Speculation: PA might propose delaying Draft Until October

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I'm all for this. I read training camp would start in July. Probably after 7-4? If they go through with this, Wings should have their development & rookie camps in June.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The ice is gonna really suck at LCA, and pretty much everywhere else.

I remember watching a playoff game at McNichols, Denver's old arena, and there were puddles behind both goals. They had to get the squeegee out to push the water out the door.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Playoffs ending in September, then new season starting in November seems like a bad idea. That’s going to be rough for the teams that get to the finals. I figured they would start the season in January and just have a shortened season in 20/21.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
source.gif

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Playoffs ending in September, then new season starting in November seems like a bad idea. That’s going to be rough for the teams that get to the finals. I figured they would start the season in January and just have a shortened season in 20/21.
True, but as a Wings fan it'll help us & most other teams in the standings & also hurts in the draft position though.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I would be surprised if the NHLPA supported this option, since such a long stretch of play would likely lead to more injuries.

But ultimately I don't really care how they handle the playoffs, since I probably won't be watching them, regardless of when/how they occur. I just don't want any measures introduced that reduce Detroit's chances in the draft (or free agency, for that matter).

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
I would be surprised if the NHLPA supported this option, since such a long stretch of play would likely lead to more injuries.

But ultimately I don't really care how they handle the playoffs, since I probably won't be watching them, regardless of when/how they occur. I just don't want any measures introduced that reduce Detroit's chances in the draft (or free agency, for that matter).

I think the PA will approve this because it will possibly lead to a more robust cap in 2020. Players want to ensure the most money possible is available to them, and the only way to do that is to complete this season.

Reactions: Snuggs

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Don't entirely hate this idea, maybe just pull it back a month? Idk.

I just feel like September/November isn't a long break period, but NHL/Players, they don't wanna throw the season away. It'll mess up the cap/revenues, etc. players like owners know it's still important to finnish out this season(if possible).

Outside of history, it's extremely important financially for the league to finish out the playoffs and season.

I think the NBA should look at a similar schedule really.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
assuming the global pandemic subsides

The only halfway realistic thing in this proposal might be starting 20-21 in November.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

This proposal is coming from some of the best in the game. I'd bet the rest will fall in line.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
They should just do the playoffs now on NHL2K21 online.

Or whatever the current game is.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just cancel the rest of 19-20, hold a virtual draft, and hopefully start the season in October. Anything else will probably pose unnecessary risks for players and fans, and have compounding effects on coming seasons.

This is probably the most reasonable take... but not sure the league can handle completely losing playoff revenue.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I am okay with whatever happens, there is no playbook or best way to handle a world emergency. It just is what it is

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
This is probably the most reasonable take... but not sure the league can handle completely losing playoff revenue.

Sure they can. They lost a whole year's worth of revenue, and two shortened seasons simply because millionaires couldn't agree with billionaires. There's no doubt they can withstand the loss of about ten regular season games and the playoffs. The cap will just be smaller. No biggie.

I think they are just desperately grasping at straws at this point. Reality will set in sooner or later that this season is done, and the hope will be that 2020-21 is minimally impacted.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I guess the lottery isn't happening because they gather witnesses from all teams in a room to do it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Or the PA which is why they are also aggressively pursuing ideas. Isn't just the owners hoping they come back to complete this season. But I think this will be a lot clearer in a month or two we just have to wait and see.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Just cancel the rest of 19-20, hold a virtual draft, and hopefully start the season in October. Anything else will probably pose unnecessary risks for players and fans, and have compounding effects on coming seasons.

Players obviously don't want to do that.
Why?
It would smash NHL revenues - and their cut of the revenues.
I think the players don't really understand what they're facing.
Because I don't think we're going to have a season in October, either.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I think what eventually happens is the end the reg season and start an abbreviated playoffs if they can get things going by June. I don't think they are going to end up having time to finish this reg season and hold a playoffs.

Rd 1& 2 best of 5
Rd 3 & 4 best of 7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad