Pacific Division playoff hot potato

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I've been saying that if the team stays close to or better than 500 by the time McDavid is back, we should still be playing meaningful games after Trade Deadline

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Ballsy prediction, heres hoping it turns out correct:yo:

Really, if any of the teams from 2-7 get their **** in gear, they've got a chance. I just think, much like frag2, that if they can hang around until they get healthy and actually try to run three scoring lines, the Oilers will be in the thick of things down to the wire.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Really, if any of the teams from 2-7 get their **** in gear, they've got a chance. I just think, much like frag2, that if they can hang around until they get healthy and actually try to run three scoring lines, the Oilers will be in the thick of things down to the wire.

More than anything, success will depend on the team staying healthy once McDavd et al return. A healthy team might have a fighting chance, but when is this bunch ever 100%?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I like your optimism but I just don't trust this team yet

granted they'll be better after the all-star break because McDavid comes back but they'll need consistent top-notch goaltending to have a chance and Nilsson is too much of an unknown at this point

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I like your optimism but I just don't trust this team yet

granted they'll be better after the all-star break because McDavid comes back but they'll need consistent top-notch goaltending to have a chance and Nilsson is too much of an unknown at this point

The thing I like best with Nilsson right now is he's not making circus saves or having to make ridiculous goal-line robberies. His positioning is fantastic and he never really seems to be caught stupidly out of position a la Scrivens. I'd like to see him work on his glove hand a bit more but honestly that's about all.

He won't be the monster we've seen recently all season but I see nothing to suggest that he can't maintain a .915-.920 SV%. Honestly more concerning to me right now is what happens when he needs a rest and we have to ice Talbot. Putting a goalie in that can't be counted on to keep his SV% above .850 is like playing with a shooter tutor.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I have no idea how you are so optimistic still.

Edmonton's bad start this year has finally done me in for optimism. The woulda, coulda, shouldas, are now the not happening, hopefully someday, maybe never.

I am happy and relieved we are indeed playing meaningful games in December but really don't think it will last.

Other teams have games in hand, better rosters, and the Oilers are coming up on a rather difficult part of their schedule again. I expect the Oilers to be bottom feeders until McDavid comes back and then hopefully string together a enough wins that we can claim legitimate growth from previous seasons. A twentieth place finish would feel like a Stanley cup dynasty repeat after the last 9 years.

As you yourself wrote, the only reason the Oilers are in the playoff picture is because of how bad the rest of the division has played. Not because of how good we have played.

Short of making the playoffs and doing some damage as well I see major roster change ups incoming.

My predictions.

1. LA
2. Anaheim
3. San José
4. Calgary
5. Edmonton
6. Phoenix
7. Vancouver

Literally everyone can make the playoffs this year and really only LA looks immune to potentially finishing last. Although with Anaheim's talent it seems extremely unlikely they will have much troubles either.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I have no idea how you are so optimistic still.

Edmonton's bad start this year has finally done me in for optimism. The woulda, coulda, shouldas, are now the not happening, hopefully someday, maybe never.

I am happy and relieved we are indeed playing meaningful games in December but really don't think it will last.

Other teams have games in hand, better rosters, and the Oilers are coming up on a rather difficult part of their schedule again. I expect the Oilers to be bottom feeders until McDavid comes back and then hopefully string together a enough wins that we can claim legitimate growth from previous seasons. A twentieth place finish would feel like a Stanley cup dynasty repeat after the last 9 years.

As you yourself wrote, the only reason the Oilers are in the playoff picture is because of how bad the rest of the division has played. Not because of how good we have played.

Short of making the playoffs and doing some damage as well I see major roster change ups incoming.

My predictions.

1. LA
2. Anaheim
3. San José
4. Calgary
5. Edmonton
6. Phoenix
7. Vancouver

Literally everyone can make the playoffs this year and really only LA looks immune to potentially finishing last. Although with Anaheim's talent it seems extremely unlikely they will have much troubles either.

The biggest thing for me is I'm seeing a lot of growth for this team on the ice and that's without three top 6 forwards. The Oilers have played .500 hockey since starting out 0-4 and that's with a horrendously hard schedule.

The rest of December definitely isnt a cakewalk...

Sharks
Rangers
Bruins
Rangers (2nd game of B2B)
Hawks
Avalanche
Jets
Canucks
Flames (2nd game of B2B)
Kings
Ducks

But there are a lot of winnable hockey games in there.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
The biggest thing for me is I'm seeing a lot of growth for this team on the ice and that's without three top 6 forwards. The Oilers have played .500 hockey since starting out 0-4 and that's with a horrendously hard schedule.

Sharks
Rangers
Bruins
Hawks
Avalanche
Jets
Canucks
Flames (2nd game of B2B)
Kings
Ducks

I've seen a ton of growth in the teams play.

We have had some guys step up and make a positive impact: Nilsson, Sekera, Nurse, Klefbom, Leon, and Hall. Some others treading deep waters: Nuge, Ebs, Gyrba, and Schultz etc... but too many stinkers. Weak efforts against weak teams. Finding ways to lose rather than finding ways to win.

Buffalo is a much improved team as well but even in the "weaker" East I don't think they have a snow balls chance in hell of actually making the playoffs.

There is a very good reason management will not indulge talk about the playoffs this year. Because it would be a miracle if we made it with how poorly this team is.

I hope the Oilers prove everyone wrong, and there certainly is the possibility however faint. But the reality is that other teams won't let us make the playoffs. I don't buy it for a second that the Pacific is actually the weakest division in the NHL. The West is too big, too strong, too experienced, to "let" the Oilers make the playoffs this year.

Talk to me in the new year, hopefully I will change my tune. For that to happen tho I think the Oilers would need to win 7-8 of those games including all regulation wins against all our divisional rivals.

Getting McDavid back is no sure fire recipe for more wins but combined with the above would finally move me back into the optimistic category.

Feb 9, 2013

Sharks
Rangers
Bruins
Hawks
Avalanche
Jets
Canucks
Flames (2nd game of B2B)
Kings
Ducks

Oh come now...

Sharks - W
Rangers - L
Bruins - W
Rangers (2nd game of B2B) - L
Hawks - W
Avalanche - W
Jets -W
Canucks - W
Flames (2nd game of B2B) - W
Kings - L
Ducks - W

I see 8-3 for the rest of December.

Damn, I probably jinxed them... I changed my mind... 0-11 ;)

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
No offended and ornery Flame fans in this thread I see. How dare you not crown the Flames the kings of the world!

:laugh: hey feedback is fine, heck I don't really care if people get offended an ornery, it's the 'oh look the Oiler fan ranked the Flames last boo hiss' stuff that annoys me. Disagree with me all you want , just give some semblance of a counter argument as to why a -29 goal differential team (with a whopping 3 regulation wins) should be seriously considered for a spot.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
:laugh: hey feedback is fine, heck I don't really care if people get offended an ornery, it's the 'oh look the Oiler fan ranked the Flames last boo hiss' stuff that annoys me. Disagree with me all you want , just give some semblance of a counter argument as to why a -29 goal differential team (with a whopping 3 regulation wins) should be seriously considered for a spot.

Oh I hear ya. I read all the threads, and posts, in the off season from Flames fans who got super upset when anyone said anything positive about the Oilers. Even when they are in the gutter too, they still gotta make sure everyone understand the Oilers are the worst thing ever.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Oh I hear ya. I read all the threads, and posts, in the off season from Flames fans who got super upset when anyone said anything positive about the Oilers. Even when they are in the gutter too, they still gotta make sure everyone understand the Oilers are the worst thing ever.

Yeah. I stay away from that stuff, and there are a couple (maybe 2), decent Flames fans. But they sure don't like to look in the mirror. Must be the warts they inherited from Lemmy or something.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Imagine if Anaheim missed. That would be hilarious.

Anaheim is extremely top heavy.

Great first line (mostly due to two players in the Top 7-10 in their respective positions), great Top 3 on D, not much after that.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Great first line (mostly due to two players in the Top 7-10 in their respective positions), great Top 3 on D, not much after that.

Anaheim had a horrible start but I really don't see any way they miss.

Just something about the Sharks I don't like this year. Yeah theyve been missing Couture, but they have 4 players with 10+ goals, no one else has more than three.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

Sorta like this?

15a4a5f8c11753325916abac0429a975.jpg

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I see it as

LA
Anaheim
San Jose
Edmonton
Arizona
Calgary
Vancouver

Hoping that the Oil can make the push of course but would not be surprised if that bottom 4 is out of order.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Oiler luck - three wins and looks like there's a good chance they'll be back in tied for last overall after tonight.
Would sure be nice for them to get out of there so the media quits crowing about this. Not good "visually".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad