Proposal: Pacioretty to Carolina

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I value Roy at a late 1st / early 2nd. Three 1sts for Pacioretty is not a price I'm paying. Not even close. Maybe Bean plus a small add.

Canes aren't contending so not sure why they are targeting a 1.5 year rental. His low Cap is meaningless to them.

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
canes say a hard no. Roy is one of our best forward prospects, bean is our top defensive prospect and a first. we don't need another LW as we have future all star in aho and top 20 lw in Skinner. We need a star center maybe a rw and a goalie. someone who needs to get out is Derek Ryan. always just seems to get lucky and doesn't really play well. if we get that #1 c we can move him out keep kruger put rask on the third line Staal on the 2nd line and have that glorious #1 center at #1 center with Aho and Tuevo.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I like Patches, but as mentioned, he's more of the same. Unless it's for something like Rask + B prospect, which makes no sense for MTL, hard pass.

DCarriere

Mar 15, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
I value Roy at a late 1st / early 2nd. Three 1sts for Pacioretty is not a price I'm paying. Not even close. Maybe Bean plus a small add.

Canes aren't contending so not sure why they are targeting a 1.5 year rental. His low Cap is meaningless to them.

How does a player like Lucic get three 1sts a few years ago then? I value Pacioretty much more than what Lucic was valued at the time.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Lucic was a unique player (huge physical/power forward) with a unique skill set not too far removed from winning the Stanley Cup. He's the type of player GM's overpay for.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Pacioretty has that type of value. I think the issue is willingness to pay.

LA was a year removed from a Stanley Cup and thought Lucic could put them over the top.

Carolina is not in the same situation. Pacioretty perhaps gets Carolina to the playoffs, but may not be the right move for the team long-term because of current contract term or age relative to future contract term and cost, and positional balance. The long-term horizon is more important than the short-term one at this point.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I wouldn't trade Pacioretty for that return..I'm not saying the value is horrible, just that I don't think the two teams are very good trading partners. If i'm trading Pacioretty, there has to be a young center with potential coming back.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
How does a player like Lucic get three 1sts a few years ago then? I value Pacioretty much more than what Lucic was valued at the time.

Lucic was traded to a team that had recently won a Cup and was looking to extend their window.

That is the polar opposite of the Canes current position.

Reactions: Unsustainable

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I'm a pacioretty fan but 3 1st for him even late ones is insane. He doesn't drive offense. He's a finisher he doesn't ignite or create new offense

On Carolina he'd improve efficiency in the existing offense, they need to create more new offense

Last edited:

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah but like i said, there are none on the market. But Carolina needs offense and Mtl needs a potential top 4 lhd to play with Weber.

Good GMs wait for the market to open up, instead of forcing a trade and spending your best assets while not even addressing the most pressing organizational need.

Sound familiar? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad