Confirmed with Link: Pacioretty Traded to Vegas for Tomas Tatar, Nick Suzuki, 2019 2nd Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Personally I wouldn't characterize it as a desperate move. Signing a UFA who should help the team is a no brainer unless you have cap issues.

I prefer to take athletes at their word until there's good reason not to. Radulov always loved Montreal starting back in his Junior days.

Radulov compromised on the term, because he believed if he played to his abilities, Bergevin would certainly reward him on the next deal. Obviously that never happened.

I don't remember if anybody else remembers but I was very high on Radulov. I would of easily gave him a 3 year deal at $5M or possibly a bit more from the get go. Not sure what AAV the Wings were offering in their 2 year team.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
As far as I was concerned, Radulov was an asset to be traded away since the trading away of Subban and the imminent decline of guys like Pleks meant that our window was shut and all assets must be viewed through the lens of obtaining futures. But we could have kept him for leadership and some excitement even those intangibles are less useful than real picks or prospects.

Getting absolutely nothing either way for Radulov was horrendously bad asset management.

If we re-signed him, he would be a clear leader in the room and one whose play would have set an example for young guys to strive for on the ice and in preparation during the offseason.

Horse shit. How do you explain such a move to your fan base, leaders (Price, Weber, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Galchenyuk) when you’re leading your division?

« Oh sorry boys but we decided to move Radulov because we’re not confident you guys can pull it off. However, trust me, that first round pick will pay off in 4-5 years »

How about the fans? Bergevin would have been publicly crucified if he traded Radulov at the TDL. It’s easier to say when it’s all said and done but Bergevin did the right move there.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Horse ****. How do you explain such a move to your fan base, leaders (Price, Weber, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Galchenyuk) when you’re leading your division?

« Oh sorry boys but we decided to move Radulov because we’re not confident you guys can pull it off. However, trust me, that first round pick will pay off in 4-5 years »

How about the fans? Bergevin would have been publicly crucified if he traded Radulov at the TDL. It’s easier to say when it’s all said and done but Bergevin did the right move there.
Dallas led the league halfway through one season before. They finished out of the playoffs or 8th seed, I can't remember. He can say that the core is older, unproven, and in the uncertainty of the season, not built for the long haul. The Habs have control over the media, so there is no to be worried about accountability to them.

If fans in Montreal are that dumb and shortsighted, then they deserve to suffer. Just like fans anywhere else. Eras end and the cornerstones fade away. The Seahawks were renowned for the Legion of Boom, right? Well that defense is literally history with Earl Thomas's broken leg; no one from that defense in on the Seahawks anymore.

Chicago and L.A were contenders, right? Well, they're not contending for anything serious now, their mainstays are older and showing signs of decline.

Like most years, it will be quickly forgotten. The only things memorable in sports are especially good or especially bad seasons.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Horse ****. How do you explain such a move to your fan base, leaders (Price, Weber, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Galchenyuk) when you’re leading your division?

The point is that if Bergevin wasn't going to re-sign him, he needed to find a way to get assets. This was a first line player having a great season.

If Bergevin was trying to re-sign Radulov, he gave absolutely the worst effort I've ever seen.

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad