Pacific Power

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
It is a good division. The Alberta teams, Anaheim, San Jose and Vegas all look good thus far. Vancouver and Arizona are doing better than most thought they'd do as well.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Average team points per division:
1) Atlantic - 36.88
2) Central - 34.29
3) Pacific - 34. 25
4) Metro - 31.50

3rd place. I guess that's what people now days call "power".

Pacific has played the most games in the league. I think average team points per game per division would make more sense and support your claim a little more here:

Average Games Played
1) Pacific - 31.9
2) Atlantic - 31.1
3) Central - 39.7
4) Metro - 29.6

Average Points Per Game
1) Atlantic - 1.18
2) Central - 1.12
3) Pacific - 1.07
4) Metro - 1.06

*edit - okay I see y’all figured this out later in the thread anyway.

We’re only 30 games in. Any of these divisions are a hot/cold streak away from completely flipping all of this. The whole “this division would send X teams” is silly right now with the disparity in games played.

Reactions: Uncle Bill

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
If you want to compare divisions using points per game, you should also account for intra-division 3point games

Reactions: gtrower

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
The All Pacific Team based on this years points per game:
Gaudreau/McDavid/Petterrsen
Tkachuk/Draisaitl/Monahan
Meier/E-Lindholm/Couture
RNH/Getzlaf/Kase

Defense:
Giordano/Burns
Doughty/Karlsson
H-Lindholm/Montour

Goalie:
Gibson
back up: Koskinen

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
The All Pacific Team based on this years points per game:
Gaudreau/McDavid/Petterrsen
Tkachuk/Draisaitl/Monahan
Meier/E-Lindholm/Couture
RNH/Getzlaf/Kase

Defense:
Giordano/Burns
Doughty/Karlsson
H-Lindholm/Montour

Goalie:
Gibson
back up: Koskinen

This team would have a pretty good chance at winning the Pacific

Reactions: Snakepit

Uncle Bill

Know it all
Sep 21, 2011
I think a lot of people came into the season with the notion that the Central was significantly better than the Pacific. And they do boast 3 of the 4 best teams in the Conference.

But if the playoffs started today, on points, 5 Pacific teams would be in and Gary would be pretty happy with the matchups: Nashville-Vegas, Winnipeg-Colorado, Calgary-Edmonton, Anaheim-San Jose. Now granted Dallas with games in hand would pass Vegas, but Knights are hot, and Stastny is about to join them. Hitchcock is getting results too, so the bottom 2 teams in the playoff race are trending up. San Jose has been streaky. Anaheim is rolling along, in spite of injuries. And well, Calgary, the cardiac kids are tops in the West. I'm not discounting Minnesota or Dallas, but it definitely seems possible that the Pacific could have 5 teams in the playoffs.
The onliest flaw with your match-ups is they are based on points and teams have games in-hand. It’s far too early to play the playoff matchup game.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The onliest flaw with your match-ups is they are based on points and teams have games in-hand. It’s far too early to play the playoff matchup game.

I know it's strictly hypothetical. Injuries can change a lot. Getting hot near the end of the race is paramount. The point was more or less to point out that outside of the top 3 in the Central, the Pacific is very competitive, and most people would not have predicted that to begin the year. The first round matchups were just a glimpse of what could happen, not necessarily what will. Edmonton could fall back after the initial boost of a coaching change, Minnesota or Dallas could get hot. It is conceivable though that 5 teams could come out of the Pacific division, especially if they keep winning.

Reactions: libertarian

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
There's only ten teams in the league above .500 right now. 5 of them are from the West and 2 of them are from the Pacific.

Five of the top 13 teams in the league are from the Pacific as well. People literally post shit here without having a clue about what theyve said.

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
There's only ten teams in the league above .500 right now. 5 of them are from the West and 2 of them are from the Pacific.

Five of the top 13 teams in the league are from the Pacific as well. People literally post **** here without having a clue about what theyve said.

Uh, only ten teams above .500 doesn't seem right.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
We’re only 30 games in. Any of these divisions are a hot/cold streak away from completely flipping all of this. The whole “this division would send X teams” is silly right now with the disparity in games played.

You should probably also figure out that amount of played game does not have any influence on the division standings for the moment? It was exactly the same for average points and average points per game.

Silly is the right word btw. Because what you really is trying to say is "hey I dont like you figures, cause they do not support my opinion".

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think a lot of people came into the season with the notion that the Central was significantly better than the Pacific. And they do boast 3 of the 4 best teams in the Conference.

But if the playoffs started today, on points, 5 Pacific teams would be in and Gary would be pretty happy with the matchups: Nashville-Vegas, Winnipeg-Colorado, Calgary-Edmonton, Anaheim-San Jose. Now granted Dallas with games in hand would pass Vegas, but Knights are hot, and Stastny is about to join them. Hitchcock is getting results too, so the bottom 2 teams in the playoff race are trending up. San Jose has been streaky. Anaheim is rolling along, in spite of injuries. And well, Calgary, the cardiac kids are tops in the West. I'm not discounting Minnesota or Dallas, but it definitely seems possible that the Pacific could have 5 teams in the playoffs.

up to about a month ago it was the weakest link

Kuz

May 11, 2015
You should probably also figure out that amount of played game does not have any influence on the division standings for the moment? It was exactly the same for average points and average points per game.

Silly is the right word btw. Because what you really is trying to say is "hey I dont like you figures, cause they do not support my opinion".

The difference are of course a lot bigger when one division have played more than the other if you only look at points and not ppg. The average team isnt 3 points better in the Pacific than the Metro if you take games into consideration. The difference between the Metro and the pacific is as close to a tie as it gets. Just last night the Pacific went to 1,069 while the Metro are still at 1,063.

If Carolina had won last night the Metro would have 1,071 and be ahead in ppg. When the result of a single game can change it between the two the gap is pretty much nonexistant. The Metro have 21 less games than the Pacific and need 24 points to tie after 260 games played.

Head to head the Metro have 67 points vs Pacific 61 points in their meetings. While the Metro are doing okey vs central 40 vs 48 points. Its vs the Atlantic the metro teams are getting crushed with only 67 vs 91 points. Pacific have been crushed just as hard vs Atlantic, but have less games vs them while the Pacific actually have a small lead over the central teams 86-80. The East are a total of +3 points vs the West so the sides are quite close this year. Atlantic +5 vs the West, Metro -2. Central + 19, Pacific -22 vs East.

Last edited:

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
If Carolina had won last night the Metro would have 1,071 and be ahead in ppg. When the result of a single game can change it between the two the gap is pretty much nonexistant. The Metro have 21 less games than the Pacific and need 24 points to tie after 260 games played.

Head to head the Metro have 67 points vs Pacific 61 points in their meetings. While the Metro are doing okey vs central 40 vs 48 points. Its vs the Atlantic the metro teams are getting crushed with only 67 vs 91 points.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda. Tell me about it when Metro is actually gonna be the strongest division. Cause what I see now is that actually you have an agenda. And your attempt to support your agenda with your own dreams and fantasies.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Shoulda, coulda, woulda. Tell me about it when Metro is actually gonna be the strongest division. Cause what I see now is that actually you have an agenda. And your attempt to support your agenda with your own dreams and fantasies.

Im not at all pushing them as the best division. Before the season I would have placed them second behind Central, but Buffalo, Montreal, Ottawa and Detroit have done way better than expected of them and have actually made Atlantic the strongest division on ppg and I would say they are pretty close with the Central so far if you take H2H into consideration.

Im just telling you the Metro are pretty much tied with the Pacific as the two worst divisions right now. The difference is neglible at least. They have a positive record vs the Pacific and they have as close to the same ppg as possible. So youre agenda of trying to push the Pacific as better than the Metro is quite ridiculous. The Atlantic and Central are quite far ahead of both this season.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Im just telling you the Metro are pretty much tied with the Pacific as the two worst divisions right now. The difference is neglible at least. They have a positive record vs the Pacific and they have as close to the same ppg as possible. So youre agenda of trying to push the Pacific as better than the Metro is quite ridiculous. The Atlantic and Central are quite far ahead of both this season.

Your logical chain is built on the following: "There is a mistake. It because the author of the mistake has an agenda. He downplayed Metro. So he is rooting for Pacific."
Well, it is one possible explanation, but there is no supporting evidence of it in this thread.

However, there is another possible chain of events: "There is mistake. Simple calculation mistake".
And there are some facts supporting it:
1) Author of the mistake has never discussed how far or how close the divisions are in standings. So it is pointless to use it as an argument.
2) Author clearly mocked Pacific in the very 1st message in this very thread. Which should give you a hint.
3) Finally, author of the mistake has a profile. So you can find on which team's forum author left 90% of his messages. And it is definitely not a team from the Pacific division.

Conclusion. You are wasting your and my time on the pointless discussion. And the reason of it is your lack of forum searching and logical chain building skills.

Last edited:

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016

Huh? I didn’t even present an opinion. I care not which division has more points a third of the way through season. But misuse of statistics, we’ll I just cannot stand for that.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Some Pacific division fans have little man syndrome it’s weird. I live in BC (and catch a ton of pacific games) and people around me are always talking about how underrated the division is, even when they were bad earlier, lol I don’t know what the fascination is about having the best division.

You’re giving credit to your biggest rivals? Or maybe it’s the fact people want to have the notion that their team “has it toughest”, mixed in with their team being good?

That being said I’ll ironically (sort of) state that this year. The top two divisions have been the central as always and the Atlantic, but this rise of the pacific buts then as a close third, gap then metro and they have the last three cups. Does a team even want to grab third in the metro? I mean seriously?

Reactions: Uncle Bill

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
3 out of top 4 teams are from pacific. So long to weak pacific posts.

It’s a little bit skewed because of the games played... but your point still stands. The top3 in the Pacific can compete with anyone* and all of them are really fun to watch.

*with the excemption of Sharks vs. Vegas... The Knights own the Sharks and that didn’t change in their 1st meeting with EK65, a 6-0 drubbing :help:

Let’s hope I have to update this post Thursday night, eh? :cool:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad