Proposal: Pacioretty & 1st RD Pick for Draisaitl

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We don't need any more LWers, we would use RNH or Dr.Drai for a puckmoving RHD. But Patches is definitely a player I would love to have.

I was searching teams with depth up the middle. Oilers came up and the only guy from the Habs who's giving value back and is a great acquisition is Patches. Doesn't appear to be a fit. Habs are not giving up D

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pacioretty and a 1st for Draisaitl????

I like Draisaitl, but this is ridiculous. Pacioretty is a proven 30/30/60 guy.

Good point but If I'm the Habs GM, I do whatever I can to get a #2C. Patch is the guy that will get you a top end center and although Draisaitl is unproven he's got all the tools and size to be a legit top center in the league. Patch is UFA in 3 seasons.

Top 4D and top 6F are extremely hard to get. Who is the Habs future 2nd line center when Plekanec is gone? It's a big problem for the Habs if they want to remain a Cup contender.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Good point but If I'm the Habs GM, I do whatever I can to get a #2C. Patch is the guy that will get you a top end center and although Draisaitl is unproven he's got all the tools and size to be a legit top center in the league. Patch is UFA in 3 seasons.

Top 4D and top 6F are extremely hard to get. Who is the Habs future 2nd line center when Plekanec is gone? It's a big problem for the Habs if they want to remain a Cup contender.

Understandable, but Montreal shouldn't and probably wouldn't give up a 1st rounder on top of MaxPac to get Draisaitl.

Edmonton would have to add something to get Pacioretty and I don't think they would do that deal either.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Understandable, but Montreal shouldn't and probably wouldn't give up a 1st rounder on top of MaxPac to get Draisaitl.

Edmonton would have to add something to get Pacioretty and I don't think they would do that deal either.

If I'm Edmonton I would never trade for a guy who's a UFA in a couple of seasons for a guy who's salary will be controlled and is a legit future 1st or 2nd line center. I love Patch and he's a true goal scorer with a wicket shot but Habs need to give to get a legit young #2 center. They are just not available!

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
If I'm Edmonton I would never trade for a guy who's a UFA in a couple of seasons for a guy who's salary will be controlled and is a legit future 1st or 2nd line center. I love Patch and he's a true goal scorer with a wicket shot but Habs need to give to get a legit young #2 center. They are just not available!

So if that's the case, then why would Edmonton do this?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No thanks from Edmonton. Draisaitl should not be on the table at all. And if we're trading a C, it will probably be Nuge, and probably for a defenseman coming back. Montreal doesn't have the right guy for that deal either.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No thanks from Edmonton. Draisaitl should not be on the table at all. And if we're trading a C, it will probably be Nuge, and probably for a defenseman coming back. Montreal doesn't have the right guy for that deal either.

Montreal may not be the right fit but I personally think LD will give you the better return. RNH has awesome skill but I consider him a soft player. I like LD more!

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Montreal may not be the right fit but I personally think LD will give you the better return. RNH has awesome skill but I consider him a soft player. I like LD more!

You are wrong if you consider him a soft player. He doesn't hit often, but he is not afraid of the dirty areas at all. Weak? Probably, the guy is small. Soft? Nope. Not at all.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Since the Habs are trying to win now, Patches is better, so no way habs do this.
Tho I love Draistl, wished we had him on our team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You are wrong if you consider him a soft player. He doesn't hit often, but he is not afraid of the dirty areas at all. Weak? Probably, the guy is small. Soft? Nope. Not at all.

He may not be afraid, but guys like RNH lose puck battles. That's a soft player in my opinion. Don't misunderstand me... I think RNH has elite offensive skill but LD is the more complete player and will get you the most return

Drydenwasthebest

Jun 16, 2009
This is an idiotic deal for Montreal. Draisatl is a good young center with alot of potential, but we are in "win now" mode and need the 30+ goals Pacioretty is proven to be capable of to win a Cup. I understand the desire to look to the future and try to get a solid young center, but he is not going to move us closer to the Cup than Pacioretty is. I also feel it is rather idiotic for us to have to add a 1st round pick to a proven 30+ goal scoring, 60+ point producing forward for a young guy with potential. Sam Gagner and Nail Yakupov had tons of potential when they were drafted and they didn't pan out. Draisatl SHOULD pan out, but he is not proven or a guarantee. Pacioretty is in his prime, only costs 4.5 million and is a proven goal scoring and point producing forward.

So, the polite answer from Montreal is "no".

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is an idiotic deal for Montreal. Draisatl is a good young center with alot of potential, but we are in "win now" mode and need the 30+ goals Pacioretty is proven to be capable of to win a Cup. I understand the desire to look to the future and try to get a solid young center, but he is not going to move us closer to the Cup than Pacioretty is. I also feel it is rather idiotic for us to have to add a 1st round pick to a proven 30+ goal scoring, 60+ point producing forward for a young guy with potential. Sam Gagner and Nail Yakupov had tons of potential when they were drafted and they didn't pan out. Draisatl SHOULD pan out, but he is not proven or a guarantee. Pacioretty is in his prime, only costs 4.5 million and is a proven goal scoring and point producing forward.

So, the polite answer from Montreal is "no".

Can the Habs win a cup with Pleky as your 2nd line center? Trading Patch is a sell high strategy. I love Patch, own his jersey, but if trading him gets us a future top end 2nd line center with size, go for it! Remember Patch is UFA in a few seasons. Draisaitl is already capable of scoring 20+ goals today. Patch may have a hard time getting 30 this year... mark my words!

But I hear what your saying. Win now mode. But when the going gets tough in the playoffs, Guys like Pleky & Patch go missing. It's been proven!

You would of also said NO to the Weber for Subban deal too right?

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
He may not be afraid, but guys like RNH lose puck battles. That's a soft player in my opinion. Don't misunderstand me... I think RNH has elite offensive skill but LD is the more complete player and will get you the most return

Guys "like" RNH lose puck battles? Maybe, but does RNH lose puck battles? Have you watched? Are you sure?

Guys "like" Ryan Smyth also lose puck battles. But did Ryan Smyth lose puck battles?

Don't judge a book by its cover.

Today... right now... RNH is a much better at protecting and recovering the puck than Draisaitl. Part of that is mindset, part of that is experience, and part of that is working with your god-given talents.

While, slender, Nuge is very strong on his skates, very coordinated with this stick, exceptionally agile and (these days) very risk-averse in terms of his decision making. He RARELY loses puck battles.

Maybe one-day Drai will be better in the corner than RNH, but despite his size, he isn't yet... and that's no slight on Drai, he's a very good player.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Guys "like" RNH lose puck battles? Maybe, but does RNH lose puck battles? Have you watched? Are you sure?

Guys "like" Ryan Smyth also lose puck battles. But did Ryan Smyth lose puck battles?

Don't judge a book by its cover.

Today... right now... RNH is a much better at protecting and recovering the puck than Draisaitl. Part of that is mindset, part of that is experience, and part of that is working with your god-given talents.

While, slender, Nuge is very strong on his skates, very coordinated with this stick, exceptionally agile and (these days) very risk-averse in terms of his decision making. He RARELY loses puck battles.

Maybe one-day Drai will be better in the corner than RNH, but despite his size, he isn't yet... and that's no slight on Drai, he's a very good player.

Defend RNH all you want but Drai is the guy everybody would prefer. I bet you the Oilers preferred to trade RNH to the Devils for Larson but the Devils said no we want TH! ;)

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Why in the world would the Habs do this? Straight up it might be fair, but it doesn't help them now... which is what they need. Long term this is even more silly.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
This is terrible for Montreal.
Just brutal.

And LOL at the Galchenyuk + first and the Patches + Sergatchev trades.
C'mon, guys.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Mainboard is funny. Habs fans say it's terrible for Montreal and Edmonton fans say it's terrible for the oil.

Truth is, this trade would fix the habs center depth but Oil seem like they're set on LW. As a habs fan, I would do this (maybe swap the first for something else). Edmonton need Dmen though and while the habs D is strong right now, they don't have too much depth. Doubt they'll want to give up on Scherbak since he's highly touted and set to replace Markov shortly. Juulsen is RD so the habs could spare him but I'm sure you'd need to add a lot on top of him to land Draisaitl. I heard Chiarelli likes Emelin as well so maybe those two could be the basis for a deal.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Defend RNH all you want but Drai is the guy everybody would prefer. I bet you the Oilers preferred to trade RNH to the Devils for Larson but the Devils said no we want TH! ;)

Nuge was, and still remains, a more important piece to the Edmonton Oilers moving forwards than Taylor Hall.

Scoring wingers are nice and all, but center depth is more valuable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad