P.K. Subban Thread - 5.0 - The "Doughty Money Vs. Lowball Bridge" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjbhab*

What's this about 2.75? Is that what the Canadiens are offering?

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
PricePKPatch, would you mind linking to the Mckenzie article/tweet mentioning the 2.75, please? Might confuse people otherwise.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You do realise that it's a two way street. This isn't Bergevin's decision alone. If PK is willing to stand by his decision and sit out a full year, that's on him as much as it's on Bergevin. In fact, I'd put more of the blame on PK than I would Bergy. If he lets PK roll him now that he's an RFA, there's no reason every RFA's agent goingforward won't try the same. If PK wants to lose an entire years salary and hinder his market value, that's his decision. It's not up to Bergy to cave to PK's demands and pay him more than he thinks he's worth. It doesn't work that way in the real world.
So let me get this straight.
One of the tasks of a GM is to sign his players, and put forth the best team possible.
Now, if we believe Bobby Mac's words, he is low balling our best young Dman (and possibly player).
In other words, he's trying to screw our most promising young player and failed to sign him, and you blame the player??? Sure, that makes a ton of sense.

You realize that Bergevin's other task is to have vision and properly evaluate his players, so he can figure out what is best for the club in the long term.
We have very little to base ourselves on in order to judge Bergevin regarding this.
MaxPac was given a pretty good deal despite having only one full NHL season under him.
Price got a huge extension that is making him the 3rd best paid goalie in the NHL. Not sure he deserved that, but long term wise, I can agree.
Now, PK, after two full years of good hockey, and good PO performances as well, gets a short term deal. To me, this shows a lack of vision.
The fact that Bergevin is offering PK pretty much half of what he gave to Prust, makes me doubt his evaluation skills.

You're absolutely right, it's not up to Bergevin to cave into demands. Well, so long that those demands were unreasonable.
And this is where we differ, you decided to believe those demands were unreasonable, and that's why he needs to stand firm.
But from what is coming out lately, it seems to be the other way around.
Yet, you're sticking with what you said. Doesn't make sense.
As for what kids, I can think of a few. Tinordi, Bealieu, Gally, Leblanc, Holland, Bournival to name a few.
We're really going to go far with a bunch of bottom six and top 4 Dman (Gally aside).
Meanwhile, the most important player is sitting at home because you're too proud to give him a decent deal.

If you think it's not worth drafting a high end pick because they might hold out, I can only assume you're being facetious. The ONLY RFA who's held out, that I can think of is PK. Patches, Price, Plecks, Gorges etc etc etc ALL signed bridge contracts and as a result were rewarded when they performed as expected. If PK thinks he's better than the past players and deserves to be treated differently, than again, that's his problem. I don't see how he's more special than Patches or Price but he seems to think he is in his mind. I don't see a reason why a future draft pick would pull what PK is pulling now. I can't see Galchenyuk pulling this.

I'm not going to waste more time explaining how Price, MaxPac, Gorges, etc were nowhere near where PK was at the end of their ELC.
If you haven't understood that by now, you'll never will.
I think PK has drank a bit too much of his own Koolaid and wnats to get paid for his brand rather than his play thus far.
So you think 4M for 6years is too much? You think 2years at 2.75M is fair??? (which is more fair for a top pairing Dman, you tell me.)
You realize that those are the numbers being thrown around right now? That the rumors about PK wanting Doughty cash are gone, and gone.
Just to put things into perspective, Prust is making 2.5M for 4years.

PricePkPatch*

MISLEADING THREAD TITLE

Please note the date of the report quoted above: 8/1/2012 2:16:56 PM

Good point. I'll change the link. Check out the tweet I reported lower

edit: sorry for reporting the wrong link... But the rumor is true. Well, I mean, it is true that the current word is 2.75M$. Not that the rumor has been confirmed

cjbhab*

2 years 2.75 isn't enough.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about the cap hit too much if it's a 2 year deal. It's not going to handcuff us for the future.

2 yrs 4.5 per would make me happy.. I'd potentially be happy with 6 yrs 4.5 as well with no NTC.

Based on what Kulikov got though, 4 M is too much

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
To me this hold-out is showing us how PK is not a team first type of player. When thinking about it Price could have easily embarased the management by holding out when Halak was traded but he did not and accepted to take a 2 years deal and proved himself before signing his longterm deal. And before anybody claim how Price was not proved yet he was still the best young netminder in the game with the most value around the NHL.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
If nothing more substantial than that tweet from someone who seems a lot like a nobody comes out, we can't keep the thread title as it is. It's possible that it is just straight up false.

SakuSauce

Drive for 25
Dec 2, 2006
Montréal
John Carlson signed six-year $23.8-million...why not give Subban a similar contract? anything from 4-5m per for 6 years, just do it!

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
If nothing more substantial than that tweet from someone who seems a lot like a nobody comes out, we can't keep the thread title as it is. It's possible that it is just straight up false.

Bergevin has been really tight lipped about everything so far. I doubt we would be hearing any leaks.

If it doesn't come from the only real insider in hockey (MacKenzie), it probably isn't true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad