Confirmed with Link: Paajarvi re-signed (1yr, 900,000)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
dont mind the signing.

but

A) for a team promising a youth movement.. we certainly have a lot of guys that arent youth under contract for next year.

B) scouts actually thought this guy was going to be an offensive super star in the NHL

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
dont mind the signing.

but

A) for a team promising a youth movement.. we certainly have a lot of guys that arent youth under contract for next year.

B) scouts actually thought this guy was going to be an offensive super star in the NHL

I think there's still room for youth in the lineup next year, particularly if Burrows and Gaborik end up on the outside looking in.

Hoffman-Duchene-Dzingel
Ryan-xxx-Stone
Smith-Pageau-White
Paajarvi-xxx-Pyatt

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolanin-Ceci
Boro-xxx
Harpur/Claesson

On D, we have 4 guys competing for 2 spots on LD; Boro, Wolanin, Harpur, and Claesson. We have an empty RD spot that either a LD fills, Jaros fills, or we re-sign Wideman to fill.

Up front, it seems likely that White fills a wing spot, but we're missing two centers leaving room for Brown or Batherson.

I could still see us trading Smith too,

Having said all that, I imagine that at 27, Paajarvi is considered youth when juxtaposed beside the likes of Gaborik and Burrows!

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I have a pretty strong sense that the 2C spot already has Brown pencilled into it, and going into camp it will be his spot to lose.

I also think that Smith will be traded (just to clear the cap space) and Formenton, Chlapik or Batherson will each get a shot for the 3rd LW opening.

Ideally, Gaborik and Burrows are both gone. Not sure how, but it kind of needs to happen.

Reactions: Icelevel

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I have a pretty strong sense that the 2C spot already has Brown pencilled into it, and going into camp it will be his spot to lose.

I also think that Smith will be traded (just to clear the cap space) and Formenton, Chlapik or Batherson will each get a shot for the 3rd LW opening.

Ideally, Gaborik and Burrows are both gone. Not sure how, but it kind of needs to happen.

That's how I'd like to see things play out.

Paajarvi is a great 4th liner, but I think he can slot into Smith's role while we wait for a guy like Chlapik or Formenton (not misplaced top 6 winger, but rather he ideal 3rd line wing role)

Our lineup next season could shape up like this:

Dzingel-Duchene-Hoffman --> good 1st line with speed to burn
Ryan-Brown-Stone ---> cerebral 2nd line, Stone makes anything work
Chlapik/Paajarvi-Pageau-White --> solid checking 3rd with some offensive potential
Paajarvi/Chlapik-Chlapik/Paul/UFA-Pyatt ---> potentially a safe 4th that a coach can trust not to hurt them.

D could look like this:

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolanin-Ceci
Boro-Jaros/Harpur

Then, you add our 4th OA (probably Tkachuk or Bouchard, but if we're lucky Zadina) and you have the starting of a decent team. We still need a top 4 D (maybe Bouchard is that guy, though that's another RHD instead of the LHD we need)

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
That's how I'd like to see things play out.

Paajarvi is a great 4th liner, but I think he can slot into Smith's role while we wait for a guy like Chlapik or Formenton (not misplaced top 6 winger, but rather he ideal 3rd line wing role)

Our lineup next season could shape up like this:

Dzingel-Duchene-Hoffman --> good 1st line with speed to burn
Ryan-Brown-Stone ---> cerebral 2nd line, Stone makes anything work
Chlapik/Paajarvi-Pageau-White --> solid checking 3rd with some offensive potential
Paajarvi/Chlapik-Chlapik/Paul/UFA-Pyatt ---> potentially a safe 4th that a coach can trust not to hurt them.

D could look like this:

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolanin-Ceci
Boro-Jaros/Harpur

Then, you add our 4th OA (probably Tkachuk or Bouchard, but if we're lucky Zadina) and you have the starting of a decent team. We still need a top 4 D (maybe Bouchard is that guy, though that's another RHD instead of the LHD we need)

If, a big if, Ryan can stay healthy...this line is very intriguing. Duchene's line is built for today's NHL - solid first line.

If White is not playing winger on the first line with Duchene, then I would like to see him play as a centre in bottom-6 somehow. I believe in his two-way upside.

If our goalies don't crap the bed, I don't see this line-up finishing 2nd last - a bubble team with younger players with potential to make the post-season.

Where's Claesson?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I think there's still room for youth in the lineup next year, particularly if Burrows and Gaborik end up on the outside looking in.

Hoffman-Duchene-Dzingel
Ryan-xxx-Stone
Smith-Pageau-White
Paajarvi-xxx-Pyatt

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolanin-Ceci
Boro-xxx
Harpur/Claesson

On D, we have 4 guys competing for 2 spots on LD; Boro, Wolanin, Harpur, and Claesson. We have an empty RD spot that either a LD fills, Jaros fills, or we re-sign Wideman to fill.

Up front, it seems likely that White fills a wing spot, but we're missing two centers leaving room for Brown or Batherson.

I could still see us trading Smith too,

Having said all that, I imagine that at 27, Paajarvi is considered youth when juxtaposed beside the likes of Gaborik and Burrows!
Macormick for the 4th line,I think he may do well with those two flanking him

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Solid.

Have to make smart deals for 4th line and this feels like GMPD used his own judgement and wasn't looking to get a player to appease Boucher.

Kid has had to work to stay in the league after being an early pick and character like that is always good to have. Like his speed and size too...decent shot to boot.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Not a fan of bringing him back but at 900k and 1 year there’s not a lot to complain about.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Macormick for the 4th line,I think he may do well with those two flanking him

When's the last time he played center on a regular basis? Not sure he's cut out for that role tbh. Maybe he plays LW on the 4th line if Smith gets traded.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He needs to be strapped to the rocket to ensure he gets to the sun. If his NHL career is any basis for comparison, he'll panic, try to do too much, and crash into Neptune.
Freddy Poise Claesson?
buckle up

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
When's the last time he played center on a regular basis? Not sure he's cut out for that role tbh. Maybe he plays LW on the 4th line if Smith gets traded.
Unsure but i would like to see him somewhere in the bottom 6...I think he can be a decent agitating forward for an otherwise pretty soft forward group...He seems to have a decent set of hands too for a 4th liner

otown

Sep 4, 2009
No issue with the signing, BUT this is adding to the glut of fourth liners on this team. Hoping some of those 4th liner get jettisoned.

Couldn't agree more! I suspect there will be a deal or two before or on draft day. Far too long the Sens have been overpaying 3rd and 4th line role players when there are cheaper options available to fill the same role and most importantly, have a chance to show they are able and capable.
Dorion has his work cut out for him!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I think Smith is pencilled in as a center until Brown or someone else proves he is better.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Solid.

Have to make smart deals for 4th line and this feels like GMPD used his own judgement and wasn't looking to get a player to appease Boucher.

Kid has had to work to stay in the league after being an early pick and character like that is always good to have. Like his speed and size too...decent shot to boot.

BUT he plays soft!

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don't see why people are happy with that. MPS scored 8 goals and 4 assists in 79 games last year. I mean, Burrows had 6 goals and 8 assists in 71 goals and was constantly trashed.

If the plan is to somehow replace Burrows by Paajarvi in the salary structure, then yes it makes sense. If not, the only thing it does is block a young guy like Paul or Chlapik

However there's an upside because of Paajarvi "untapped" potential. He has a nice combination of size and speed so who knows? Maybe he "puts it together" and gets over 30 pts... Other than that, I dunno, he's not that great defensively. He's fine but he's no RickCondra that's for sure.

So yeah, I guess the other upside is to get a late pick at the deadline because I hope younger/better guys will eventually play over him.

You mean to reduce the salary expenditure... Unless surprisingly Melnyk decides to spend to the cap all of sudden!

I think it's the perfect timing to trade Smith. He still has value but turned 30 y/o and could be replaced internally by a cheaper quality young player (White? Chlapik?). We got a lot from that 3rd rounder used to draft Smith already. 542 games, 85 goals, 80 assists, 165 pts and an important role in the bottom-6 for years (+ playoffs). All of that while he was pretty cheap

If the plan is to keep Karlsson, eventually try to only have players younger than him (he turned 28 today). So EK would be the benchmark for players age.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I don't expect the Sens to go all youth next season no matter what Dorion may have implied when discussing Boucher so this is a good depth signing. Paajarvi may not have fulfilled his pre-draft promise but he's skilled enough to fill in higher up when needed. I'm more interested in seeing who Dorion buys out or ships out! Burrows is way past his BB date

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Glad to see you've finally accepted Pierre Dorion as the Senators' GM, who makes smart hockey deals, waiver pick ups and signings. You almost always accuse him of always lying whenever he speaks, and constantly have said he never makes any good deals.

Glad to see you're come around, and are now a booster for the GM.
You know, everyone is in agreement here on a positive thing. Is it really necessary to barge in and ruin the mood? (vinyl scratching sound...)

Reactions: Hutz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad