin, Frattin and even Komarov and CMac all over him so he wouldn't be an upgrade.

Versteeg was a terrible fit. He has some very good attributes but just didn't work out for us. Lupul came in as his replacement so I'm happy we got rid of him and freed up cap space in the process.

The draft picks which turned into Percy/Leivo might not become anything but such is the nature of picks. We might not have got them right this time (only time will tell) but such is the nature of drafting after the first 5-10 picks and next time maybe we'll hit a homerun with picks we get if we trade CMac and Liles.

mikebel111*

Option 3 of the picks.

Stalberg is a 3rd liner who just gets to play with elite talents. I'd take Kulemin, Frattin and even Komarov and CMac all over him so he wouldn't be an upgrade.

Versteeg was a terrible fit. He has some very good attributes but just didn't work out for us. Lupul came in as his replacement so I'm happy we got rid of him and freed up cap space in the process.

The draft picks which turned into Percy/Leivo might not become anything but such is the nature of picks. We might not have got them right this time (only time will tell) but such is the nature of drafting after the first 5-10 picks and next time maybe we'll hit a homerun with picks we get if we trade CMac and Liles.

disagree with the bolded, percy and leivo will be good players, i am guessing u dont know them

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Stalberg wouldn't be getting minutes on this team right now. He's found a good spot in Chicago. A lot like Dupuis has in Pittsburgh.

Bozak and Stalberg were good friends and had chemistry together on the ice. The were even dubbed the Frat Pack.

We will never know how that might have panned out in Toronto as Bozak is better today than when he first arrived also.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Bozak and Stalberg were good friends and had chemistry together on the ice. The were even dubbed the Frat Pack.

We will never know how that might have panned out in Toronto as Bozak is better today than when he first arrived also.

If they kept Stalberg and Tlusty perhaps they would have addressed the 1st. line center role, rather than address a problem on wing they didn't have?

Let's hope they get 2 NHL players for the 2 NHL players they traded right now the 2 NHL players were traded for hope.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If they kept Stalberg and Tlusty perhaps they would have addressed the 1st. line center role, rather than address a problem on wing they didn't have?

Let's hope they get 2 NHL players for the 2 NHL players they traded right now the 2 NHL players were traded for hope.

Well for what its worth ..

The Hockey News - "Future Watch" ranked the Leafs prospect pool better when Stalberg and Tlusty (22nd overall) were a part of it, than they did recently (25th ranked) with Percy and Leivo amongst it.

Their prognostications for VS and JT seem to be proving out correctly, as both are NHL contributing regulars, so we'll have to wait and see what SP and JL are able to perform up to in the future.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
disagree with the bolded, percy and leivo will be good players, i am guessing u dont know them

Both are just okay prospects at this time.

With the failure rate of prospects being very high for every organization I'm not getting excited about either of them at this point. Just like I didn't get excited about guys like Earl, Stefanovich, Vorobiev or more recently Ashton/Domingo.

Prospects that fall below the 7.5 C range are really hit or miss but I'm glad we added two in Percy and Leivo to give us more prospects that could potentially be something down the road. It's all about quantity with prospects at that level then being very patient.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga

Can you or Mess add a poll please :)

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
I don't really know what Leivo's ceiling could be. In a very good way I mean.

Percy could become another Jake Gardiner, that's what he reminds me of.

If Im right on both counts, or even just one, package 3 is certainly nothing to scoff at.

And to be fair, Stalberg is playing on a hockey team that hasnt lost a 60 minute game of hockey halfway through the season. He looks good because, well, they all look good quite frankly, teams always look better when theyre winning

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Prospects that fall below the 7.5 C range are really hit or miss but I'm glad we added two in Percy and Leivo to give us more prospects that could potentially be something down the road. It's all about quantity with prospects at that level then being very patient.

7.5 C may also be considered hit or miss for some. Once Blacker made the jump to pro hockey we've seen his weaknesses more clearly and now have a struggling D-man who will take a longer time to develop.
I don't really know what Leivo's ceiling could be. In a very good way I mean.

Percy could become another Jake Gardiner, that's what he reminds me of.

If Im right on both counts, or even just one, package 3 is certainly nothing to scoff at.

And to be fair, Stalberg is playing on a hockey team that hasnt lost a 60 minute game of hockey halfway through the season. He looks good because, well, they all look good quite frankly, teams always look better when theyre winning

Percy is more of a safe, steady defenseman. I don't see him becoming a risky player with fluid skating like Gardiner, although his skating isn't bad. I think max potential he can be a Giordano or Vlasic.

As for Stalberg, he looked great last year too. 20-20 player and had pretty good chemistry with Toews in the short amount of time they played together. His speed would be a nice combination with Kadri, probably better than CMac at both ends of the ice too.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I'm not a big fan of having Stalberg in a top 6, nor am I a fan of him being in a bottom 6 role. IMO he's not offensively skilled enough to be in a top 6, and he's not physical enough, or doesn't bring enough intangibles to be in the bottom 6.

Very happy he's not in our top 6. Much prefer the wingers we currently have on our roster to him.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Versteeg or Percy/Leivo package is the most intriguing value wise assuming you forget our current depth. Would rather the Percy deal though just because I like the kid.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Wasting a 1st round pick on Jiří Tlustý is about the only thing I'll be losing sleep over with that player. At the point of the trade Phillipe Paradis >/= Tlustý. Tlustý had been given very high expectations (being a 13th overall pick and all), then thrown into the fire on a very poor Toronto Maple Leafs squad and wasn't able to replicate his junior and AHL scoring pedigree on the big club which made the trade for recent late 1st rounder Paradis seem like a good risk.

You have to remember the Carolina Hurricanes acquired Tlustý back in 2009. After playing as a bottom 6 forward and showing slight signs of life last season (17G-36pts), at age 24 he has finally hit his stride playing alongside two very talented players Alexander Semin and Eric Staal posting 10G-17pts in 21GP this season. After the whole "nude photo scandal" and his underwhelming performance on the Leafs, there is no way we could have exhibited the same level of patience that the Hurricanes did with developing Tlustý with little to no expectations.

That's right. Right now it's as if we had Jiri and Victor on our roster and owned the rights to Dido. Would you trade them to Philly for Percy and Leivo today? Tough call but I think that I would say yes.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York

So wait...
If they STILL didn't have a problem at wing maybe they wouldn't have addressed the problem at wing that they didn't have? Huh?

The got JVR because Burke had the opportunity to get a player like JVR regardless of position.

Tlusti may or may not have found chemistry with a line here like he has down in Car and I think that what we are seeing in Stalberg is what Chi is going to get out of him. We have roster players in our top nine that ave filled those roles. Ok, maybe Tsusty could be that sixth winger right now and maybe Stalberg could be our ninth but aren't these the exact type of players that we want to trade away to get better?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad