Speculation: PA might propose delaying Draft Until October

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
So instead of drafting in June, they want to do it in October? If so, that helps Detroit.
Not sure how unless the entire 20/21 year is pushed back. Drafting in Oct means no prospect camp and tournament for draftees in September. I was hoping Byfield would be a starting C for DRW this coming year after dominating that tournament and then regular camp.

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
Or the PA which is why they are also aggressively pursuing ideas. Isn't just the owners hoping they come back to complete this season. But I think this will be a lot clearer in a month or two we just have to wait and see.

I think we'll have clarity in a couple weeks. The number of cases in the US and Canada is going to explode over the next week. Containment measures were put in place too late, and many are still going to work.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
If they hold the draft that late what are the juniors supposed to do? Or the college players? What about the ones who have completed their eligibility in each league. Just sit around for the nhl to finish their season?

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
If they hold the draft that late what are the juniors supposed to do? Or the college players? What about the ones who have completed their eligibility in each league. Just sit around for the nhl to finish their season?

No draft eligible player would have completed their eligibility in their jr leagues.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I’m talking about the college seniors and the juniors who have completed their eligibility.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Players obviously don't want to do that.
Why?
It would smash NHL revenues - and their cut of the revenues.
I think the players don't really understand what they're facing.
Because I don't think we're going to have a season in October, either.

I dont know how anyone can say whether or not we'll have a season this year or not, forget about next year. That is so far away. Some asian pro leagues have announced that theyre getting ready to start back up already. Not playing in front of fans but still playing.

I think we should all quit pretending we have any clue what will happen going forward.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I dont know how anyone can say whether or not we'll have a season this year or not, forget about next year. That is so far away. Some asian pro leagues have announced that theyre getting ready to start back up already. Not playing in front of fans but still playing.

I think we should all quit pretending we have any clue what will happen going forward.

Best reasoned course of action here. Wild mass guessing gets us nowhere. Even the people making these decisions have NO idea how this will play out tomorrow let alone a couple weeks from now. They are basically throwing all plans against the wall right now.

This isn't a scenario like normal rebuild talk where there are a couple very cut and dry paths to take. Wild guessing does nothing but cause panic and/or frustration. Trust the process, trust the people in the medical field who have more of a handle on this than Joe Six Pack. Keep an eye on China as they start to unlock their social lives in the next little bit. If they lax a bit and cases shoot right back up to scary levels, it could be some deep shit. If they open up and things stay more or less the same as they are now with cases dwindling down... maybe we aren't as terrifyingly buried in fear as we are now.

That's the scariest thing to me. We will not be able to maintain this social distancing, lock everything down version of life for the long term. It will not be possible. The pool of resources is not a infinite bin of money. I do not know the time when it would reach a critical point... but at some point, we will need to balance operating as a society with avoiding the spread of a virus. I'm not saying that as "I want sports back". I'm saying that that if the lockdowns and whatever continue into the fall with no signs of stopping... all of these stimulus packages will have to slow down. Just like if we didn't start social distancing the virus would have kept spreading like wildfire... the "virus" of people unable to maintain their businesses or put food on the table will spread just as virulently and deadly as if SARS-2 got them.

In the short term, quarantines and lockdowns are fantastic steps. But to have a functioning economy (not a flourishing, but just a workable one), people need to be able to work and produce.

Reactions: newfy

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Best reasoned course of action here. Wild mass guessing gets us nowhere. Even the people making these decisions have NO idea how this will play out tomorrow let alone a couple weeks from now. They are basically throwing all plans against the wall right now.

This isn't a scenario like normal rebuild talk where there are a couple very cut and dry paths to take. Wild guessing does nothing but cause panic and/or frustration. Trust the process, trust the people in the medical field who have more of a handle on this than Joe Six Pack. Keep an eye on China as they start to unlock their social lives in the next little bit. If they lax a bit and cases shoot right back up to scary levels, it could be some deep shit. If they open up and things stay more or less the same as they are now with cases dwindling down... maybe we aren't as terrifyingly buried in fear as we are now.

That's the scariest thing to me. We will not be able to maintain this social distancing, lock everything down version of life for the long term. It will not be possible. The pool of resources is not a infinite bin of money. I do not know the time when it would reach a critical point... but at some point, we will need to balance operating as a society with avoiding the spread of a virus. I'm not saying that as "I want sports back". I'm saying that that if the lockdowns and whatever continue into the fall with no signs of stopping... all of these stimulus packages will have to slow down. Just like if we didn't start social distancing the virus would have kept spreading like wildfire... the "virus" of people unable to maintain their businesses or put food on the table will spread just as virulently and deadly as if SARS-2 got them.

In the short term, quarantines and lockdowns are fantastic steps. But to have a functioning economy (not a flourishing, but just a workable one), people need to be able to work and produce.

Yep exactly. There will definitely come a point where the impact on the economy with businesses going belly up, people losingtheir retirements etc etc will become not worth the isolation as well. For a virus that is really only deadly to those that already have complications or the elderly it will come to a point where those are the people who will need to self isolate and society will get on with things. Not sure when that time will be but it seems like South Korea managed it in just about a months time. Obviously the handling of this got bungled hard in the States so it wont be that soon over here but it doesnt meant we're just going to have everyhing cancelled as far as 6 or 7 months from now for sure.

People wildly speculating with no real insight doesnt help things at all either

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Don't entirely hate this idea, maybe just pull it back a month? Idk.

I just feel like September/November isn't a long break period, but NHL/Players, they don't wanna throw the season away. It'll mess up the cap/revenues, etc. players like owners know it's still important to finnish out this season(if possible).

Outside of history, it's extremely important financially for the league to finish out the playoffs and season.

I think the NBA should look at a similar schedule really.
They are all on break as we speak.....

taylorjonl

Jul 3, 2015
Sandy, Utah
Nobody knows how the next few months we go. We don't even have a grasp on how far it has spread. Until we have enough test kits to do more testing everyone is guessing on how far it is spread. The government is doing the safe thing since they bungled the testing side of things, hopefully in the coming weeks we will get a better idea of how big the problem is.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The government is doing the safe thing since they bungled the testing side of things, hopefully in the coming weeks we will get a better idea of how big the problem is.

You mean China bungled things, right? China is at fault for this entire situation.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
You mean China bungled things, right? China is at fault for this entire situation.

It's not mutually exclusive.

China bungled things. US bungled things. UK bungled things.

There are MANY MANY hands in the cookie jar on this one. So... we should stop with the bullshit finger pointing, make a unified front and then after we are through the epidemic/pandemic... we can bleat at full volume how each other were responsible.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
It's not mutually exclusive.

China bungled things. US bungled things. UK bungled things.

There are MANY MANY hands in the cookie jar on this one. So... we should stop with the bullshit finger pointing, make a unified front and then after we are through the epidemic/pandemic... we can bleat at full volume how each other were responsible.

This is what China wants you to believe.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I just can’t bring myself to believe this season isn’t over. We haven’t hit the peak over here yet. It’s going to get much worse. It’s not unreasonable to think all sports are done for the summer. Is anyone going to flock back to the stadiums and arenas anytime soon? The sports world has shut down and I’ve survived quite well for a week or two now.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

I think there's plenty of blame to go around. The US certainly screwed up by refusing test kits and undersold the severity of the virus early in hopes of maintaining economic stability. This increased its spread and made containment pretty much impossible. Many people will die because of those decisions and throwing that blame away because the virus started in China is irresponsible. We have to learn from our mistakes and that means accepting responsibility.

This pandemic is an excellent demonstration of why you need compitent politicians. When we let tribalism put incompetence in power everyone suffers... Next time there's a pandemic the government needs to take the testing kits the WHO offers them, accept the economic hit, and start social distancing to limit its impact. We as citizens need to make sure the people that make up the government are responsible adults capable of handling this. They failed their responsibility; please do not fail yours.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I think there's plenty of blame to go around. The US certainly screwed up by refusing test kits and undersold the severity of the virus early in hopes of maintaining economic stability. This increased its spread and made containment pretty much impossible. Many people will die because of those decisions and throwing that blame away because the virus started in China is irresponsible. We have to learn from our mistakes and that means accepting responsibility.

This pandemic is an excellent demonstration of why you need compitent politicians. When we let tribalism put incompetence in power everyone suffers... Next time there's a pandemic the government needs to take the testing kits the WHO offers them, accept the economic hit, and start social distancing to limit its impact. We as citizens need to make sure the people that make up the government are responsible adults capable of handling this. They failed their responsibility; please do not fail yours.

You can be criticize a country’s response while also acknowledging China is at fault for not containing the virus and actively tried to silence those that spoke up about it. This communist regime must be held responsible and simply saying “it’s a world problem” is playing right into their narrative.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
This is what China wants you to believe.

Just because China was screwed up does not absolve us from screwing up.

Just like if Bowey passes the puck right onto a Rangers' stick, if Bernier just misses an easy catch save, it's not all Bowey's fault. Sure, he caused the scenario to happen, but the goalie could have stopped it also.

Believe me. I want China held responsible for their role in this. But saying "BUT YOU SCREWED UP FIRST" doesn't stop people from dying now. SARS 2 doesn't care who screwed up. It just is spreading and killing.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
You can be criticize a country’s response while also acknowledging China is at fault for not containing the virus and actively tried to silence those that spoke up about it. This communist regime must be held responsible and simply saying “it’s a world problem” is playing right into their narrative.

The thing is right now at this moment in time... it is a world problem. We need as a world to pull together to fix it. We can bloviate about blame once people stop getting sick in an exponential way.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
It's totally fair to acknowledge that China screwed up. I agree. I'm just saying casting it as only their fault is also irresponsible. There's plenty of blame to go around.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
My point is that everyone is acting like they would be working a solid 18-20 months, and that's not true.

Oh ok yeah, I get that. I mean they'll likely have a solid three months off right now(assumption they restart in June?). I'm not really concerned about like players fatigue too much. It's the organization and signings/ prospect development. Idk. I just feel like a month or half month isn't a long time. I mean the season starts in November(assumption) so when does the preseason start? Same month as the draft?

I mostly mean front offices/coaches. They usually get a solid time in the off-season to work with players/prospects, etc, to see who joins the team etc. Playoff teams especially won't have much time to decide what and will have to work quickly!

Teams like ours, that could of hired new HC might hold off cause teams might not want a guy with very little time to adjust and judge his team. It's concerning for me cause I'd like to move on from Blashill but Idk how to handle it now if the league restarts in mid June. Do you fire him then, and let your future HC coach the rest of the season to get a head start? Do you just ride it out and not fire him at all and let his contract expire? Do you just fire him at the end of the year if you really don't like him and hire your guy, with a short window to digest things... IDK. I'm perplex right now, don't know what the best route is.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->