Speculation: PA might propose delaying Draft Until October

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Oh ok yeah, I get that. I mean they'll likely have a solid three months off right now(assumption they restart in June?). I'm not really concerned about like players fatigue too much. It's the organization and signings/ prospect development. Idk. I just feel like a month or half month isn't a long time. I mean the season starts in November(assumption) so when does the preseason start? Same month as the draft?

I mostly mean front offices/coaches. They usually get a solid time in the off-season to work with players/prospects, etc, to see who joins the team etc. Playoff teams especially won't have much time to decide what and will have to work quickly!

Teams like ours, that could of hired new HC hires might hold off cause teams might not want a guy with very little time to adjust and judge his team.

Prospect development problems run much deeper, because no only is the periodicity of the season disrupted, but your prospects aren't getting play and development at any level, including crucial summer camps where the players and the FOs and coaches get to know one another.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I think there's plenty of blame to go around. The US certainly screwed up by refusing test kits and undersold the severity of the virus early in hopes of maintaining economic stability. This increased its spread and made containment pretty much impossible. Many people will die because of those decisions and throwing that blame away because the virus started in China is irresponsible. We have to learn from our mistakes and that means accepting responsibility.

This pandemic is an excellent demonstration of why you need compitent politicians. When we let tribalism put incompetence in power everyone suffers... Next time there's a pandemic the government needs to take the testing kits the WHO offers them, accept the economic hit, and start social distancing to limit its impact. We as citizens need to make sure the people that make up the government are responsible adults capable of handling this. They failed their responsibility; please do not fail yours.
If you're referring to the kits the WHO offered, the US wasn't one of the countries those kits were offered to. Those were meant for places with underdeveloped medical capabilities. Every country with advanced medical facilities developed its own testing protocols.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
It's totally fair to acknowledge that China screwed up. I agree. I'm just saying casting it as only their fault is also irresponsible. There's plenty of blame to go around.
China didn't just "screw up." They were actively silencing health officials and denying there was a spread of the outbreak. Not only did they try and shift blame to the U.S. (something the media is going along with) they have threaten to withhold the important pharmaceuticals, of which China produces 97% of all our drugs. They are an awful, disgusting regime that must be held accountable, otherwise this is just going to happen again and again.

Right now, they are saying there are zero new cases of the virus. Do you believe them?

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
China didn't just "screw up." They were actively silencing health officials and denying there was a spread of the outbreak. Not only did they try and shift blame to the U.S. (something the media is going along with) they have threaten to withhold the important pharmaceuticals, of which China produces 97% of all our drugs. They are an awful, disgusting regime that must be held accountable, otherwise this is just going to happen again and again.

Right now, they are saying there are zero new cases of the virus. Do you believe them?
On top of that, the WHO continued their narrative that China was doing an excellent job containing the virus, criticized countries that halted travel with China, and refused to call it a pandemic until 2 weeks ago, despite its prescence in dozens of countries.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
When this draft is eventually held, I believe we will see a lot of sleeper picks. A significant part of draft scouting occurs at the end of the prospects' season during tournaments. GMs and Directors of Scouting start attending more games to gather their own opinions on players. Late risers won't have the exposure to bring up their value. Could be very interesting to see how this pans out in a few years. More picks the better.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
If SARS 1 didn't happen... I could support that. But they had an epidemic come out of these ****ing wet markets before and as soon as the fire left their feet, they opened them right back up. Hell, just look at the god damn actual scientific name of the virus.

SARS-CoV2. It's literally the SARS sequel that nobody asked for. There were scientific reports abound that something like this was a ticking timebomb. Sure, maybe you can look at those reports in 2017, 2018 vision and say "that's some dude trying to make a name for himself or whatever..." but acting like the virus or one like it literally came out of nowhere like an RKO is nonsense. And yes, this puts blame at the US Govt's feet too. Italy, Britain, France, Russia? All majorly developed countries should be ashamed of themselves for being caught as flatfooted as they were. This kind of stuff is why you keep a guy like Fauci on your staff to think of crazy things that could go wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Would be time for draft adjustment.

First round only for 18-year olds at 2020. One round, 31 players.

Then year after, at 2021, first round again only for 18-year olds, and every other round after that for 19-year olds.

There was speculation of the raise of draft age, time to do it could be now.

That would be very interesting change, and having the first 2nd rounder would be quite valuable, when you get the best 19-year old, after one round of 18-year olds.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I'm all for anything at this point, but, IMO, a July restart seems a wee bit optimistic, given whats happening in a bunch of NHL markets right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad