Confirmed with Link: Pacioretty Traded to Vegas for Tomas Tatar, Nick Suzuki, 2019 2nd Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
It always happens. However, we get the impression through what Bergevin himself said, and what sources were saying, that Radulov wanted an absurd contract at first and wasn't even willing to budge. Bergevin could have put in his "take it or leave it" offer to Radulov before the deadline.

Sure. But when does a "take it or leave it" offer work with a UFA? It's not a negotiation at that point. It's a statement of total disinterest.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Sure. But when does a "take it or leave it" offer work with a UFA? It's not a negotiation at that point. It's a statement of total disinterest.
Well I mean if the UFA isn't even willing to listen for a negotiation(like what we are assuming happened with Radulov) then I don't see why not. It shows more that the player doesn't care about the team and just wants his big pay raise.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Well I mean if the UFA isn't even willing to listen for a negotiation(like what we are assuming happened with Radulov) then I don't see why not. It shows more that the player doesn't care about the team and just wants his big pay raise.

I'm not sure how you can say that when Radulov did in fact actually compromise. Clearly Bergevin's offer, or demeanor or both were somewhat lacking. Radulov took less originally to play in Montreal when he came back.

It was always his first choice. Obviously it's too bad how it played out.

Reactions: Runner77

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I'm not sure how you can say that when Radulov did in fact actually compromise. Clearly Bergevin's offer, or demeanor or both were somewhat lacking. Radulov took less originally to play in Montreal when he came back.

Radulovs wife was the reason he wanted to come to Montreal... then they broke up...

But again, why the heck are you talking about Radulov???

Reactions: Acadien86

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I am not aware of this, other GMs offered him more money than MB did?

It was either term or money. Don't recall. Likely term. He believed he could play well and earn an increase in both on a second contract. That happened. Just not in Montreal.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
It was either term or money. Don't recall. Likely term. He believed he could play well and earn an increase in both on a second contract. That happened. Just not in Montreal.

In his situation, I think it was best for him to take a 1 year deal. Not a whole lot of team would have take a chance and lock him mid-long term for a contract around 6M. Even thought it would have been a hell of signing back then. Understandable that he would refused an upgrade on the term.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
In his situation, I think it was best for him to take a 1 year deal. Not a whole lot of team would have take a chance and lock him mid-long term for a contract around 6M. Even thought it would have been a hell of signing back then. Understandable that he would refused an upgrade on the term.

That's why he accepted a one year deal. He correctly believed he'd play well enough to earn term and a raise. Bergevin just wasn't the one who gave them to him.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
St.Louis traded Shattenkirk and Stastny despite being in a playoff spot. If bergevin sees that neither Markov or Radulov are willing to negotiate to his standards then he needs to get assets for them.
When they traded Statsny, they were out of the playoffs and had lost 6 in a row or something to that effect....it’s not even the same man.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

I dont think the contract he got in Dallas would have been the same one here

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
UFA’s leaving their teams in July is the norm....teams trading their best players while in first isn’t

I have 100 examples for your 1

They'll leave for sure if you're not committed to actually sign them. Radulov was never getting an NTC so he should have been signed and moved later the following season. The problem is two-fold. Not signing him, a player that was dearly needed, which also caused missing the opportunity to get assets in return.

There was no positive for Montreal at all from that debacle. Bergevin misplayed it completely.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
That's why he accepted a one year deal. He correctly believed he'd play well enough to earn term and a raise. Bergevin just wasn't the one who gave them to him.

I don't think Radulov wanted to return. I have my reason and I've mentionned them a few times before, but at this point it's useless to re-debate this. It's not like we wasted any asset to have him come here for a year, I don't think it's a big deal honestly.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't think Radulov wanted to return. I have my reason and I've mentionned them a few times before, but at this point it's useless to re-debate this. It's not like we wasted any asset to have him come here for a year, I don't think it's a big deal honestly.

There was an opportunity cost. He was a free asset, even if we had paid more to keep him. The money was available, the Habs had and continue to have cap room since then and Bergevin overplayed his hand. The player was in the Habs's backyard already -- it's usually easier to retain an asset on an expiring contract. The whole thing was only about money -- throw more dollars at the guy and he would have signed here.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
As far as I was concerned, Radulov was an asset to be traded away since the trading away of Subban and the imminent decline of guys like Pleks meant that our window was shut and all assets must be viewed through the lens of obtaining futures. But we could have kept him for leadership and some excitement even those intangibles are less useful than real picks or prospects.

Getting absolutely nothing either way for Radulov was horrendously bad asset management.

If we re-signed him, he would be a clear leader in the room and one whose play would have set an example for young guys to strive for on the ice and in preparation during the offseason.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Not sure about the facts in this.... Took less to play for the Habs? How so? From what I remember, the Habs gave him the biggest one year deal. Where is your factual information we can review?

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Not sure about the facts in this.... Took less to play for the Habs? How so? From what I remember, the Habs gave him the biggest one year deal. Where is your factual information we can review?

Term. Another team offered him 2 years according to reports at that time.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Term. Another team offered him 2 years according to reports at that time.

That I remember as a true rumor. But I don't consider Radulov compromising by signing with the Habs who gave him a very high one year deal. Remember the comments about this signing back when? It was not generally perceived as a good move by Bergevin.

Not trying to give you a hard time but I don't consider Radulov compromising and signing a very high 1 year deal with the Habs.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
There was an opportunity cost. He was a free asset, even if we had paid more to keep him. The money was available, the Habs had and continue to have cap room since then and Bergevin overplayed his hand. The player was in the Habs's backyard already -- it's usually easier to retain an asset on an expiring contract. The whole thing was only about money -- throw more dollars at the guy and he would have signed here.

If we would have overpaid Radulov, we couldn't have signed Markov. In this scenario, are we contenders? Answer is no, we were not gonna be contender by not signing one of Radulov and Markov. Major changes needed to be done as soon as Radulov signed elsewhere. Unless someone like being a mid-pack 1st round playoff team, i could see how that person would want MB to overpay for Radulov.. Anyways, we're just beating a dead horse at this point. I don't know about you but I'm looking forward for the tanking since that day.

Reactions: habsfan92

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
That I remember as a true rumor. But I don't consider Radulov compromising by signing with the Habs who gave him a very high one year deal. Remember the comments about this signing back when? It was not generally perceived as a good move by Bergevin.

Not trying to give you a hard time but I don't consider Radulov compromising and signing a very high 1 year deal with the Habs.

If he wanted x-money and y-term he only got one. He went to the city he wanted to play in.

I'm not sure what the disagreements are about. These negotiations are usually spilled by sports media, but we really have little idea as to their veracity or accuracy.

What we know is that Radulov wanted to play in Montreal. He said so, and he did. I believe he wanted to re-sign as well.

Comments from posters at the time are the same as comments from posters at the last draft. A curiosity and a source of humour a few months later.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If he wanted x-money and y-term he only got one. He went to the city he wanted to play in.

I'm not sure what the disagreements are about. These negotiations are usually spilled by sports media, but we really have little idea as to their veracity or accuracy.

What we know is that Radulov wanted to play in Montreal. He said so, and he did. I believe he wanted to re-sign as well.

Comments from posters at the time are the same as comments from posters at the last draft. A curiosity and a source of humour a few months later.

The disagreement is about Radulov compromising and signing with the Habs. There was no compromise in that one year large salary. Many fans and media from across the league (including the Bergevin haters) thought that was a desperate move by Bergevin, not Radulov.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The disagreement is about Radulov compromising and signing with the Habs. There was no compromise in that one year large salary. Many fans and media from across the league (including the Bergevin haters) thought that was a desperate move by Bergevin, not Radulov.

Personally I wouldn't characterize it as a desperate move. Signing a UFA who should help the team is a no brainer unless you have cap issues.

I prefer to take athletes at their word until there's good reason not to. Radulov always loved Montreal starting back in his Junior days.

Radulov compromised on the term, because he believed if he played to his abilities, Bergevin would certainly reward him on the next deal. Obviously that never happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->