Speculation: Pacioretty extension with Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
My initial thought was the E. Kane deal, 7 x 7, but then I realized he just turned 27 and Patches will turn 30 in November, so maybe $7.5M for 6, or $8M+ for 5.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
It's obviously not a bad thing but considering he just came off a mediocre ES season (historically speaking he's been good tho), he's not good when he has the puck on the PP.. i just don't think he's the type of player you wanna be locking up for 7M+ long term.

snYfO97.png

I think a lot of people have a misconception of what 7 mil per gets you these days. His last regular season scares me a bit, but Montreal was laughably bad last year, and he still did decently enough to not have me write him off as 'dropped off'.

To each their own though. Like i said, id have taken Max at 5x7(or potentially slightly more AAV) over JVR any day of the week - but we also dont need a PP person here in Philly, so Max's inability to produce there isnt a concern for us. Id much rather have the stronger ES/PK player, personally.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
7 million x 5 years, anything more would be colossaly stupid, even more stupid than what they gave up for him. But lets expect an 8x8 because GM's are dumb.

Vegas has shown they won't go beyond 35. (Fleury being the lone exception). 5 by 7 sounds about right to me. That looks him up to 35.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Well if it WAS conditional on an extension, it should already be done, or else the deal has already gone through. Now they over paid (arguably) for him, and they will have to pay him the market rate. Despite his poor year last year, it's not a good look to deal for a guy and then go "Look last year you sucked, we don't think you are worth what your peers signed for".

I think he is going to get a 7M AAV x 5-7 year deal, and IF he doesn't rebound and has regressed into a 40 point player winger who goes missing in the playoffs, that takes a poor deal from the outlook become one of GMGM's worst deals ever and that is saying something.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Seems like there was an agreement in place before the trade and they're just hashing it out.

I know as fans we always hope the players will take discounts on their deals to help our favorite teams' cap situations AND at the same time get paid as much as they deserve, but I'm really hoping Patches takes a little less than the numbers I'm seeing in this thread, based on his quotes about how much he loved playing the road game in Vegas and how much he liked playing for Gallant in Montreal.

Not to mention, the tax situation in Vegas is MUCH different than Montreal - I hope that plays a factor as well.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Vegas has shown they won't go beyond 35. (Fleury being the lone exception). 5 by 7 sounds about right to me. That looks him up to 35.

They've only had two off seasons. Just because they haven't done something in the limited amount of time they've been in existence (which they have, ie Fleury) doesn't mean they won't.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Seems like there was an agreement in place before the trade and they're just hashing it out.

Essentially.

Likely McPhee spoke with Pacioretty and his agent and got the ballpark of what they'd want in terms of an extension, and McPhee felt comfortable enought to move ahead, and over the course of the next couple days they will hash it out.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
They've only had two off seasons. Just because they haven't done something in the limited amount of time they've been in existence (which they have, ie Fleury) doesn't mean they won't.

They've made it clear in media sessions that offering an aging player a retirement deal wouldn't be their thing. This is why we lost Neal. Great goalies seem to last a little longer.

Of course there will be exceptions. Every rule has exceptions. I can't imagine Patch will be one of them.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Man, giving the C on a guy who just arrived, on a team that went all the way to the SCF... this wouldnt go well

It won't happen. I guarantee it. Foley is a military guy. "C" is going to go to a team leader, whenever it IS actually issued, not "great player" or "We needed to give him this to get him on the team."

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I know as fans we always hope the players will take discounts on their deals to help our favorite teams' cap situations AND at the same time get paid as much as they deserve, but I'm really hoping Patches takes a little less than the numbers I'm seeing in this thread, based on his quotes about how much he loved playing the road game in Vegas and how much he liked playing for Gallant in Montreal.

Not to mention, the tax situation in Vegas is MUCH different than Montreal - I hope that plays a factor as well.

I don't see it being over 6.9AAV simply because MAF is the highest paid, and probably Karlsson after him.
It wouldn't make sense to bring in a guy for the 2nd line and throw over 7 million at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->