Friedman: Pacioretty in a "holding pattern?"

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
“I think right now it’s in a bit of a holding pattern,” indicated Friedman during a Monday evening TV appearance on NHL Network. “I do think there was a deal being worked on between the L.A. Kings and Canadiens for Max Pacioretty. I think Pacioretty was not happy with a couple of things: No. 1 the extension, and No. 2 the fact it was kind of time-sensitive.
“Now, I wrote today that I thought it was before Round 2 that he was presented with a trade that he had to approve pretty quickly. Somebody else wrote to me this week and said they thought it was actually before the draft began. But it was sometime in the last few days. He made the agent switch.

“I think L.A., even though they went with Kovalchuk, I think they were prepared to try to add two scorers. So I do think there was a chance that this was still going to happen. I think it’s in limbo now. I think it probably gets revisited. I don’t know if L.A. can do it with the extension that Pacioretty wants, likely not.
“What I think this all means is that Montreal revisits Pacioretty on the market maybe after July 1. Maybe there’s a team that doesn’t get like a van Riemsdyk or someone that says, ‘Okay, we’re back in on Pacioretty.’
“I don’t think Pacioretty had any issue with playing in L.A.. As a matter of fact, I think he wanted to do it. I just think the problem was he wasn’t happy with the extension and how quickly it was proposed to him.”

Note: Friedman has a ton of "I think" in his vocabulary

Friedman | Pacioretty trade in holding pattern

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I do not get all hype around patches--he is good but he does not walk on water and that think there something being lost in translation in his value and how much his next contract will be

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Patches should wait and see what JVR/Neal/Perron get on deals before he accepts anything.

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
He has a big head guys, its only normal that he thinks a lot more then the average person.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Friedman says “I think” in place of “I’m guessing”.
The more I read from these so called insiders, Freidman, LeBrun, Dreger, etc..., the more I respect and prefer Bob McKenzie.

Reactions: OrioleWay

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
How much do you guys think Pacioretty would be worth if he hits the open market.

Evander Kane, a younger, but historically a far less productive player, got a 7-year, $7M deal. JVR may exceed that number.

My guess is that at minimum, the starting point may be $8M per year. Add in the fact that there will be teams out there desperate to add a potential 30-goal scoring winger (based on history), and he’ll probably get even more than that.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It makes sense.

Every team interested in MaxPac, would also be interested in JVR. (reports are JVR has spoken with 10 teams, if not more).

So it makes sense that both the Habs, and the teams interested, would see where JVR goes.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
How much do you guys think Pacioretty would be worth if he hits the open market.

Evander Kane, a younger, but historically a far less productive player, got a 7-year, $7M deal. JVR may exceed that number.

My guess is that at minimum, the starting point may be $8M per year. Add in the fact that there will be teams out there desperate to add a potential 30-goal scoring winger (based on history), and he’ll probably get even more than that.
But the past season didn’t help his value any, and could raise the question of possible decline.
It could be in the Habs and Pacioretty’s best interest to hold out until the TDL to make any moves. This would give Max time to show he hasn’t declined and can still be productive, thus increasing his value. The flip side to this is that if he can’t get scoring and producing again, waiting only lowers the possible return the Habs could get for him.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Who cares if he was unhappy about an extension? He has no trade clauses to stop him from being dealt anywhere.

But doesn't it hit you eventually that the team doesn't want you back and it's pretty clear?
I agree you have no trades and all and it's your decision to make that final call, but if my Boss wouldn't want me back and it's pretty clear I'd look for something else.
That time as come and it's been months now, Montreal does NOT want him back. Pack your bags and move along your career Max!

Jan 21, 2018
If you want to get drunk real quick, open up a Friedman article and take a sip after every time he says "I think".

HFBoards is ridiculous.

So many people complaining about Friedman's speculating yet every time he posts an article we get 31 new threads opened for each of his thoughts.

Are you guys that annoyed by him "thinking" out loud? If reporters only reported what they heard straight from the gm's, you would get a handful of tweets a year at most.

If it's really such a big deal then have a Friedman Rumor and Friedman Thinking tag. Or just don't post his thoughts as a new thread.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
But doesn't it hit you eventually that the team doesn't want you back and it's pretty clear?
I agree you have no trades and all and it's your decision to make that final call, but if my Boss wouldn't want me back and it's pretty clear I'd look for something else.
That time as come and it's been months now, Montreal does NOT want him back. Pack your bags and move along your career Max!

He's not blocking the trade with an NTC, he's just not signing an extension lower than he thinks he's worth. He owes Montreal nothing in terms of accepting an extension he doesn't want so that they can get a better return

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Who cares if he was unhappy about an extension? He has no trade clauses to stop him from being dealt anywhere.

You're misunderstanding.

Montreal offers - Pacioretty & gives LA ability to negotiate/agree with an extension on him before accepting trade

LA offers - assets XYZ (not sure if it was ever confirmed what assets/players were involved)

LA and Pacioretty couldn't reach an agreement in-time, so the deal was pulled.

Has nothing to do with a no trade clause

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
If you want to get drunk real quick, open up a Friedman article and take a sip after every time he says "I think".
People need to understand he talks about rumors and stuff happening behind the scenes. GM´s talk about trades, moves, contracts etc all the time, very rarely does anything happen. He lets us speculate and get some info of whats happening behind the scenes, not things that are going to happen, or 50% likely to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->