Friedman: Pacioretty in a "holding pattern?"

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Habs fan here - who wants Pacioretty traded.

I can't really blame him though. He's been talked about the past few years as one of the best contracts in the league. All that means is that he left a LOT of money on the table, for many years. And he likely wants to try and ensure he now gets a very good contract, to make up for it. Being put under the gun and giving him only a few minutes/hours to agree on an extension with a team - especially if value/term isn't close to what he wants - well just say no.

I think he's earned the right to negotiate a fair contract.

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
Habs fan here - who wants Pacioretty traded.

I can't really blame him though. He's been talked about the past few years as one of the best contracts in the league. All that means is that he left a LOT of money on the table, for many years. And he likely wants to try and ensure he now gets a very good contract, to make up for it. Being put under the gun and giving him only a few minutes/hours to agree on an extension with a team - especially if value/term isn't close to what he wants - well just say no.

I think he's earned the right to negotiate a fair contract.
I agree, he was underpaid for his production on his last contract and doesn't want to be in that situation again. We'll see what happens with free agents this year, but my money is on him being with the Habs to start the season and potentially being traded at the deadline.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

8 x8?! Lmao good luck with that!

yeah 8x8 seems really high

flip side is - i think he can definitely do better than 6x6. I could see him getting 7 or 7.5M$ easy - maybe not for 8 years though, but at least 6-7.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Man, Friedman uses the same bullshit lingo in every article/rumour "______ in a holding pattern" "_____ is stealth team to get _____"

What is with this stupid jargon all of a sudden, reeks of a guy who has no real information.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Sigh...

This tells me he really doesn't want to be traded and is just making things difficult. **** off, Max.

I in no way would want my team to pay Patches or Kane 7, but in a world where E.Kane gets 7 by 7 you can't blame Pacioretty for turning down 6x6. He doesn't owe the Habs anything. They could flip him for a rental return anytime, why should he bear the cost of second team friendly deal and forego UFA leverage just so the Habs can get a better package?

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Saekk

Jul 25, 2017
I think people crapping on Friedman for his THOUGHTS posted here as trade rumours, should check if their IQ is higher than their shoesize.

Honestly doubt that.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Only way Pacioretty gets 8m is if he takes a short term deal, and even then it’s extremely pushing it.
Max’s ego is baffling. He’s never broken the 40 goal mark, but having Therrien and Bergevin blowing smoke up his butt all these years has apparently inflated his own self worth.
5yrs at 7m per is what I see him eventually getting.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
If he's going to get anything over $7M, it's going to be on a 3 or 4 year contract. Nobody in their right mind would commit that much money and term for a forward exiting their prime.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
8x8? f*** off, Max, you playoff ghost.

The most I would give him is 7 on a 4-6 year term.

This is going to be so awkward if he returns to Montreal this season because we already wanted him out and I doubt even Bergevin has any interest in signing him to an 8x8. He is not worth that at all.

Reactions: strongcomp05

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
8x8? **** off, Max, you playoff ghost.

The most I would give him is 7 on a 4-6 year term.

This is going to be so awkward if he returns to Montreal this season because we already wanted him out and I doubt even Bergevin has any interest in signing him to an 8x8. He is not worth that at all.
And with all of that said, Montreal fans wanted Vilardi, JAD, Clague, and first round picks...

He isn't worth one of those players, let alone a combination of them. God, I wish some team not named the Kings would just trade for this guy already and end all of this nonsense. Him asking for 8x8 is seemingly gonna drag this out that much longer. Yay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad