Paajarvi

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Every player has their price, but what possible motivation would their be to consider moving him?

He is young, plays a responsible game, is on a cheap contract and has a good attitude. We don't need help in goal or on defense, so unless we are getting a better forward or a very good prospect in return there is little reason to consider moving him. He certainly wouldn't be available for scraps.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Did the arrival of Morrow make him expendable?

I would say that Morrow more or less stole Paajarvi's spot in the lineup to start the season but no, this doesn't make Paajarvi expendable. The kid gets in the lineup as soon as someone gets injured, has an off night, needs a day off or Hitch simply wants to switch things up. I would guess that Paajarvi still plays a majority of the games this season. The Blues are simply super deep at forward is all.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Did the arrival of Morrow make him expendable?

Not quite sure what you're driving at, but I don't see a scenario where the Blues trade him. He's on a cheap contract and is still very young and early in his development. I think he's getting much different coaching than he had in Edmonton, and its going to take some time for him to play fluidly in Hitchcock's system.

The Blues depth, and Morrow's arrival in better-than-expected playing shape (and early success in the line-up) are cementing him a spot, though I'm not convinced he'll stay on a top 6 line. Most likely, someone will get dinged up soon and MPS will move into Schwartz's position while Schwartz will slide up. That, or Morrow will fade a bit and there will be a 3rd line position for MPS.

sdaltons

Aug 17, 2010
i'm not sure i really like the "just learning Hitchcock's system" argument. aren't derek roy and max lapierre just learning the system?

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
I not sure Paajarvi would be the replacement into the top 6 or even the top 9. I believe Hitchcock's love/trust for Sobotka makes him the likely first choice. I'm sure Paajarvi will see some playing time but he could fall behind Cracknell and Porter when it becomes time to fill in on the fourth line. I thought The Blues were a little higher on Paajarvi, but I just think they have a win now mindset so this will effect their lineup and roster decisions through out the year.

Things just have a different feel this year.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
i'm not sure i really like the "just learning Hitchcock's system" argument. aren't derek roy and max lapierre just learning the system?

For my comment, I'm also trying to gently refer to UNLEARNING the style of play that is dooming Edmonton's young star forwards to mediocrity.

Just think about this for a moment: Perron is maybe their most effective 2-way forward. The guy is better defensively than almost all of their top 9.

I think Edmonton is a train wreck in terms of team structure, and the development of their young players is part of it. I think MPS has the tools to be a successful NHL player, but he hasn't gotten to the point where he can play the right way without having to overthink things.

Lapierre already knows exactly how to do that role. Its one of the reasons the team pursued him.

Roy is a good question, though. In this case, I think you're seeing a guy that probably IS a bit of a defensive liability, but there is a deliberate trade-off for his contribution to the offense and play-making. And frankly, I think the Blues' forwards haven't looked nearly as good defensively as a group as they have the past 2 seasons. But its early and I think its a matter of getting fully up to speed.

Edgar

Dec 29, 2009

They were acquired because they fitted Hitchcocks system already

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
They were acquired because they fitted Hitchcocks system already

Derek Roy isn't exactly known for his defensive prowess. He certainly wasn't brought in because he fit in with Hitch's system. We brought him in because we desperately needed a playmaker to pair with Stewart to maximize his game.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Big difference between a 30-year old center that has put up 80 points in this league and a 22-year old kid who has done nothing but play for the worst team in the league.

Also re: someone else's question, yes I think Tarasenko fits this team more than Perron. Tarasenko gives us a pure sniper which we need. He's offensively talented, a heavy body and doesn't shy away from physical play. Neither does Perron, but his offensive "gameplan" didn't fit our team. Tarasenko's does, as it's more team-oriented. IMO.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Regarding Roy, Hitch coached him in the World Championships and said he entered as the 13th forward and by the end of the first week, was so good that he was their first left winger on a line with Toews and Sharp. There's plenty of trust and familiarity there. And if you don't know about Hitch coaching Morrow in Dallas, what hockeyless rock have you been hiding under?

Paajarvi is a kid who was rushed and has been playing for the worst team in the league with atrocious coaching. The difference between him and 30+ year old vets, regardless of where they've played, is huge. Give it time.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
To be honest from Hitch's comments it sounds like MPS played himself out of a spot in camp by not being as defensively responsible as they though when they made the trade.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I don't really think so. I think Morrow basically said that in July it was clear we'd make an offer, if he was still available, once we got our RFA's signed. When Morrow signed then Pääjärvi is the only spot he could take, so unless he was unbelievable in camp then Morrow was probably always going to start.

siegeofshanghai*

To be honest from Hitch's comments it sounds like MPS played himself out of a spot in camp by not being as defensively responsible as they though when they made the trade.

the guy has never been defensively responsible. He doesnt even throw a body check.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Checking has nothing to do with being responsible defensively.

Hopefully Paajarvi eventually becomes Steen-lite.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

I didn't watch him in Edmonton enough to comment, but I found it odd that he was cited as being solid defensively (granted this is from Edmonton fans....and I think their idea of defensive play is a bit different than Hitchcock's). It makes a lot more sense to me that the Blues got a player with lots of raw talent and speed who has been coached poorly. He has some ground to make up (and obviously the Blues have enough guys to put together an effective line-up without him).

Its probably going to be good in the long-term for MPS to have to work his way onto the line-up. Hopefully that equals a guy who is working his ass off in practice. Morrow is fading a bit, and I think is going to settle in as the 4th line guy we were picturing. A large body, defensively responsible player with speed to burn would be ideal on the Roy line, I just don't see Magnus as being anywhere near ready to be a regular on that line. But we need to see him in a game sometime soon.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I hope someone was sitting by him in the pressbox for the past 4 games pointing at Steen and saying "That, is what you need to look like."

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
I hope someone was sitting by him in the pressbox for the past 4 games pointing at Steen and saying "That, is what you need to look like."

Indeed. Steen has come a long way since his arrival from Toronto. I'd be thrilled if MPS turned into a faster Steen. (Without the slapper of course. Steen's slapper is well above average.)

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Indeed. Steen has come a long way since his arrival from Toronto. I'd be thrilled if MPS turned into a faster Steen. (Without the slapper of course. Steen's slapper is well above average.)

Steen has always been smart hockey player, who needed to boost his technical skill with hard work. MPS has never shown the same mental understanding of the game. Sure coaching will help MPS, but Steen is a rare player. His hockey IQ is top notch and not just because of his veteran status.

That doesn't mean MPS cannot become as high a quality as Steen, but it will be much more dependent on skill than on hockey sense. They really are not comparable players IMO, unless you are vaguely speaking about anticipated trajectory.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
It is true, he could become a faster, bigger version of Steen.

He is 22, so it's soon time to show some more promise though. When I say that, I'm not expecting big points from him just for him to prove himself of a roster spot.

SIU LAW

Apr 29, 2006
Just curious, if push comes to shove, can go Pajarvi to the AHL without being exposed to waivers?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad