P.K. Subban Thread - 5.0 - The "Doughty Money Vs. Lowball Bridge" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
MB is just making it worse by dragging this out...

The longer he waits, the harder it is for him to cave bc it sends bad message to others that if u play hardball, he'll cave.

For subban, with the lockout prep, he was already getting comfortable with the idea of no hockey this year... Think Meehan will let him give in now? Doubt it.

Habs have way more to lose, no subban this year hurts us, & subban can go play in Europe (I'm sure his khl offers are substantial) to get "playing" again... Can the habs really afford to let his value slip away just to prove a point?

Just suck it up, get the 6 year deal signed, and star spinning the positive PR already

I kind of like to perceive this as though PK Subban was an unrestricted free agent.

There's a guy, right now, who can slide into the Canadiens top four defensively and already has experience with most of the team. He comes at no loss of picks, players or prospects and wants to sign long term. He's under 25, he can play 20+ minutes a game, he has positive post-season experience and most people said when he put up 30+ points that it was under his expected production.

And Marc Bergevin won't sign him.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Dreger was on TSN 690 this morning and if I recall correctly he said PK wouldn't have a problem taking a 2year deal, but the problem is that even for a short term deal, he's looking at a similar cap hit to the long term deal, which makes complete sense.

As it was reported, Habs are trying to get away with a short term deal, at a cheap price. It seems they just want to squeeze two more years out of PK.
Montreal has enjoyed PK at an overwhelmingly cheap price these past two years. Their way of thanking him and acknowledging that, is by trying to squeak another 2years at a very cheap price. It's ridiculous.

They have to negotiate. But when Bobby Mac says they are 2-3M apart, after saying Habs are offering him 2.75M, this means PK is looking to get around 4.5-5.5M. How are they still so far apart though? Why have they not come to a just middle? 2y at 3.75-4.25M. I don't see why PK would refuse such a deal, especially after his words. So you have to think, it's more likely that Bergevin doesn't want to negotiate.
If he did, you'd have to also think there's no way he'd let a week go by before starting talks again.
You want to make a deal? PK is at home doing nothing and waiting, set up a meeting ASAP and don't leave until you guys come to an agreement. Easily doable.

Agreed...like I said, PK will have to wrap his head around the idea that he's not going to get a long term deal right now

But Habs need to recognize that offering him anything under 4M, at the very least, is just not a fair starting point.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Its a damn shame though...will we as fans EVER get a see what this team looks like with a healthy Markov AND Subban for more than 10 games in a row?

Jeez :shakehead

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
In evaluating Subban's worth, much has been made of the contracts signed by Tyler Myers, and MDZ. Myers will undoubtably be a touchstone for Don Meeghan, MDZ for Marc Bergevin. Here's a more apt comparable:

PK COMPARABLE

The Cap's John Carlson is very good. Big, tough, very high offensive upside. Like PK, his potential is only partially realized but his ceiling is very high. Their offensive stats to date are very similar.

Here's what Carlson is being paid:

"...One day before the current CBA expires, the Caps finally handed their 22-year-old restricted free agent his new contract: six years, $23.8 million."

LINK

It bears repeating that this contract predated the new CBA. Consequently, I believe it should represent a fair high water mark for PK's new deal.

Habitants

Oct 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Ok this is getting rediculous. I have the answer to end it all.

Bergevin wants 2 yr bridge contract at say 3 million, total 6mil

Subban want 6 yr mega deal at say 6 million, total 36mil

Just give him an 8 yr contract for 42million and the avg annual cap hit comes to 5.25mil.

I can live with that.

End the maddness

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Agreed...like I said, PK will have to wrap his head around the idea that he's not going to get a long term deal right now

But Habs need to recognize that offering him anything under 4M, at the very least, is just not a fair starting point.

Agree completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->